Dura-Ace triple ft. Der. -) lousy shifting?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Verheul, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Jim Verheul

    Jim Verheul Guest

    Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery), do
    I need a DA big ring too?

    JV

    Tags:

  2. Don Vescio

    Don Vescio Guest

    For what it's worth, I've never liked the way front indexing peforms--for quite a few years now,
    I've been running a friction barcon for front shifing. I find that the shifting to be much smoother,
    there's greater flexibility for front der. trim, and I avoid the abrupt transitions associated with
    Shimano front indexing. Perhaps I've never given front indexing a proper chance, even with Shimano
    rings--in my mind, it just isn't worth the aggrevation.

    Don

    "Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    > just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    > old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery),
    > do I need a DA big ring too?
    >
    > JV

  3. Don Vescio

    Don Vescio Guest

    For what it's worth, I've never liked the way front indexing peforms--for quite a few years now,
    I've been running a friction barcon for front shifing. I find that the shifting to be much smoother,
    there's greater flexibility for front der. trim, and I avoid the abrupt transitions associated with
    Shimano front indexing. Perhaps I've never given front indexing a proper chance, even with Shimano
    rings--in my mind, it just isn't worth the aggrevation.

    Don

    "Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    > just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    > old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery),
    > do I need a DA big ring too?
    >
    > JV

  4. Jim-<< Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems
    to just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery), do
    I need a DA big ring too? >><BR><BR>

    shimano shifters and front ders really benefit with rings with pins and ramps....

  5. Jim Verheul

    Jim Verheul Guest

    Hi Don, I am talking about the action of the front derailleur here, not the shifters. I am using
    SRAM Rockets.

    JV

    PS I took your advice on building my XTR ft hub 3x by the way. Why risk it?