Dura-Ace triple ft. Der. -) lousy shifting?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Verheul, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Verheul

Jim Verheul Guest

Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery), do
    I need a DA big ring too?

JV

Tags:

2. Don Vescio

Don Vescio Guest

For what it's worth, I've never liked the way front indexing peforms--for quite a few years now,
    I've been running a friction barcon for front shifing. I find that the shifting to be much smoother,
    there's greater flexibility for front der. trim, and I avoid the abrupt transitions associated with
    Shimano front indexing. Perhaps I've never given front indexing a proper chance, even with Shimano
    rings--in my mind, it just isn't worth the aggrevation.

Don

"Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    > just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    > old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery),
    > do I need a DA big ring too?
    >
    > JV

3. Don Vescio

Don Vescio Guest

For what it's worth, I've never liked the way front indexing peforms--for quite a few years now,
    I've been running a friction barcon for front shifing. I find that the shifting to be much smoother,
    there's greater flexibility for front der. trim, and I avoid the abrupt transitions associated with
    Shimano front indexing. Perhaps I've never given front indexing a proper chance, even with Shimano
    rings--in my mind, it just isn't worth the aggrevation.

Don

"Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    > just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    > old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery),
    > do I need a DA big ring too?
    >
    > JV

4. Jim-<< Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems
    to just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using an
    old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris Cyclery), do
    I need a DA big ring too? >><BR><BR>

shimano shifters and front ders really benefit with rings with pins and ramps....

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

5. Jim Verheul

Jim Verheul Guest

Hi Don, I am talking about the action of the front derailleur here, not the shifters. I am using
    SRAM Rockets.

JV

PS I took your advice on building my XTR ft hub 3x by the way. Why risk it?

"don vescio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > For what it's worth, I've never liked the way front indexing peforms--for quite a few years now,
    > I've been running a friction barcon for front shifing. I find that the shifting to be much
    > smoother, there's greater flexibility for front der. trim, and I avoid the abrupt transitions
    > associated with Shimano front indexing. Perhaps I've never given front indexing a proper chance,
    > even with Shimano rings--in my mind, it just isn't worth the aggrevation.
    >
    > Don
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Jim Verheul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Do DA triple front derailleurs only work with chainrings with pick up pins or ramps? It seems to
    > > just smash the the chain into the big ring from the middle, with no lifting action. I am using
    > > an old Mavic 631 crank and original 53t big ring (with a 39t willow triplizer from Harris
    > > Cyclery), do I need a DA big ring too?
    > >
    > > JV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.