dura aceVS chorus

cucamelsmd15 said:
Campy is more rebuildable. Shimano is use and throw away.
True, but the replacement parts are so expensive with Campy, you may consider throwing them away.. I have Record 10, and I scuffed a carbon brake lever blade. $69 for a replacement...!!!!
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

$59.99 for the little shifter blade...!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

PeterF said:
True, but the replacement parts are so expensive with Campy, you may consider throwing them away.. I have Record 10, and I scuffed a carbon brake lever blade. $69 for a replacement...!!!!

This is where I like finding older Record/Chorus parts on sale. For example, I picked up a 2004 pair of Record shifters, new, for about $120. Not only do you have the shifter blades, but all of the internal hood parts, and it also came with cables. I try to keep my eyes open for stuff like this, just in case I do have to rebuild something.

PeterF said:

YES. While Campagnolo is rebuildable, the cost tends to be prohibitive ... particularly, if the need is cosmetic.

But, the fact that a Shimano shifter is all-but-dead if it jams means that the cost will probably be less than a replacement (I'm thinkiing of the ERGO shifters, in particular, vs. the original 8-speed STI shifters which may have had a higher failure rate than the subsequent shifters).

I also found that the Campagnolo replacement parts to be so expensive that it was cheaper to cannibalize the parts from another shifter!?! Obviously, this was a "mechanical" re-build.

Without knowing what the new, 2007 Campagnolo shifters will look like, a perhaps-trivial advantage of the Campagnolo shifters is that there is cosmetic continuity over a broad range of shifters; so, direct replacements are not as tedious.

audio_terrorist said:
im thinking of switching out my chorus for full DA, reason being all of my other bikes and brothers bikes are shimano, it would be more practical for switching rims and parts.

what would u get,
anybody every ride both
Well, this is AFTER-THE-FACT, since you've just brought your bike back to the shop for a make-over ...

If the main thing you wanted to be able to swap with your brothers' bikes is the wheels, when necessary, then you may have made a poor decision.

Without getting into debate over whose components are better -- BTW. I "love" Shimano's compenents AND their customer service (in the US ... your experience may vary), but when it came time to abandon my downtube shifters, after a couple of seasons of trying to embrace the STI shifters (Ultegra 6500) I was never satisfied with the STI shifters and the way I ride; but, when I tried the Campagnolo ERGO shifters, I knew I had found what I was looking for ... multiple gear changes per shift -- you can use 9-speed Shimano-compatible wheels with either 9-speed or 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ... some tweaks may be involved with some combinations.

The difficulty people have when they try to hot-swap the wheels is that the cassettes are offset from the centerline by a differing amount. The derailleur stops have to be adjusted, and the indexing re-set.

FWIW. The attachment is one of my bikes which has Campagnolo ERGO shifters mated to a Shimano XTR rear derailler & 9-speed cassette. I believe you could theoretically mate a 10-speed ERGO shifter with an 10-speed Shimano cassette, but you would also need to change the chain to accomodate the narrower cog spacing on the Shimano 10-speed cassette.

cucamelsmd15 said:
This is where I like finding older Record/Chorus parts on sale. For example, I picked up a 2004 pair of Record shifters, new, for about $120. Not only do you have the shifter blades, but all of the internal hood parts, and it also came with cables. I try to keep my eyes open for stuff like this, just in case I do have to rebuild something.
Good point. I recently just build up a spare bike with a combo of record and centaur. I swapped the new cables and hoods out to put them on my primary Record-built bike. With Campy, the whole is much much cheaper than the sum of it's parts....

Or you could just pic the parts you like from both and match them.

For example, I run 10 speed chorus shifters with Dura Ace 7800 9/10speed derailleur, and sram 9 speed cassette and chain, meant for shimano 9 speed drivetrains. How? Using the jtek shiftmate.

