Dura Ace triple 9 crank 7703 - in place of ultegra Ultegra triple 9 crank 6503

glucany

Mar 24, 2012
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and to the sport. I bought myself a used bike which is almost perfect for me, apart for the crank which is too long for my knees.

I have an ultegra 9 speed 6503 52-42-30; I would like to change the crank with a DuraAce 9 7703 53-39-30.

Is it possible to make a straight swap? Or, since the chainrings are different do I have to change the front derailleur and the chain?

Thanks a lot for or help.

luca

glucany said:
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and to the sport. I bought myself a used bike which is almost perfect for me, apart for the crank which is too long for my knees.
I have an ultegra 9 speed 6503 52-42-30; I would like to change the crank with a DuraAce 9 7703 53-39-30.
Is it possible to make a straight swap? Or, since the chainrings are different do I have to change the front derailleur and the chain?
Thanks a lot for or help.
luca
You can just swap the cranksets.

You should be able to visit your LBS and pick up another set of cranks. They're a bit tough to change yourself unless you have the right tools.

FWIW & IMO. The [COLOR= #ff0000]Shimano Dura Ace 7703 crankset[/COLOR] is one of the worst choices you could make BECAUSE it uses [COLOR= #ff0000]proprietary[/COLOR] MIDDLE & GRANNY chainrings ...

• that is, UNLESS you are getting the crankset [COLOR= #008000]for ¿!¿FREE?!?[/COLOR] ...

If you want to change to a Dura Ace crankset which uses an Octalink BB AND you want a TRIPLE, then get ANY 7700-or-7701 crankset whose crankarms are the length you want + TRIPLIZER middle chainring ([COLOR= #808080]N.B. [/COLOR][COLOR= #808080]if your LBS can't-or-won't order one for you then you can get one online from Harris Cyclery[/COLOR]) ...

• you will need an 8mm Allen Wrench to remove-and-install the two Octalink cranksets
  • you will ([COLOR= #808080]probably[/COLOR]) need a 5mm Allen Wrench to adjust the front derailleur's height + to detach-and-reattach the derailleur cable

BTW. Regardless of the crankset which you eventually choose, if your new crankset has a 53t chainring & your old crankset has a 52t chainring then you will need to adjust the height of the front derailleur higher unless it is currently set at the 'wrong' height.

BTW2. Try moving the saddle BACK by ~5mm +/- [COLOR= #0000ff]before[/COLOR] you pony up for a new crankset ... you may be able to save yourself some money which you can use for other purchases.