dura aceVS chorus

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by audio_terrorist, Mar 11, 2006.

1. audio_terrorist

audio_terrorist New Member

im thinking of switching out my chorus for full DA, reason being all of my other bikes and brothers bikes are shimano, it would be more practical for switching rims and parts.

what would u get,
    anybody every ride both

Tags:

2. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

I have worked with and ridden many bikes with shimano and campy parts, and I personally like the feel of shimano components better. I just can't get used to the way that campagnolo shifting feels. Campy brakes feel amazing to me though. I guess its really all preference. Which do you like the feel of?

3. audio_terrorist

well i don't want to get poked fun at but my old bike had 105, and it shifted smoother then the campy, the campy feels alot slower, the shimano was just like bang from one gear to the next.
    ive never rided on ultega, or d/a.
    how else do u guys feel about the two

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

You are about to start another religious flame war here...:)

If it is more convenient, go over to the dark side with Shimano. :p It is quality stuff, and you cannot go wrong with Dura Ace.

I ride Chorus and love it. Never any issues, very reliable, wonderful shifting. All you have to do is the regular maintenance which is required (keep things clean and in tip-top shape).

As to your 105 shifting better than Chorus, please allow me to express my doubts... of course 105 shifts well, as does the Campagnolo Veloce, Centaur, etc.

Happy riding!

5. audio_terrorist

my chorus only has about 10km on it , so the bike shop said they will take it back.and switch to shimano.

the only dura ace i have riden is on my track bike and is so amazing, way better then the old campy pista i had, the campy was all second hand parts.

6. RenegadeKing

RenegadeKing New Member

i think that sounds like a good move

7. ffdominator666

ffdominator666 New Member

ya thats a good plan:D its better

8. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I have a Shimano and Campy set up. It really comes down to which one feels better to you. I prefer the Campy feel. I like the multiple cassette shifting of the campy as well as the numerous trim stops of the front derailleur. My Shimano is well broken in though, like an old pair of tennis shoes. It is reliable and (IMHO) seems to shift a little more smoothly under load. Campy brakes do feel better I must say...

9. Cat1RDR

Cat1RDR New Member

In reality Shimano and Campy are both great. I rode record last year and am riding dura-ace this year and I love both. Go for what feels better in your hands and which shifting/braking performance you like more. (I'd upgrade If I was you, new DA is sweet and new stuff is always fun, clean, and nice)

10. audio_terrorist

lol thats the problem i have never rode any shimano higher then 105 so i dont no how d/a shifts or brakes, i can't test one either because of the snow/ice outside. and i want to get the switch done before the racing begins.

11. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Imagine the feel of the 105 groupset, but 100 times smoother and quicker responding. Not to mention a bit lighter as well.

12. patch70

patch70 New Member

As said, personal preference. My preference is Chorus by a clear margin.

13. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 New Member

IMO, after riding Chorus and Dura Ace, Chorus>Dura Ace by a long shot. Its the little things that matter too. Record is just in a league by itself, and nothing Shimano can put forth can touch it.

14. audio_terrorist

hows shimano for getting spare parts,replacing parts

15. cucamelsmd15

cucamelsmd15 New Member

Campy is more rebuildable. Shimano is use and throw away.

16. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Although there are many places that have a very hard time getting a hold of the spare campagnolo parts (USA for example). No point in being rebuildable if you can't get the parts needed.

17. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

DA will run you off the wall (price wise). Chorus is much more reasonably priced and like previously stated, its rebuildable. I'm not sure about anyone else but I can have a Campy part ready for me in about a week. Shimano is pricey and once you crash and break a shifter, it's done. Let's be honest, no one is a perfect rider/racer and stuff will break. It just depends on how much money you have to spend on bikes and how often you crash.

I just got Chorus put on my Madone and I definitely need to get used to the shifting especially in the drops. When I'm in the hoods shifting is easy but the drops make it a little tougher. Hope I helped.

18. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Why can't you just order them on line? :confused:

19. audio_terrorist

thanks every one, i dropped it off last nite for the switch.

im getting it way below retail. it shouldn't be more then a couple hundred to switch.

i havn't crashed yet in race(knocks on wood) if anything where to get damaged it would probaly be in transportation.

its better with shimano now because of all mine and brothers bike's will all be compatible.

thanks alot guys
    i'll post a review soon

20. ToffoIsMe

ToffoIsMe New Member

Eh I guess most people could. Being a bike shop employee, I refuse to buy parts at retail price. Guess I'm just a bit spoiled :p.