dura ace specific repair manual or web site?

chrisc

Guest
Hi. I have a Trek Madone 5.9SL all Dura Ace components and I'm looking for a
book/manual or web site that has repair/ maintenance info on this specific
group of components. I have the bicycle mainenance and repair book by Todd
Downs and have also seen the Park repair manual. What is the best option for
me? Or are they all pretty much the same. Not every model brake caliper or
wheel is covered, etc. etc. Thanks

On May 28, 1:32 pm, "chrisc" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi. I have a Trek Madone 5.9SL all Dura Ace components and I'm looking fora
> book/manual or web site that has repair/ maintenance info on this specific
> group of components. I have the bicycle mainenance and repair book by Todd
> Downs and have also seen the Park repair manual. What is the best option for
> me? Or are they all pretty much the same. Not every model brake caliper or
> wheel is covered, etc. etc. Thanks

shimano doesn't provide much of anything for repair, it's replace they
want. there's info for installation and adjustment; the rest depends
on your mechanical ability and availbility of the right tools. a lot
of pins and spings are press-fit using specially designed holders to
do the job; so be advised if you start to tamper with any of those
you'll likely be buying your replacement part after you've endured
enough stress

chrisc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi. I have a Trek Madone 5.9SL all Dura Ace components and I'm looking for a
> book/manual or web site that has repair/ maintenance info on this specific
> group of components. I have the bicycle mainenance and repair book by Todd
> Downs and have also seen the Park repair manual. What is the best option for
> me? Or are they all pretty much the same. Not every model brake caliper or
> wheel is covered, etc. etc. Thanks

There's naught special about most of the DuraAce stuff, with the
exception of the shifters and new Madone BB. As for the wheels and
brake caliper, I like Leonard Zinn's road bike maintenance book.

Shifters: STI isn't repairable. Use it till it sticks, flush with
powerlube to attempt to 'ungunk' it, use it till it dies, buy a new one.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on."

chrisc wrote:
> Hi. I have a Trek Madone 5.9SL all Dura Ace components and I'm
> looking for a book/manual or web site that has repair/ maintenance
> info on this specific group of components. I have the bicycle
> mainenance and repair book by Todd Downs and have also seen the Park
> repair manual. What is the best option for me? Or are they all pretty
> much the same. Not every model brake caliper or wheel is covered,
> etc. etc. Thanks

What size is the bike?

Bill "send it here and I''ll fix it good" S.

This bike is awesome. It just plain makes you faster. I like speed. I could
imagine what some of the newer bikes are like. I got this bike off Ebay
about 2 yrs ago for $3000. Everybody in the stores and even internet sites
wanted around $5000. I was psyched. Bidded till the last second and won.
Crashed last year also , but only scratched up the shifters and had to
replqce the front wheel ($500 accident). Didn't touch the fram e though.

news:[email protected]...

chrisc wrote (top-post moved):
> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> chrisc wrote:

>>> Hi. I have a Trek Madone 5.9SL all Dura Ace components and I'm
>>> looking for a book/manual or web site that has repair/ maintenance
>>> info on this specific group of components. I have the bicycle
>>> mainenance and repair book by Todd Downs and have also seen the Park
>>> repair manual. What is the best option for me? Or are they all
>>> pretty much the same. Not every model brake caliper or wheel is
>>> covered, etc. etc. Thanks

>> What size is the bike?

>> Bill "send it here and I''ll fix it good" S.

> This bike is awesome. It just plain makes you faster. I like speed. I
> could imagine what some of the newer bikes are like. I got this bike
> off Ebay about 2 yrs ago for $3000. Everybody in the stores and even
> internet sites wanted around $5000. I was psyched. Bidded till the
> last second and won. Crashed last year also , but only scratched up
> the shifters and had to replqce the front wheel ($500 accident).
> Didn't touch the fram e though.

Funny you should mention that. I just took my very first "real" road bike
crash (on MY Madone SL) today. Front tire blew out on a very fast descent;
bead separated from the casing. Jacked me up pretty good, but the bike is
mostly OK. (Similar scratched up shifters, and front wheel is scraped along
rim edge.)

I'll post about it separately...

Bill "lotsa pain" S.