Dura Ace PD-7800 series pedals... problems?

jlb1104

Jul 16, 2007
I am new to the forum.

I have a set of Dura Ace PD-7800 series pedals. Using them for almost two years now and there is a grinding noise coming from one of them. Possibly bearings?? I maintain my bike with great detail between rides but have not ever taken the pedals apart for adding grease since I have owned them (bought them new). But then again they have factory packed bearings. Now my local cycle shop is telling me that I may have not cared for them properly.

Anybody else experienced this with their 7800 series pedals. I had some cheap pedals and rode them for years before upgrading to these Dura Aces. Now this.

:(

jlb1104 said:
I am new to the forum.

I have a set of Dura Ace PD-7800 series pedals. Using them for almost two years now and there is a grinding noise coming from one of them. Possibly bearings?? I maintain my bike with great detail between rides but have not ever taken the pedals apart for adding grease since I have owned them (bought them new). But then again they have factory packed bearings. Now my local cycle shop is telling me that I may have not cared for them properly.

Anybody else experienced this with their 7800 series pedals. I had some cheap pedals and rode them for years before upgrading to these Dura Aces. Now this.

If they're grinding, it's likely the bearings are shot. Get 'em replaced.

alienator said:
If they're grinding, it's likely the bearings are shot. Get 'em replaced.

Can you replace the bearings themselves or do you have to change the entire pedal?

jlb1104 said:
Can you replace the bearings themselves or do you have to change the entire pedal?

You should be able to just replace the bearings. You can download a pdf of the exploded diagram here and a pdf of the service instructions here.

jlb1104 said:
I am new to the forum.

Have you replaced the pedal top cover ? This is a consumable that needs to be replaced when its flush with the pedal body