Dura-Ace shifting

Mtventoux

Jun 30, 2005
I have a relatively new Dura Ace group, and recently rode two other bikes with DA shifting. The other shifters had a much tighter feel, especially shifting down. The inner shifter seemed very tight (harder to push) and the chain moved seemingly crisper. Mine seems to move very easy, kind of like it has a lot of play or loose cable. Is there a way to adjust the shifters? Could it be a difference of cables? I really liked the feel of the "tighter" shifting.

Mtventoux said:
I have a relatively new Dura Ace group, and recently rode two other bikes with DA shifting. The other shifters had a much tighter feel, especially shifting down. The inner shifter seemed very tight (harder to push) and the chain moved seemingly crisper. Mine seems to move very easy, kind of like it has a lot of play or loose cable. Is there a way to adjust the shifters? Could it be a difference of cables? I really liked the feel of the "tighter" shifting.
It may have been that the other bikes have old cables with gunk build up in the housings causing the tighter feel?

I know thats how my DA feels after 10000kms - hence the reason i am replacing the full cable set next week

Mtventoux said:

The first and best and cheapest thing to improve any shifting is cables and housing(5mm housing is what I recommend) and make sure the BB guide is clean.