dura ace vs chorus

encomium

Dec 23, 2006
hi all

i'm currently contemplating upgrading my current groupset from Shimano 105 to with DA or Chorus. I've seen them both offered at about the same price, so now I would like some opinions.

Ergonomically, I don't mind either Shimano or Campy. As mentioned, I'm currently on 105 (10 speed) and used to have a bike with Campy Daytona 9speed.

My bike is a 2007 LOOK 565, and I guess the only thing is that I am now running Dura Ace wheelset (WH7801SL) which I think are great wheels, but if I do go for campy, then I'll have to get new wheels too...

thanks in advance!!!

encomium said:
hi all

i'm currently contemplating upgrading my current groupset from Shimano 105 to with DA or Chorus. I've seen them both offered at about the same price, so now I would like some opinions.

Ergonomically, I don't mind either Shimano or Campy. As mentioned, I'm currently on 105 (10 speed) and used to have a bike with Campy Daytona 9speed.

My bike is a 2007 LOOK 565, and I guess the only thing is that I am now running Dura Ace wheelset (WH7801SL) which I think are great wheels, but if I do go for campy, then I'll have to get new wheels too...

thanks in advance!!!

Well, my preference would be Chorus, but then I run record......and it is my preference after all. If you're happy with 105, then I guess you have to ask yourself if you really want to shift manufacturers. Are you happy with your wheels? Is there something you don't like about 105/Shimano?

For my own part, I think Shimano is ugly, and comparing Record to Dura Ace on the road, I much preferred the function of Record to that of Dura Ace.

It will be similar in price as well as weight. At this point they will both function nearly perfect (if maintained well anyway) so it comes down to preference. About the wheels, I believe you cannot change the cassette body on the Shimano wheels to Campy unfortunately. You could always sell those wheels if you decide to go to Campy then get some high end Campy wheels. This will run you a little bit so I'd say to go with Shimano. Either way, you really won't be disappointed.

If your wheels are Shimano, go DA. If you want performance:value:weight go DA. If you want a nice lookig group, go Chorus. By that I mean infinitely better looking. You can't get an amazing looking bike with Shimano, the levers and crank ruin it.

hi

If life span is an issue I guess high-end Shimano equipment last's longer... I broke a fairly new C. Chorus seatpost once ! (i'm still alive :))

Regards

bobbyOCR said:
You can't get an amazing looking bike with Shimano, the levers and crank ruin it.

I disagree. The look of a well-engineered and precisely machined piece of alloy does a lot more for me than carbon. My .02.

youhaditcoming said:
hi

If life span is an issue I guess high-end Shimano equipment last's longer... I broke a fairly new C. Chorus seatpost once ! (i'm still alive :))

Regards
I've used both and prefer campagnolo for service, longevity and ease of repair. All parts, right down to shifter internals, are replaceable. Break something in a Dura Ace lever and you have to throw the whole thing.

Why did your seatpost crack (and where)? All carbon posts (doesn't matter who makes them) are finicky as regards clamping forces.

saintsfan342000 said:
I disagree. The look of a well-engineered and precisely machined piece of alloy does a lot more for me than carbon. My .02.

It's too bad the Dura Ace cranks aren't machined.

It's mainly looks that'll make the difference - you pick. Campy is more serviceable, but how often does either brand need servicing?
That said, I wouldn't be going over to Campy if I'd already committed to DA wheels. That'd really be throwing good money away.

encomium said:
This may be blasphemous to some, but if you decide to switch to Campy, you could keep your current wheels/cassette and use a Jtek shiftmate to get an indexed 10 speed gear system (with either your existing or a new Campag RD - see the Jtek website for more info).

This is an of itself isn't such a bad thing, because shimano cassettes/chains are less costly than the equivlent campag ones (at least they are here in AU).

You could also keep your crank and FD if you wanted to as well - the chorus 2007/08 front shifters still shift incrementally, so they will work fine with your existing shimano crankset.

But, the proviso with all of this is that you don't mind your bike looking like it is a mish-mash of components from competing systems.

n

nerdag said:
This may be blasphemous to some, but if you decide to switch to Campy, you could keep your current wheels/cassette and use a Jtek shiftmate to get an indexed 10 speed gear system (with either your existing or a new Campag RD - see the Jtek website for more info).

This is an of itself isn't such a bad thing, because shimano cassettes/chains are less costly than the equivlent campag ones (at least they are here in AU).

You could also keep your crank and FD if you wanted to as well - the chorus 2007/08 front shifters still shift incrementally, so they will work fine with your existing shimano crankset.

But, the proviso with all of this is that you don't mind your bike looking like it is a mish-mash of components from competing systems.

n
Begs the question, exactly what improvement from 105 is the OP expecting? -in order to justify all this potential mucking around? 105 with DA wheels -sounds like a sweet bike. I'd just ride it and upgrade bits as they break or wear out.

artemidorus said:
Begs the question, exactly what improvement from 105 is the OP expecting? -in order to justify all this potential mucking around? 105 with DA wheels -sounds like a sweet bike. I'd just ride it and upgrade bits as they break or wear out.
well, i was hoping to lighten the bike a little and also get better shifting (especially under load). Also, there's a deal on chorus now so i'm tempted.

thanks to all the replies too....i'm still confused and am also thinking now to run the parts until they wear out and then swap...there will always be more deals....

tafi said:
I've used both and prefer campagnolo for service, longevity and ease of repair. All parts, right down to shifter internals, are replaceable. Break something in a Dura Ace lever and you have to throw the whole thing.

Why did your seatpost crack (and where)? All carbon posts (doesn't matter who makes them) are finicky as regards clamping forces.
Hi

It cracked right in the middle distance between the saddle and the frame. Why ?? good question...

It's true Shimano levers haven't got spare parts !

bobbyOCR said:
If your wheels are Shimano, go DA. If you want performance:value:weight go DA. If you want a nice lookig group, go Chorus. By that I mean infinitely better looking. You can't get an amazing looking bike with Shimano, the levers and crank ruin it.
Just to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder – I don’t think there is a better looking crank than DA period (apart from the new DA carbon) – definitely not a more rigid one. And I think Campy levers look cheap and **** with awful plastic. The DA ones are nice and fat and look fantastic!

Heres a really unhelpful response.

It doesn't matter. Both are great groupsets. One is not going to make you ride any faster than the other, nor are you going to go any slower if you stick with you 105. So there. :p

I'm running 2006 Chorus (aluminum crank, conventional brake arms) on one bike and 2007 Chorus (carbon crank, skeletonized brake arms) on another bike.

It's a great group. It looks good, functions perfectly and other than a failed seatpost glue joint (replaced free of cost under warranty) has been trouble-free.

dazman said:
Just to show beauty is in the eye of the beholder – I don’t think there is a better looking crank than DA period (apart from the new DA carbon) – definitely not a more rigid one. And I think Campy levers look cheap and **** with awful plastic. The DA ones are nice and fat and look fantastic!
105 and Ultegra are both stiffer than DA, for what that is worth - probably not much.