Dura Ace shifting problem

skyspotter

Dec 10, 2006
I was having loud crunching noises everytime I upshifted my downtube mounted levers. The noise was coming from the shifter not the derailer. I took it apart and greased it; no more noise! But it doesn't work either! Won't hold the high gear. I did not set the spring right. Anybody know how?:mad:

skyspotter said:
I was having loud crunching noises everytime I upshifted my downtube mounted levers. The noise was coming from the shifter not the derailer. I took it apart and greased it; no more noise! But it doesn't work either! Won't hold the high gear. I did not set the spring right. Anybody know how?:mad:
I don't know what "spring" you are referring to ...

For FRICTION downtube shifters, the tension is generally 'adjusted'/(i.e, tightened-or-loosened) usng the D-ring headed bolts which hold the shift levers on the clamp (or, frame) ...

If you cannot tighten them sufficiently, then you probably lost a washer ... you can cut a new washer using a plastic cap from a milk/juice jug.

BTW. If THAT isn't the problem/solution & if you you have INDEXED downtube shifters which aren't indexing properly then you may have simply put the plastic indexing disc in wrong ... take the shifter apart & when you reassemble it, try rotating the disc either +/- 90º or 180º to see if you can restore the indexing.

skyspotter said:

Which shifter? How many speeds? 8/9/10s? DA is different than other 8s DT shifters from shimano. 9s and 10s are essentially the same but can have small innards fall out of them of have the teeth break off making them inoperable.

http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/SSC/shimano_parts/Shift Lever/SL-7700.PDF

Same for 7800 and 7900

Peter@vecchios said:
Which shifter? How many speeds? 8/9/10s? DA is different than other 8s DT shifters from shimano. 9s and 10s are essentially the same but can have small innards fall out of them of have the teeth break off making them inoperable.

http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/SSC/shimano_parts/Shift%20Lever/SL-7700.PDF

Same for 7800 and 7900
It is 9 sp; I finally located the pdf file which gives unusual mounting instructions(its been awhile since I last played with it. It is working fine, spring intact. Thanks!