dura ace sti shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bryanquinn, Feb 15, 2004.

1. bryanquinn

bryanquinn New Member

Can anyone tell me if there is any type of regular maint. that needs to be done on dura ace shifters? Like greasing or the likes?

Tags:

2. dhk

dhk New Member

The Shimano instructions have a Maintenance section, but that has only limited disassembly: how to take off the levers. Further disassembly isn't shown or recommended. No routine maintenance or lube is mentioned that I can find.

I've heard of spraying lube into them if they ever stick, but nothing else. I don't plan to touch my new STI shifters...for what these cost, they should work for a long time without problems.

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Yeah, they come full of grease,cannot really be gotten into, and if they finally get crudded up, one possible fix is to hose them out with a suitable solvent and relube with something like triflo spray. A classic case of .... if it ain't broke, don't work on it till it is.

4. 65cmFixie

65cmFixie New Member

Mine is broke, so... I have a Dura Ace STI lever that is misbehaving and I'm considering the disassembly route. Symptom: right lever will usually not shift from larger to smaller cog using the small inner lever unless I hold the larger outer lever still. Shifting from smaller to larger cog works fine. The outer and inner levers seem to move together when I try to shift larger to smaller using the inner lever and nothing happens. I have tried cleaning thoroughly with a spray degreaser followed by lube with tri-flow spray. It didn't make a difference. Any thoughts?

5. fr3d

fr3d New Member

Check to see if there is a screw still holding the downshift sti in place, it is a flipping small star shaped one, this is usually the cause.if not send off to service agent to fix, they usually replace under warrenty.