Dura Ace triple chain ring?

richl53706

Oct 15, 2005
I am in the process of building a new bike and the dealer has asked me to select my desired gearing. I asked what he thought of using a triple chain ring and he said he has never done this with Dura Ace components. Can any one give me the down side to this configuration?

Thanks,

Rich

richl53706 said:
I am in the process of building a new bike and the dealer has asked me to select my desired gearing. I asked what he thought of using a triple chain ring and he said he has never done this with Dura Ace components. Can any one give me the down side to this configuration?

Thanks,

Rich
Probably just snobbery. Most, if not all, the people with DA drivetrains use a double chain ring, because, well, the pros use DA. DA is also lighter and more .. durable (read: stiff). It allows for more efficient power transfer to the wheels when you pedal.

Really, let's look at it this way, if you need a triple, get a triple. And get whatever model you want. The argument against it could be that if you need a triple, then perhaps, all the "gains" you get with the DA drivetrain probably are an overkill for you: weight and power transfer for one. Unless you are super light, fit and race, then you won't notice the incremental difference; or you won't be able to appreciate. Kinda like a 250 lb person obsessing over saving 0.25 oz or thereabouts off a bike .. a bit of an overkill, if not pointless.

The rule of thumb should be: if you "need" a triple, then you don't "need" a DA chain ring. That said, get what you want. It will definitely up the "wow" value of your bike, if nothing else. And if you are already thin, race and are correspondingly strong .. then you fall in the don't-need-a-triple group. If it's lower gearing you want, with the triple, you could get larger cassettes and be fine.

By the way, what kind of frame are you building on (I'm curious for my own eventual project is all).

For me, personally, the downside is that whenever I'm given the option of an easier gear, I tend to take it, and my finess level diminishes accordingly. You probably won't have this silly quirk, so if you think you'll need the triple, go with it. Even if you use it 2% of the time, you'll be glad you have it when that 2% rears its ugly head.

Thanks for your input - I have put about 15k miles on a Kestrel with a double chain ring and it has served me well- so I still have some thinking to do.

My new frame is a Serotta Legend ST.

richl53706 said:
. . .I have put about 15k miles on a Kestrel with a double chain ring and it has served me well . . ..
Looks to me like you've answered your own question as to whether you need a triple. Unless you anticipate a big change in terrain in your future riding, you can probably stay with a double.

richl53706 said:
Can any one give me the down side to this configuration?
Any weight savings from the DA will be negated by the third ring, leaving you stuck with the higher price tag and little benefit.