Dura-Ace SRM Question - Crank Length Change?

Roadie_scum

Nov 14, 2003
Is it possible to change the crank length on a dura-ace SRM? Like, say you bought a 172.5mm crank and wanted to change to a 175mm crank, would you have to buy a whole new one?

Roadie_scum said:
Is it possible to change the crank length on a dura-ace SRM? Like, say you bought a 172.5mm crank and wanted to change to a 175mm crank, would you have to buy a whole new one?

I have a DA SRM (and had a regular SRM before) and my best guess from looking at it is that, no, you could not change the crank arms on the unit. Well, I guess you could change the non-drive side, but the drive side looks specially modified to accomodate the SRM unit.

Roadie_scum said:

I think that you can. I looked on mine, and you have some torx bolts holding the drive side crank, to their spacer and then the power unit disc thing (haha). anyway, if you can get them to send you a different crank arm then i'd bet $20 you can change it yourself, if not they could. However, i've never been able to contact SRM ever, they have serviced mine and done a great job, but never once did they contact me about pricing etc.

so you might just have to send it in, tell them on the form what you want done, and they'll send it back. My guess is in the $150 range for them to swap the one side.

I have taken my DA crank off from the SRM, just be careful of tightening up the samller Torx bolt!
So yes you could change the crank lenght, if you are prepared to front for the cost of a new DA crankset for SRM to machine down.

Roadie_scum said:
Possible yes, but according to my fragile memory SRM will only do it new crank they source. So you can't send you crank and get them to machine it for you. (though things might have changed)

Changing the crank is easy BUT when you do he bolts up be VERY careful with the smaller torx bolt as it can shear in half, if you use the same force as the larger bolts.

I'd contact SRM in Germany to try to get another crank.

cheers peter

PSUcycling said:
er, i've never been able to contact SRM ever, they have serviced mine and done a great job, but never once did they contact me about pricing etc.

That's strange, I've always found the service center in Colorado Springs to be very responsive to either emails or phone calls.