Dura-Ace thingie?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by ...Who Cares, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. ...Who Cares

    ...Who Cares Guest

    I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except I've a part left over!! It
    looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with the front deurailleur (it has H
    & L written on it) - But where does it go? I don't need it, but I'd just like to know what it's for
    as there's no reference to it in the fitting instructions. Anybody know?

    "I eat dead things. I peck out eyes. I'm a raven. It's my nature."

    o__ ...who cares _.>/'_
    (u)'\(@)

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "...who cares" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except
    I've
    > a part left over!! It looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with
    the
    > front deurailleur (it has H & L written on it) - But where does it go? I don't need it, but I'd
    > just like to know what it's for as there's no reference to it in the fitting instructions.
    > Anybody know?
    >

    > "I eat dead things. I peck out eyes. I'm a raven. It's my nature."

    > o__ ...who cares _.>/'_
    > (u)'\(@)

    That sounds like the bit the high and low adjusters sit on. Without that it's unlikely your
    derailure will be properly adjustable. If it is what I think it is it should sit below the bit with
    the two small ajduster screws.

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    ...who cares <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "I eat dead things. I peck out eyes. I'm a raven. It's my nature."

    My lawyer will be in touch with my claim for defamation ;-)

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  4. ...Who Cares

    ...Who Cares Guest

    God! I hope not it took me ages to fit all me new parts lol,

    Ya mean I'm gonna have to reassemble it?

    The part is 85mm long, black with a clear section showing an orange marker "Smudger"

    > "...who cares" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except
    > I've
    > > a part left over!! It looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with
    > the
    > > front deurailleur (it has H & L written on it) - But where does it go?
    > > don't need it, but I'd just like to know what it's for as there's no reference to it in the
    > > fitting instructions. Anybody know?
    > >

    > > "I eat dead things. I peck out eyes. I'm a raven. It's my nature."
    > >
    > > --
    > > o__ ...who cares _.>/'_
    > > (u)'\(@)
    > >

    > That sounds like the bit the high and low adjusters sit on. Without that it's unlikely your
    > derailure will be properly adjustable. If it is what I think it is it should sit below the bit
    > with the two small ajduster
    screws.

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b4ano0

    > My lawyer will be in touch with my claim for defamation ;-)

    can the truth be defamation?

  6. ...who cares <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except
    I've
    > a part left over!! It looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with
    the
    > front deurailleur (it has H & L written on it) - But where does it go? I don't need it, but I'd
    > just like to know what it's for as there's no reference to it in the fitting instructions.
    > Anybody know?

    Might if be an indicator of what gear you are in? The ones I'm thinking of have a transparent
    window, and replace a short section of the cable outer near/next to the lever. You clamp a red
    marker to the inner cable, and you can see it move as you change gear.

    I've never had one myself, and have always thought them useless, but I've seen them on other bikes.
    I would have expected you to have 2 of them though.

    Andrew

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b4ano0
    >>
    >> My lawyer will be in touch with my claim for defamation ;-)
    >
    > can the truth be defamation?

    No. I agree I do eat dead things, and even the occassional live thing, but I strenously deny pecking
    eyes out. The only eyes I have eaten had already been removed and arranged on the plate by a chef.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  8. ...Who Cares

    ...Who Cares Guest

    2 of them.

    Yeah me too - I guess that what threw me

    "Andrew Sweetman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > ...who cares <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except
    > I've
    > > a part left over!! It looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with
    > the
    > > front deurailleur (it has H & L written on it) - But where does it go?
    > > don't need it, but I'd just like to know what it's for as there's no reference to it in the
    > > fitting instructions. Anybody know?
    > >

    > Might if be an indicator of what gear you are in? The ones I'm thinking of have a transparent
    > window, and replace a short section of the cable outer near/next to the lever. You clamp a
    > red marker
    > the inner cable, and you can see it move as you change gear.
    >
    > I've never had one myself, and have always thought them useless, but I've seen them on other
    > bikes. I would have expected you to have 2 of them though.
    >
    > Andrew

  9. Paul

    Paul Guest

    "...who cares" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except
    I've
    > a part left over!! It looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with
    the
    > front deurailleur (it has H & L written on it) - But where does it go? I don't need it, but I'd
    > just like to know what it's for as there's no reference to it in the fitting instructions.
    > Anybody know?

    It inserts into the outer cable sheath for your rear gear cable, about 4-6 inches from the hoods,
    and it gives you an indication as to which sprocket of your cassette you're in. I think they don't
    come in two's becasue generally you'll you know if you're in the large or small chainring. Quite
    uesful really... Paul Hartigan

  10. It goes inline with your brake cable on the RH lever to indicate which gear is selected at the back.

    Smudger wrote:
    > "...who cares" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I've just fitted Dura-Ace STI Levers, Everythings fine with them except
    >
    > I've
    >
    >>a part left over!! It looks like a fishing float and I suppose it has something to do with
    >
    > the
    >
    >>front deurailleur (it has H & L written on it) - But where does it go? I don't need it, but I'd
    >>just like to know what it's for as there's no reference to it in the fitting instructions.
    >>Anybody know?
    >>

    >>"I eat dead things. I peck out eyes. I'm a raven. It's my nature."
    >>
    >>--
    >>-------------------------------------------------
    >> o__ ...who cares _.>/'_
    >> (u)'\(@)
    >>

    > That sounds like the bit the high and low adjusters sit on. Without that it's unlikely your
    > derailure will be properly adjustable. If it is what I think it is it should sit below the bit
    > with the two small ajduster screws.

    --
    Cheers,

    Wallace Shackleton. Kinross, Scotland.

    www.cyclekinross.org.uk

  11. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > It inserts into the outer cable sheath for your rear gear cable, about 4-6 inches from the hoods,
    > and it gives you an indication as to which sprocket of your cassette you're in. I think they don't
    > come in two's becasue generally you'll you know if you're in the large or small chainring. Quite
    > uesful really...

    I saw a cannondale (rip) R-someting in a LBS that had two of them, and a 3-er chainring. But what's
    the point? I couldn't always say what gear I'm in, but I certainly know if it's too low or high.

  12. ...Who Cares

    ...Who Cares Guest

    ...and also it just adds more weight to your bike....it may only be 2g but...erm...well..maybe that
    news:[email protected]...