dura ace triple crank gearing question

Robert Strickland wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>Ritchey, TA and carbon FSA available now, aluminum FSA in January.
>
> Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering 110/74 triples or just doubles?

T.A. does offer triple versions. You might also have a look at current models from Sugino and
Stronglight or old Shimano MTB cranks of the time before they introduced the 'compact drive'
system. All these cranks come with the traditional square taper which I like more than the
splined ones.

Guenther

Robert Strickland <[email protected]> wrote:
[110/74]
>Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering 110/74 triples or just doubles?

Well, there's no such thing as a 110/74 double, so...

But seriously, Sugino do a 110/74 triple Right Now.

"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I love the fact the road compact, aka touring or mtb standard, crank is becoming popular but want
> to say to everybody you know it is not a new thing. A few intelligently spec'ed cross bikes for
> the last few years used 110 or 110/74 cranks. What about the first generation RSX stuff?

Fiddlesticks! What about the original Sugino Mighty Tour cranks? Light forged arms and 110mm bolt
pattern- I've got a set I'm saving for a special bike. I bought my first set 20 (eek!) years ago for
my touring bike.

Jeff

On 5 Dec 2003 16:24:38 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:

>What about the original Sugino Mighty Tour cranks? Light forged arms and 110mm bolt pattern-
>I've got a set I'm saving for a special bike. I bought my first set 20 (eek!) years ago for my
>touring bike.

What size of cartridge bb do you use?

> Robert-<< Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be
offering
> 110/74 triples or just doubles? >><BR><BR>
>
> TA and Stronglight are either. Ritchey also, I think..

Its my understanding that for 2004, Ritchey will NOT have a 110/74 triple. But they will have a
110bcd double crank with 50/34 chainrings. Also, you guys forgot to mention Sugino has a 110/74
triple, like the Sugino XD here:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx.html

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:78e*[email protected]...
> Robert Strickland <[email protected]> wrote:
> [110/74]
> >Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering 110/74 triples or just doubles?
>
> Well, there's no such thing as a 110/74 double, so...
>
> But seriously, Sugino do a 110/74 triple Right Now.
> --
> David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

Do me a favor and re-read my post and then show me where I said anything about a 110/74 double.

"Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> writes:

> "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:78e*[email protected]...
>
>> Robert Strickland <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know if these or other manufacturers will be offering
>> >110/74 triples or just doubles?
>>
>> Well, there's no such thing as a 110/74 double, so...
>>
>> But seriously, Sugino do a 110/74 triple Right Now.
>
> Do me a favor and re-read my post and then show me where I said anything about a 110/74 double.

Oh, untwist your knickers. The way you wrote your sentence *implied*
110/74 doubles. David was obviously being tongue in cheek.

Anti-fiddlesticks. I knew the 110/74 triple and 110 double idea is nothing new, it has been around
many years, longer than my mentions of the few cross bikes, RSX stuff and so on. If I remember it
was Sugino that first made such cranks in the last half century but I am sure that bolt pattern was
manufactured by some one we don't know of in the 1930's.

"Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I love the fact the road compact, aka touring or mtb standard, crank is becoming popular but
> > want to say to everybody you know it is not a new thing. A few intelligently spec'ed cross bikes
> > for the last few years
used
> > 110 or 110/74 cranks. What about the first generation RSX stuff?
> >

> Fiddlesticks! What about the original Sugino Mighty Tour cranks? Light forged arms and 110mm bolt
> pattern- I've got a set I'm saving for a special bike. I bought my first set 20 (eek!) years ago
> for my touring bike.
>
> Jeff

I've managed to install a 39T double chainring on my stock Ultegra Triple crankset. It required that
I switched to a Dura-Ace triple derailleur. The shifting has been perfrect for me although, I do
have to use the trim feature of my shifters to avoid the chain rubbing on the inner cage of the
front derailleur when in the 39T and larger cogs of the cassette. I don't believe I had to do that
with the stock 42T chainring.

Claude

[email protected] (eflayer2) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> How about a double that thinks like a triple. Ritchey, TA, and FSA are all announcing compact
> doubles in the 50/34 size category. I can't wait to try this combo after using both DA and Ultegra
> triples. They work fine, but 12-25 or 12-27 in the rear with 50/34 up front sounds like efficient
> fun to me.

cool! you get to make the same mistake i made back in the 80s w/ the Mighty Tour. while you're
looking at the numbers on paper, ask yourself where the queen mother of double shifts will occur.

"Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anti-fiddlesticks. I knew the 110/74 triple and 110 double idea is nothing new, it has been around
> many years, longer than my mentions of the few cross bikes, RSX stuff and so on. If I remember it
> was Sugino that first made such cranks in the last half century but I am sure that bolt pattern
> was manufactured by some one we don't know of in the 1930's.

I recall that 110mm bolt pattern cranks started to become common around 1975 and then the 110/74
bolt pattern Sugino Aero Tour around 1982-ish. I wasn't around in the '30's. ;-)

If fiddlesticks and anti-fiddlesticks are allowed to mix, will the universe end?

Jeff