Dura Ace

Yeah, I've seen that one but is it Dura Ace? Or is it equal to Dura Ace? I know it's hollowtech II.

bakstreet said:
Yeah, I've seen that one but is it Dura Ace? Or is it equal to Dura Ace? I know it's hollowtech II.
I just want to make sure that you are aware that Dura Ace is not a manufacturer. It is the brand name of Shimano's top of the line component group. What drinky linked to you is the Shimano compact crank that is compatable with Shimano's Dura Ace component group.

Yes, I am aware of that. I was just trying to make my post as short as possible. Does Shimano make a Dura Ace compact crank set or do you have to step down to the Shimano Ultegra line to get a compact?

The compact mentioned above is the top of the line for Shimano as far as I am aware. It is Ultegra not Dura Ace.

hielol said:
It is Ultegra not Dura Ace.
It is neither. It is considered a "high grade component".

Whatever the designation, it works well with both groupsets.

n

bakstreet said:
Does Dura Ace make a compact crankset? If so, can someone give me a link to it?
If Shimano chooses to release a Carbon Fiber, "compact" crankset in the next few years, it will receive the DURA ACE designation.

Go with the SRAM Rival compact crankset instead of the Shimano. It's lighter than the Shimano one, between Ultegra and Dura in terms of weight.

Almost every compact crank we sell is the SRAM Rival. Otherwise, you could go with the FSA carbon ones, but I believe they're around $400.

The R700 is roughly equivlent to the Ultegra (level) of Shimano. I know riders that have one and they are happy with it. The SRAM Rival is also a good suggestion I have the Rival group on my Bianchi. It is roughly the quality (fit and finish) of Ultegra but in between the weight of Ultegra and Dura Ace. You can buy their Force level and it is Dura Ace quality and price but a little lighter. All of the Shimano and SRAM components are interchangeable in the same drive system. I just switched a SRAM casette for an Ultegra and no adjustments were necessary.

You can buy any compact crank, and it will work.

Frankly, a Chorus or Centaur compact crank would be the pants off of anything SRAM in terms of build quality. The Campy stuff would look better, too.