Dura Ace vs. Ultegra Chainrings

cyclepath

Dec 30, 2003
Does anyone know if there is a difference between 9sp Dura Ace and Ultegra chainrings? I need to replace the 53 chainring on my 9sp Dura Ace cranks and was wondering if I need to purchase a specific Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc model. Or is all Shimano 9sp chainrings interchangeable? Thanks.

Originally posted by cyclepath
Does anyone know if there is a difference between 9sp Dura Ace and Ultegra chainrings? I need to replace the 53 chainring on my 9sp Dura Ace cranks and was wondering if I need to purchase a specific Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc model. Or is all Shimano 9sp chainrings interchangeable? Thanks.
The real difference is money.They all function the same.

Just replaced my full DA bike with an Ultegra 53. For about $25/30 you won't notice any difference except for the extra cash. Most folks don't pay attention to the inevitable "sharkfinning" of the teeth.

Originally posted by capwater
Just replaced my full DA bike with an Ultegra 53. For about $25/30 you won't notice any difference except for the extra cash. Most folks don't pay attention to the inevitable "sharkfinning" of the teeth.

There must be some difference between the Dura Ace and Ultegra chainrings? I wonder if it is weight, finish or what? I can't imagine Shimano would sell a Dura Ace for more just because of the name. I see them at Performance Bike for $60ea for the 39 and 53 rings while the Ultegra rings are $20 and $30 for the rings.

Originally posted by cyclepath
There must be some difference between the Dura Ace and Ultegra chainrings? I wonder if it is weight, finish or what? I can't imagine Shimano would sell a Dura Ace for more just because of the name. I see them at Performance Bike for $60ea for the 39 and 53 rings while the Ultegra rings are $20 and $30 for the rings.
They may weigh a bit less and have a bit different finish. The functional difference if any is not worth the money,IMO.

Ultegra 53 ring: 99grams
DurAce 53 ring: 94grams

5 grams for double the price? Your choice. If you are a racer getting mfg'er swag or you have more money than you know what to do with (send some here, mate), go for the DA, but the price point means you can replace the Ulegra twice for the DA price. Same top quality.

Dura Ace 9-speed chainrings are nickel-plated aluminum, Ultegra chainrings are anodized aluminum. The contention is that nickel plating gives a harder surface so they'll last longer... in general that's a true statement but I can't say if it makes any difference with chainrings. Certainly Ultegra rings will fit on a DA crank.