"Dura Ace - Open Pro" vs. Ksyrium SL

mgkaplan

Apr 23, 2006
I have read many good reports about the Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset and have been considering purchasing them.

Recently, my LBS suggested that I consider a Dura Ace Hub - Mavic Open Pro rim wheelset instead. The reason was that it would be a smoother riding wheel and easier to maintain over the long run.

Does anyone have any input regarding the differences between these two wheels.

mgkaplan said:
I have read many good reports about the Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset and have been considering purchasing them.

Recently, my LBS suggested that I consider a Dura Ace Hub - Mavic Open Pro rim wheelset instead. The reason was that it would be a smoother riding wheel and easier to maintain over the long run.

If your'e getting ths SL's make sure your'e getting the latest SL3 version.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/z...&PRODUCT.ID=425&CATEGORY.ID=802&MODE=SPECIALS

For Open pro's

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/z...ANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=1563&CATEGORY.ID=1123&MODE=

Is there a price difference? Not sure if that matters to you...

The handbuilt set will definitely be easier to maintain than the Mavic's, though there may be better hub/rim sets available...that might a whole new can of worms.

The Mavic's are great wheels, but I would lean toward the handbuilt option. Make sure you get good spokes as well.

My friends who have Ksyriums love them. They are light for clinchers, reasonably priced and take abuse. A very popular wheelset and they look cool too. You can use them for racing or training. Another wheelset in this price range is the Hed Bastogne: http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/bastogne.php

Handbuilt wheels is one of those myths that won't die. The Dura Ace hubs are nice but to say that hub/rim combination will roll smoother and be less trouble in the long run is based on what....... This is hair splitting to say the least. Either wheelset would work just fine.

park said:
Handbuilt wheels is one of those myths that won't die. The Dura Ace hubs are nice but to say that hub/rim combination will roll smoother and be less trouble in the long run is based on what....... This is hair splitting to say the least. Either wheelset would work just fine.
The less trouble "myth" is based on the absurd prices that Mavic charges to replace a damaged rim on one of their wheels. Many boutique wheels need to be sent overseas to have that kind of repair work done. Not a deal breaker, but something to consider.
Smoother riding however is complete BS. There will be a difference in stiffness, but you would need some pretty senesitive instruments to measure it. And while the Dura Ace bearings are serviceable, the drag isn't much higher or lower than cartridges in the same price range.

mgkaplan said:

I dont think there would be a measurable difference as to the smoother riding part but as to longevity and ease of maintainence chalk and cheese.
A hand built wheel by a top wheelbuilder like Peter John White will last far longer and if a spoke does break from an accident, it's easy to replace from any bikeshop. I would be checking out the reputation of the LBS for their wheels before commiting to them though.

Cheers

Geoff