Dura Ace - unidentified part came with levers?

JungleBiker

May 17, 2004
I just opened a box of Dura Ace brake/gear levers and inside there is a small tublar thingy with a red blob inside the clear section and markings on the tube showing H and L - it looks like some type of in-line gear indicator. Anybody know what it is and what to do with it? :confused: I can't see any reference to it in the Shimano instruction sheet (maybe I am going blind?). :(

Thanks.

It is an inline gear indicator.

You mount it on the STI lever's cable exit point, and then run the housing/cable to the rear derailleur from the indicator's exit point.

From memory, to 'reset' the little ball inside, you do a full sweep up then down the cogs.

JungleBiker said:
I just opened a box of Dura Ace brake/gear levers and inside there is a small tublar thingy with a red blob inside the clear section and markings on the tube showing H and L - it looks like some type of in-line gear indicator. Anybody know what it is and what to do with it? :confused: I can't see any reference to it in the Shimano instruction sheet (maybe I am going blind?). :(

Thanks.
You guessed it.
It is called the "Right Hand Indicator Unit" or Optical Gear Display":
http://bike.shimano.com/media/cycli...nents/ST/EV-ST-7800_v1_m56577569830536821.pdf

Guys,

Thanks for the heads up on this little part. I got one from the LBS and fitted it to the rear STI Cable of the GF's Felt.

She can now ride with both hands and doesn't need to use her fingers to count her gears. :D

gclark8 said:
Guys,

Thanks for the heads up on this little part. I got one from the LBS and fitted it to the rear STI Cable of the GF's Felt.

She can now ride with both hands and doesn't need to use her fingers to count her gears. :D
Thats why you should date brunettes! :p :eek: