Dura Ace-shifting problems.

karries

May 26, 2005
Hi to everybody out there.:eek: Hope I can get some help to solve this problem.I have a Dura Ace 10 spd on my bike.The problem I am experiencing is the following.The gears are shifting very rough.I understood that shifting is supposed to be smooth.:confused: Shifting from 4 to 5 and vice verca is very difficult(it does not shift most of the time).I took the bike back to the dealer to have this corrected but to no avail the problem persists.I tried the shimano website but no help there.Any help is welcome.:rolleyes:
A merry christmas to everybody,have a great day.:)

karries said:
Hi to everybody out there.:eek: Hope I can get some help to solve this problem.I have a Dura Ace 10 spd on my bike.The problem I am experiencing is the following.The gears are shifting very rough.I understood that shifting is supposed to be smooth.:confused: Shifting from 4 to 5 and vice verca is very difficult(it does not shift most of the time).I took the bike back to the dealer to have this corrected but to no avail the problem persists.I tried the shimano website but no help there.Any help is welcome.:rolleyes:
Yes, shifting should be VERY smooth, particularly in the middle of the cassette. If this is a new bike, it may be cable stretch which is expected and should be able to be dealt with by adjusting cable tension. Did the bike fall onto the rear derailleur. If so, it could be a bent derailleur cage or rear derailleur hanger. There are other possibilities as well, including a loose cassette, worn chain, and more. The shop should be able to diagnose and fix all of these issues.

Take a look at the Park tool bicycle repair website for more information, and if your shop can't fix it, I'd find a different shop.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

:) Thanks John.It is a new bike and cable tension has been adjusted.The bike did not fall on the deraileur,as far as I know.:rolleyes: Seems like I shall have to change to another bike shop, what is the use of having a bike shop that cant fix these kind of problems?I'll have a look at the website you sugested.Thanx for the info.:D

Ask the LBS to replace the rear inner gear cable ($1-2), sounds like there may have been a kink not seen during assembly.

Try another LBS.
The problem you're having shouldn't be a major deal. Alot of small things could contribule.
You just need a capable person to spend the time needed to solve the problem.
Good luck.

karries said:
It's either bad casette assembly or a kink in the shift cable.
If you can take off the cassette you can check the assembly. Give it a close look for spacing and cog assembly.

Sounds like a kink in the inner cable to me aswell. Had a similar problem 2yrs ago on my bike with Ultegra 9. My LBS was useless until someone pointed it out to me changed cable and all was fine.

Best thing to come out of that experience with that LBS was I decided to learn how to service my own bikes and now do it myself. It has proven to be much cheaper and more reliable, I just have a good mate true my wheels as I am not up to that yet and all is great.

Yes,Sambo that is the way to go.I am slowly but surely also getting there(do it myself service)But it :confused: is a bummer that you have to pay people and still they cant do the job though.