Dura-Ace vs Ultegra 10 spd Cassette

Kaizen

Nov 9, 2004
My bike is equipped with full 10 speed Dura-Ace and it's time for a new cassette... the price difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace is significant... Aside from price and 62 grams, does anyone know of any other differences?

PS. Has this been discussed in the past?

Kaizen said:
My bike is equipped with full 10 speed Dura-Ace and it's time for a new cassette... the price difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace is significant... Aside from price and 62 grams, does anyone know of any other differences?

PS. Has this been discussed in the past?

Its the 62 grams because of the different material each is made of.

I believe my mechanic told me that the DA-10 cassette is made of Ti thus it's lighter. But he suggested that I stick with the ultegra for better durability unless the 62g mattes to you.

Rudy said:
I believe my mechanic told me that the DA-10 cassette is made of Ti thus it's lighter. But he suggested that I stick with the ultegra for better durability unless the 62g mattes to you.
Wouldn't Ti be more durable than steel (or whatever Ultegra is made of)?

Kaizen said:
Wouldn't Ti be more durable than steel (or whatever Ultegra is made of)?
Only the bigger cogs are Ti and it isn't necessarily moe durable. Unless you are a sponsered pro or terminal weight weenie ultegra cassettes are the way to go. In fct, I even use 105s on otherwise 9 speed DA setups and they shift perfectly.

boudreaux said:
Only the bigger cogs are Ti and it isn't necessarily moe durable. Unless you are a sponsered pro or terminal weight weenie ultegra cassettes are the way to go. In fct, I even use 105s on otherwise 9 speed DA setups and they shift perfectly.
Thanks for the info... And yeah the 62 grams is not important to me... the $110 price difference between Ultegra and Dura-Ace is however.

Based on a 16.5 lb bike, the weight difference between DA and Ultegra (62g) is 0.08% of the total bike weight... I could get a hair cut and lose more weight.

Kaizen said:
Based on a 16.5 lb bike, the weight difference between DA and Ultegra (62g) is 0.08% of the total bike weight... I could get a hair cut and lose more weight.
Actually more like 0.8%; so you'll have to go all out and get a buzz cut. :p

Kaizen said:

Yup, minimal weight. Ultegra is by far the better value, even 105 on many fronts (brakes, bottom brackets, etc).

Go Red Sox!

Junior versions of the CS-6600 don't fit FH-7800.
In other words 13-25, 14-25, 15-25, and 16-27 versions of CS-6600 10 speed Ultegra don't fit.
CS-6600 that start with 11 or 12 tooth cogs do fit and work properly.

boudreaux said:
Steel is a lot more durable for cogs because unlike Ti, you can put a hard nickle plating on it. Ti is considered acceptable for the larger cogs because they don't wear as quickly due to the higher contact area. Campy recently came out with an all Ti Record cassette, but it would probably make just as much sense to actually burn the $340 than to buy one.

I have better things to spend money on than a Dura-Ace cassette. I run an Ultrgra 6500 series (I have 9-sp) and it's fine. My "all Dura-Ace" status is already violated by my SRAM chain, so the bling points won't be missed.

cydewaze said:
I have better things to spend money on than a Dura-Ace cassette. I run an Ultrgra 6500 series (I have 9-sp) and it's fine. My "all Dura-Ace" status is already violated by my SRAM chain, so the bling points won't be missed.
You're not alone. I have a DA 9 speed also, with the DA cassette, SRAM PC-99, and the FSA "almost CF" Team Carbon Triple, which of course cancels all poseur points.

Actually the DA cassette is holding up great, at 7200 miles now it doesn't appear to be worn at all. It wasn't that much more at build-kit prices, so I thought I'd try the Ti cassette for a thrill. Makes as much sense as my Ti BB spindle...ie, not much.

kaizen, I'm having the same issues deciding. your calc of 0.08% is correct and doesn't seem like much to me either

Ultegra cassettes are very popular in DA drive trains, as well as 105 drive trains. Ultegra is the sweet spot for durability, performance and price when it comes to cassettes.