Dura-Ace triple FD and Campagnolo Veloce triple crankset

Leon

Guest
I did change old 105 Shimano triple front derailleur (FD) to Dura-Ace
Shimano triple FD (FD-7703).

Technically Dura-Ace FD is much better 105 FD. Very easy to mount and
adjust. But I found one unpleasant surprise: Dura-Ace FD is designed for a
30-39-53 crankset, but I have 30-42-52 Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed triple
crankset.

What is a optimal solution in this case?

1.. Do not change chainrings, just use Dura-Ace with the original 30-42-52
Veloce crankset;
2.. Change 42T and 52T to 39T and 53T;
3.. Change only 42T to 39T;
4.. Change only 52T to 53T;

Please, help!

"Leon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I did change old 105 Shimano triple front derailleur (FD) to Dura-Ace
> Shimano triple FD (FD-7703).
>

> Technically Dura-Ace FD is much better 105 FD. Very easy to mount and
> adjust. But I found one unpleasant surprise: Dura-Ace FD is designed for a
> 30-39-53 crankset, but I have 30-42-52 Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed triple
> crankset.
>

> What is a optimal solution in this case?
>
> 1.. Do not change chainrings, just use Dura-Ace with the original

30-42-52
> Veloce crankset;

That's the first thing I would try.

> 2.. Change 42T and 52T to 39T and 53T;

No.

> 3.. Change only 42T to 39T;

No

> 4.. Change only 52T to 53T;

No

> Please, help!

If the first possibility does not work get rid of the DA FD en get a
suitable Campy one.

Lou

Thanks for the response.

I can not use any Campagnolo FD, because I have Shimano 105 shifters.

Right now I ride with solution nr 1, but there is not room enough for chain
on the middle chainring.

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Leon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I did change old 105 Shimano triple front derailleur (FD) to Dura-Ace
>> Shimano triple FD (FD-7703).
>>
>> Technically Dura-Ace FD is much better 105 FD. Very easy to mount and
>> adjust. But I found one unpleasant surprise: Dura-Ace FD is designed for
>> 30-39-53 crankset, but I have 30-42-52 Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed triple
>> crankset.
>>
>> What is a optimal solution in this case?
>>
>> 1.. Do not change chainrings, just use Dura-Ace with the original

> 30-42-52 Veloce crankset;
>
> That's the first thing I would try.
>> 2.. Change 42T and 52T to 39T and 53T;

> No.
>> 3.. Change only 42T to 39T;

> No
>> 4.. Change only 52T to 53T;

> No
>>
>> Please, help!

> If the first possibility does not work get rid of the DA FD en get a
> suitable Campy one.
>
> Lou

"Leon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for the response.
>

> I can not use any Campagnolo FD, because I have Shimano 105 shifters.

Aha, mistake #1 ;-)

Lou

Leon wrote:
> I did change old 105 Shimano triple front derailleur (FD) to Dura-Ace
> Shimano triple FD (FD-7703).
>

> Technically Dura-Ace FD is much better 105 FD. Very easy to mount and
> adjust. But I found one unpleasant surprise: Dura-Ace FD is designed for a
> 30-39-53 crankset, but I have 30-42-52 Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed triple
> crankset.
>

> What is a optimal solution in this case?
>
> 1.. Do not change chainrings, just use Dura-Ace with the original 30-42-52
> Veloce crankset;

Must raise it up too high to get it to not hit the 42t when in the big
ring.

> 2.. Change 42T and 52T to 39T and 53T;

no ned to change the big ring. The front der and a 42t is the problem.

> 3.. Change only 42T to 39T;

Do this or get a 6500 front der, for the ultegra 9s triuple when it was
52/42...

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:00:27 GMT, "Leon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Right now I ride with solution nr 1, but there is not room enough for chain
>on the middle chainring.

Hi, you will have to raise the whole FD up. It will work, but not
optimaly. I ran a DA FD with a Tiagra triple [30-42-52], and worked
acceptably.
I also run a chain watcher, a N-Gear Jump stop, but I didn't install
it, until after I had a DA triple crankset, on the bike.

Your FD will work, it will just take some fine tuning. But, if aren't
happy with it, then the best thing to do, would be replace the FD with
an Ultegra,

Life is Good!
Jeff

Yes, DA FD works but tuning is very fine, too fine. I am going to get
Ultegra FD.

Thanks for the advice.

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:00:27 GMT, "Leon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>Right now I ride with solution nr 1, but there is not room enough for
>>chain
>>on the middle chainring.

> Hi, you will have to raise the whole FD up. It will work, but not
> optimaly. I ran a DA FD with a Tiagra triple [30-42-52], and worked
> acceptably.
> I also run a chain watcher, a N-Gear Jump stop, but I didn't install
> it, until after I had a DA triple crankset, on the bike.
>
> Your FD will work, it will just take some fine tuning. But, if aren't
> happy with it, then the best thing to do, would be replace the FD with
> an Ultegra,
>
> Life is Good!
> Jeff

39T chainring cost more then Ultegra FD. So, I am going to get Ultegra FD

Thanks for the advice.