Dura Ace triple

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary

I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard 52-42-
30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work on any
triple ring setup? Gary

Gary wrote:
> I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard
> 52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work on
> any triple ring setup? Gary

I am sure Sheldon will respond here. It seems the answer is that you must use the supplied rings as
the inner is directly attached to the middle and standard (74mm PCD) inners can not be used, and
standard (130mm PCD) middles can not be used.

Ultegra is different though.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard
> 52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work on
> any triple ring setup? Gary
>

The Dura Ace tripe FD is optimized for a 14 tooth gap between big and middle rings, whereas Ultegra
is optimized for a 10 tooth difference.

As for the shifter compatibility, I defer to the DA experts (I wouldn't touch the stuff myself).

Kyle

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:29:02 -0600, Gary <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard 52-42-
>30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work on any
>triple ring setup? Gary

The DA triple front derailleur will rub on the 42 with a 52t big ring. If your big ring is 53t and
you get the front derailleur about 3 mm above the chainring, it can work.

"KyleBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:gVkDb.56870$8y1.225788@attbi_s52...
>
> "Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard
> > 52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work
> > on any triple ring setup? Gary
> >
>
> The Dura Ace tripe FD is optimized for a 14 tooth gap between big and
middle
> rings, whereas Ultegra is optimized for a 10 tooth difference.
>
> As for the shifter compatibility, I defer to the DA experts (I wouldn't touch the stuff myself).
>
> Kyle
>
I've used the D/A triple shifters and rear der with my otherwise Ultegra triple set-up on two bikes
for a year now. I really like the smoothness and ease with which the D/A shifters.work, and they
perform perfectly. I'm about to do the same thing on my wife's Calfee.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Gary wrote:
> > I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard
> > 52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work
> > on any triple ring setup? Gary
>
> I am sure Sheldon will respond here. It seems the answer is that you must use the supplied rings
> as the inner is directly attached to the middle and standard (74mm PCD) inners can not be used,
> and standard (130mm PCD) middles can not be used.
>
> Ultegra is different though.

This is true. If you use a DA triple crank, you are limited to 52-39-30, period. Unlike the
ultegra or other triple cranks that use a "standard" 110/74 bolt pattern, Shimano decided to
"triplize" the DA triple crank and does what's stated above attached the small inner chainring to
the middle chainring. Both are proprietary to Shimano and NO OTHER CHAINRING IS AVAILABLE. IF you
want to use DA triple, get the ultegra triple crank with everything else DA triple and be done. If
you're one of those who feels that the ultegra triple is not "fancy or good enough", take a look
at TA cranks here:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/zephyr.asp

But no DA FD, right?

Dave Thompson wrote:

>"KyleBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gVkDb.56870$8y1.225788@attbi_s52...
>
>
>>"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>>
>>>I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with standard
>>>52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? Do the Dura Ace triple shifters work
>>>on any triple ring setup? Gary
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>The Dura Ace tripe FD is optimized for a 14 tooth gap between big and
>>
>>
>middle
>
>
>>rings, whereas Ultegra is optimized for a 10 tooth difference.
>>
>>As for the shifter compatibility, I defer to the DA experts (I wouldn't touch the stuff myself).
>>
>>Kyle
>>
>>
>>
>I've used the D/A triple shifters and rear der with my otherwise Ultegra triple set-up on two bikes
>for a year now. I really like the smoothness and ease with which the D/A shifters.work, and they
>perform perfectly. I'm about to do the same thing on my wife's Calfee.
>
>

"Gary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> But no DA FD, right?
>

I've not tried the D/A triple front der yet, though I do have one to install on one of my bikes this
winter. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work OK. It's got more lift to, as the other poster said,
shift from the 39 to the 53 rings.

