Dura Ace with the funky large pedal threads ?

Bob

Guest
Was this the AX or EX ? Did it have a trade-name that everyone knew it
by ?

Thanks,

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Was this the AX or EX ? Did it have a trade-name that everyone knew it
> by ?
>
> Thanks,

AX, aka the "aero" group.

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/history/ax.ht
ml

They were most famous for fragility: I think the spindles and cranks
broke a lot.

The previous generation of stuff was Dura-Ace EX:

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/content/duraace/en/home/history/ex.ht
ml

Bob wrote:
> Was this the AX or EX ? Did it have a trade-name that everyone knew it
> by ?
>
> Thanks,

*Shimano's* name for them was "Dyna-Drive". It was available in
Dura-Ace AX:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/15.html
Dura-Ace EX:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/21.html
600 AX:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/18.html
and the Deore touring group:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/27.html

FWIW: I *had* a Deore crankset with the DD pedals way-back-when. They
were pretty nice- a really large, flat platform that fit my really
large, flat feet. Too bad I sold the bike I put them on (one of the old
fillet-brazed cro-mo Schwinn Superiors). *Sigh.*

Jeff