Dura Ace vs. Ultegra

craigstanton

Oct 31, 2003
Hello All, I am now shopping to replace my creaky old Cannon. I have done a great deal of research on frame options, and am more or settled on a Steelman frame (Reynolds 853/Dedacciai 14.5/foco blend). But, I am not yet setteld on the question of components. I am a serious recreational rider. I like to do century rides, and other middle distance events - no racing. Apart from the weight difference, I am am curious to hear your perspectives on whether or not the price differential between Ultegra and Dura Ace is justifiable? Becasue I don't race, I am not overly concerned about the weight difference. But, am I missing something by settling for the Ultegra rather than the Dura Ace? Thanks.

Originally posted by craigstanton
Hello All, I am now shopping to replace my creaky old Cannon. I have done a great deal of research on frame options, and am more or settled on a Steelman frame (Reynolds 853/Dedacciai 14.5/foco blend). But, I am not yet setteld on the question of components. I am a serious recreational rider. I like to do century rides, and other middle distance events - no racing. Apart from the weight difference, I am am curious to hear your perspectives on whether or not the price differential between Ultegra and Dura Ace is justifiable? Becasue I don't race, I am not overly concerned about the weight difference. But, am I missing something by settling for the Ultegra rather than the Dura Ace? Thanks.
Given the price of the new 10 speed DA,it's a no brainer unless you are rich and like to just spend money or are sponsered. Consider Campy.

I have Ultegra on my Trek and love it. It is rock solid. Now I'm sure that DA is nicer and lighter but.......I just really do not see the benefit of it unless (A) you race, or, (B) you get it for free.

Originally posted by georgesnatcher
I have Ultegra on my Trek and love it. It is rock solid. Now I'm sure that DA is nicer and lighter but.......I just really do not see the benefit of it unless (A) you race, or, (B) you get it for free.

ditto for me, I've riden both and found no difference, except for the price that is

I had Ultegra 8-speed for years. Wanted and got an all Dura Ace (9-speed) bike this year and I love it, but I'll replace any worn out or broken parts with Ultegra... there's just not that much difference performance wise. Here's the biggest difference I noticed: Ultegra shifts very smoothly and quietly, DA shifters require a little more obvious force and then shift a little bit quicker with a big CHUNK sound - no question at all that the shift took place! Advantage: riders around you can tell you have Dura Ace by the shifting sound.

I used to really miss suntour, but that's another story =)

Been with ultegra on 2 bikes for many years and always hated it. Well, that's too strong I guess. More like, I found it somewhere between annoying and OK. I am not sure why so many people praise it?

I am riding with 2004 DA and finally know satisfaction. The front shifts like the back and the brakes, oh the brakes! Yummy all the way around.

Originally posted by DiabloScott
DA shifters require a little more obvious force and then shift a little bit quicker with a big CHUNK sound - no question at all that the shift took place! Advantage: riders around you can tell you have Dura Ace by the shifting sound.

In a sprint finish alerting the other sprinters in the group 'your ready to go' can make or break the race for you. (Don't necessarily believe Ultegra will hide that fact). Having used both Ultegra and Dura-Ace, my personal opinion is unless you race at a high level or are after the 'Wow' factor, go with the Ultegra. (The exponential improvements of Dura-Ace are vastly over stated).

Originally posted by Cipher
In a sprint finish alerting the other sprinters in the group 'your ready to go' can make or break the race for you. (Don't necessarily believe Ultegra will hide that fact). Having used both Ultegra and Dura-Ace, my personal opinion is unless you race at a high level or are after the 'Wow' factor, go with the Ultegra. (The exponential improvements of Dura-Ace are vastly over stated).

Eh, are we not overlooking the rattle noise that Ultegra STI levers make after a few hundred miles? I am a racing guy on DuraAce and I can tell an Ultegra bike from 5 metres behind me coz of the rattle.
Not that is a big negative for Ultegra IMO.

2003 Ultegra shifters do not rattle, thay have changed the design of the small lever - it now has a small silicon collar so that the small lever does not bump and rattle against the large lever.

I have Dura Ace and my wife has Ultegra. The Dura Ace is lighter but I believe is not as durable and won't hold up as well. The Ultegra is also smoother shifting.Another thing to consider is that Capmy is probably more repair friendly as far as changing out worn parts where as the Dura Ace usually requires a complete component change when worn. Not trying to start a debate. Just my personal opinions.

hey craig.....i just accidentally stumbed on this forum about 5 minutes ago,this is my first post here. i race often,train daily,and my two road bikes are a mix of ultegra and dura-ace. from what i gather on another bike forum i often use, the experts mostly agree that you won't tell much difference in ultegra and dura-ace, EXCEPT for the shifters. apparantly is almost common knowledge that the ultegra shifters have a much shorter life-span that the D/A. after a crash earler this year, i replaces my ultgra shifters with D/A and like them fine. it's not too difficult to find them for $199 on the web. i'd suggest getting the ultegra group, but upgrade the shifters and rear derrailleur to D/A. works for me !!

I agree with SteveK. Stick with the 9 speed dura ace or ultegra for price and proven performance. It's kind of like buying a car the first year a new style comes out. Everyone wants the dura ace 10 speed and you'll pay for it.

The only difference I have found is in hubs. Dura-Ace hubs have better bearings than Ultrega. Most master wheelwrights I have talked to recommend the added cost of the Dura-Ace hubs.

Everyone else says that unless you are a terminal gram weenie or a serious racer, the difference between Dura-Ace and Ultrega is not worth the cost difference.

what about the difference between ultegra and 105. is it as neglibible as the ultegra/dura ace difference?