You could do the same, keep your Chorus shifters by using a shiftmate, and run full 10 speed Dura Ace cassette, derailleur, and chain. Or you can go my way and run 9 speed. This way it is more economical, and you can still use campy shifters, which IMO are better than shimano shifters. Everything else shimano, except cassettes, I think is much more cost effective. This is why I am using this mixed setup.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

if you need some pics of my setup, I can post them. And if installation help is needed, I will help.

now are disc are the same, they both have shimano cassetes.

and are spare wheels are the same to now,

i do prefer the shimano, seems to have alot less "clunk" when it shifts
and a tad lighter

PS.... not trying to start flamebattle

audio_terrorist said:
and a tad lighter
If you are concerned about weight, then Record is lighter than DA!
Nearly all the Record components are lighter (with the exception of crank/BB and IIRC cluster).

alfeng said:
YES. While Campagnolo is rebuildable, the cost tends to be prohibitive ... particularly, if the need is cosmetic.

The scuff was minor, and with a little buffing and epoxy, you can't tell where it was, but when it occured, I was curious.

audio_terrorist said:
now are disc are the same, they both have shimano cassetes.

and are spare wheels are the same to now,

i do prefer the shimano, seems to have alot less "clunk" when it shifts
and a tad lighter

PS.... not trying to start flamebattle
I'm a Campy guy because I like how the levers feel, the front derailleur trimming and the multi-shift capabilities. I must admit though, Shimano shifting (especially under load, like downshifting on a climb) is noticeably smoother.

audio_terrorist said:
im thinking of switching out my chorus for full DA, reason being all of my other bikes and brothers bikes are shimano, it would be more practical for switching rims and parts.

what would u get,
anybody every ride both
Sorry, to revive an old thread, but I just did the opposite build (changed my old Ultegra 9 for Centaur/Chorus 10 to gain whell and overall compatibity between my bikes).

PeterF said:
I'm a Campy guy because I like how the levers feel, the front derailleur trimming and the multi-shift capabilities. I must admit though, Shimano shifting (especially under load, like downshifting on a climb) is noticeably smoother.
Apparently, MY impression was just the opposite -- I thought the Campagnolo shifters were more efficient AND reliable when downshifting under load ...

I NEVER experienced a balky shift onto a larger cog with the Campagnolo shifters ... and, I am downshifting on an 11-32 (sometimes, 12-34) XT/XTR cassette. The first time I realized that the downshifting was so effortless I knew I could go back to a double ... okay, a double with a MTB cassette.

Nonetheless, I do recall prior occasions when the Ultegra 6500 shifters did not engage quickly to the point of balking on what I would consider intermediate inclines ... so, I ended up putting a triple on my bike so I could dump out to the granny if I needed a lower gear.

I suppose that with a 12-27 cassette, or smaller, it might not make a difference engaging the larger cogs.

AGAIN, your experiences & impressions may vary ...

BTW. I'm riding on mountain roads east of Albuquerque where the elevation begins at 6500 feet and goes up from there ... the flats are "false flats" and the inclines vary.

alfeng said:
Apparently, MY impression was just the opposite -- I thought the Campagnolo shifters were more efficient AND reliable when downshifting under load ...

I NEVER experienced a balky shift onto a larger cog with the Campagnolo shifters ... and, I am downshifting on an 11-32 (sometimes, 12-34) XT/XTR cassette. The first time I realized that the downshifting was so effortless I knew I could go back to a double ... okay, a double with a MTB cassette.

Nonetheless, I do recall prior occasions when the Ultegra 6500 shifters did not engage quickly to the point of balking on what I would consider intermediate inclines ... so, I ended up putting a triple on my bike so I could dump out to the granny if I needed a lower gear.

I suppose that with a 12-27 cassette, or smaller, it might not make a difference engaging the larger cogs.

AGAIN, your experiences & impressions may vary ...

BTW. I'm riding on mountain roads east of Albuquerque where the elevation begins at 6500 feet and goes up from there ... the flats are "false flats" and the inclines vary.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a campy guy, and part of the "smoothness" may be the results of a 13,000 Shimano drivetrain that's very well broken in. The Campy shifting is lightning fast, but it has a certain chunky feel to it. It never misfires though.

PeterF said:
The Campy shifting is lightning fast, but it has a certain chunky feel to it. It never misfires though.
And you never have the question in your mind of whether the rear derailleur changed or not!

patch70 said:
And you never have the question in your mind of whether the rear derailleur changed or not!
You're right about that, Especially since I took off my Nokon (aka No-Curves, No-Shifts, No-Bargain) cables and went back with the stock Campy 10 set.