Gary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> But no DA FD, right?
>
>
Hi, I'm using a DA FD with a Tiagra 52-42-30 crankset. It works fine, but seems to need careful
setup. When I had it installed, it worked fine, but after I took the bike in for the free 90 day
tuneup, it was rubbing. I took it back and they were able to adjust it correctly. I didn't know
that I'd have been better of with an Ultegra FD, when I requested it as an upgrade to the Tiagra
FD. It will all workout though, as I am most likely going to put a DA triple crank on the bike. I
have read the reasons not to go with the DA triple, but I don't think that for the type of riding I
do, I'll want to change the chainrings. I want the 53t and on my other bike I have a 52-39 double
and I like the 39t.

I'm running a 25-14 cassette on the bike now. I was going to go to a 23-13, but I got to thinking. I
have a 25-12, so I may try taking the 25-14 and remove the 23, then add a 12 on the end. I'd prefer
a 13, but I don't have one. That would give me 25,21,19,18,17,16,15,14,12. With the 53-39-30
crankset, I think that will work well for me. Does anyone see a problem with the 25 to 21 jump or
the 14 to 12? It is only on the rare downhill, that I need to go lower than the 14, so the 12 would
work there. My other bike has a 6-speed freewheel, so I'm used to the big jumps having
28,24,21,18,16,14. I do like the tighter ratios, where I have them. That is why I went to the 25-14,
so I'd have an 18 and a 16. Life is Good! Jeff

gary-<< I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with
standard 52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? >><BR><BR>

Must use a DA triple front der with a DA crank. Can use a DA triple front der with an ultegra crank.
Cannot use an ultegra front der with a DA crank.

DA triple is very finnicky and for best possible results, use DA triple stuff in the front.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

So, I CAN use a DA triple FD with an Ultegra triple chainring set up.......right? Gary

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

>gary-<< I'm a bit confused by the Dura Ace triple options. Can I use a Dura Ace triple FD with
>standard 52-42-30 rings or must I have the 52-39-30 Dura Ace rings? >><BR><BR>
>
>Must use a DA triple front der with a DA crank. Can use a DA triple front der with an ultegra
>crank. Cannot use an ultegra front der with a DA crank.
>
>DA triple is very finnicky and for best possible results, use DA triple stuff in the front.
>
>Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
>(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On 15 Dec 2003 17:41:00 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:

>I'm running a 25-14 cassette on the bike now. I was going to go to a 23-13, but I got to thinking.
>I have a 25-12, so I may try taking the 25-14 and remove the 23, then add a 12 on the end. I'd
>prefer a 13, but I don't have one. That would give me 25,21,19,18,17,16,15,14,12. With the 53-39-30
>crankset, I think that will work well for me.

Shimano sells a 13/25 cassette. You have to search around for it because I don't think that Quality
has it for dealers. You can use an 8sp 13t end cog, which can be purchased. I can sell you one of
those for $11 shipped. I have 9sp 13t cogs but they are $18 and you might as well buy a cassette
instead of that.

I used the 13t cogs to make 13/28 out of 12/25 cassettes or 13/30 out of 12/27s. I now use 50/34
cranks and don't need the 13t cogs.

Where do you get the 30t cogs?
B
"Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 15 Dec 2003 17:41:00 -0800, [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote:
>
> >I'm running a 25-14 cassette on the bike now. I was going to go to a 23-13, but I got to
> >thinking. I have a 25-12, so I may try taking the 25-14 and remove the 23, then add a 12 on the
> >end. I'd prefer a 13, but I don't have one. That would give me 25,21,19,18,17,16,15,14,12. With
> >the 53-39-30 crankset, I think that will work well for me.
>
> Shimano sells a 13/25 cassette. You have to search around for it because I don't think that
> Quality has it for dealers. You can use an 8sp 13t end cog, which can be purchased. I can sell you
> one of those for $11 shipped. I have 9sp 13t cogs but they are $18 and you might as well buy a
> cassette instead of that.
>
> I used the 13t cogs to make 13/28 out of 12/25 cassettes or 13/30 out of 12/27s. I now use 50/34
> cranks and don't need the 13t cogs.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:59:22 -0500, "Belij3"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Where do you get the 30t cogs?

I got one off of a used up 7sp cassette. Another was a UG cog that my lbs shop had. It has the same
spline pattern but no HG ramps. I'd guess that the cogs are available from Shimano.

Status
Not open for further replies.