PeterF said:
You're right about that, Especially since I took off my Nokon (aka No-Curves, No-Shifts, No-Bargain) cables and went back with the stock Campy 10 set.
FIRST -- good to know about the Nokon housing ... I had been considering them as a possible "upgrade."

SECOND -- I guess I perceived the "chunky" shifting as positive engagement.

FWIW. My right/rear 1998-vintage Chorus shifter's engagement is exceedingly light, but still positive ... at some point, the G-springs will undoubtedly need to be replaced. When the left/front shifter started to slip when going over alligator-asphalt, I disassembled it in anticipation of simply replacing the G-springs, but found that the indexing cog needed replacement ... I priced the components, and opted to move the lever & blade to an "extra" Mirage shifter that I had. I would have cannibalized the necessary components from the Mirage shifter, but the Chorus ERGO shifter uses a ball bearing whose inner diameter (ID) is larger than the ID of the bushings.

FWIW2. I have found that with new/old Campagnolo ERGO shifters that you can engage the thumb shifters from the handlebar tops whereas with Shimano STI shifters, you must move your hands to the hoods or drops to engage the inner blade (okay, of course, you have to move your hands to the hoods or drops to engage the shifting blade on the Campy shifters, too). I suppose the limitation may be where the levers are mounted on the handlebars, but people whose index finger isn't long/"strong" enough can certainly use their middle finger (or, both).

PeterF said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a campy guy, and part of the "smoothness" may be the results of a 13,000 Shimano drivetrain that's very well broken in. The Campy shifting is lightning fast, but it has a certain chunky feel to it. It never misfires though.
Truth be told, I actually prefer the "clunk". I think the more my Chorus set wears in, the better it gets.

alfeng said:
FIRST -- good to know about the Nokon housing ... I had been considering them as a possible "upgrade."

SECOND -- I guess I perceived the "chunky" shifting as positive engagement.

On the Nokon's I moved them over to my b-bike (Centaur Shifters and rear derailleur), took out a link and set them up in the front cable groove of my Ritchey WCS bars (on my A-bike the derailleur cables were in the rear cable groove of my 3T bar). They seem to be working perfectly fine. On my Record setup they seemed to need a lot of adjusting and I seemed to lose some of the telepathic shifting I was accustomed to. Nokon's are nice looking and they work fine, but I'm not sure $100 was worth just shedding a few grams.

As far as chunky feel, I do like it. After 10 years of nothing but Shimano, I grew used to it, but overall Campy fits my hands better, the shifting is lighter and quicker and I love the brakes.

PeterF said:
On the Nokon's I moved them over to my b-bike (Centaur Shifters and rear derailleur), took out a link and set them up in the front cable groove of my Ritchey WCS bars (on my A-bike the derailleur cables were in the rear cable groove of my 3T bar). They seem to be working perfectly fine. On my Record setup they seemed to need a lot of adjusting and I seemed to lose some of the telepathic shifting I was accustomed to. Nokon's are nice looking and they work fine, but I'm not sure $100 was worth just shedding a few grams.

As far as chunky feel, I do like it. After 10 years of nothing but Shimano, I grew used to it, but overall Campy fits my hands better, the shifting is lighter and quicker and I love the brakes.
Oh, in general, I think that routing both cables in front works better ... that rear-routing seemed to cause the (standard) cable housing to contort as it came out of the lever and I tried to lay it against the bars with that alternate groove ... the Nokon's flexibility was apparently its own downfall when you installed it with your Record shifters.

$100 is too much for the cable housing ... but, it was something to consider if I ever ran out of other things to upgrade!

alfeng said:
Oh, in general, I think that routing both cables in front works better ... that rear-routing seemed to cause the (standard) cable housing to contort as it came out of the lever and I tried to lay it against the bars with that alternate groove ... the Nokon's flexibility was apparently its own downfall when you installed it with your Record shifters.

$100 is too much for the cable housing ... but, it was something to consider if I ever ran out of other things to upgrade!
They certainly are bike jewelry, and the housing feels weightless when compared to standard housing. I bought the black ones. The silver would have looked sweet on my bike (Pinallo Opera, black and silver with Campy Record 10 all silver as well, and silver Eurus Wheels), but I heard stories of them oxidizing. Like I said, they look nice on my b-bike and once I go through a New England winter on them, I'll report back to their durability and performance.