DuraAce-10 Crankset on Record-10

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sbeletich, Jan 19, 2005.

1. sbeletich

sbeletich New Member

I've been told it's possible to run a DuraAce-10 crankset/chainring with a Record-10 driveline.

I've also been told that if you want to run this combo, it's preferable to run a Connex chain. I do run a Connex chain (Record variety = Connex #10X1) but according to the connexchain.com website (under products, compatibility) it is not compatible with DuraAce-10.

The Connex website, I think, says that only the new Connex 10S1 chain (Shimano variety) is compatible with both Record-10 and DuraAce-10. If this is correct, this should allow me to run a DuraAce crankset with my Record setup. However I'm not 100% convinced.

I would be very appreciative of hearing from anyone with direct knowledge of running a DuraAce-10 crankset with an otherwise Record-10 driveline. Particularly if they are actually running this setup, or have intimate knowledge of the chain widths, clearances, etc.

Detailed replies appreciated, rather than "it can't be done". Many thanks

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

why would you do this?

3. sbeletich

sbeletich New Member

Because the new D/A-10 crankset and BB are significantly stiffer than Campag.

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Only if you need it.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Connex is full of BS. Use any 10 speed chain.

6. mikem

mikem New Member

Wondering, does this also apply to an FSA Compact crank (with all Record otherwise)?

I've been told you can only do ALL Record.

7. ilija

ilija New Member

I'm also in a process of putting together my racing bike and have full Record gear, but will use 2005 FSA K-Force Carbon Crankset w/MegaExo BB. One problem is FSA has not releised Italian version of this crank. After contacting FSA, I was told that soon they will roll it out, but if I need one now I can use Ultegra or Dura-Ace Italian cups. This is exactly what guys at www.competitivecyclist.com are selling for now. I inquired with them and here is what they emailed me:

>Ilija - The DA-10 and Ultegra-10 BB's both cost $39.99. They are literally the same thing, except that the DA cups are a bit shinier, and the Ultegra cups are more of a gunmetal grey.
    We will send you the FSA crankset with the appropriate Shimano BB at no extra cost, so there is no cost savings in waiting for the FSA BB.<

So, from all of this (and the fact that when purchasing a third party cranks on-line, you don't have the option to choose between Campy or Shimano) I getter there is no difference as far as what groupo you'll use. As long you much the BB tread on you bike (Italian or English) and actual BB interface with the crank.
    Now, this is my interpretation based on theory. How is in practice, I would like to hear as well from somebody.

8. sbeletich

sbeletich New Member

FSA cranks are designed to suit either D/A or Record.
    See http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=tech&cid=80 which says:

" Will my FSA cranks work with my Campagnolo or Dura-Ace 9/10 speed?
    Yes, they are compatible with all of the above. The primary difference between the various standards is the chainring spacing. In fact, this difference is so minute that Campagnolo and Shimano’s tolerances for 9 and 10 speed actually overlap each other. We’ve chosen a spacing that is an average of all four standards and which easily falls within the tolerances for Campy or Shimano – 9 or 10 speed. "

This goes some way to answering whether you can use pure D/A crankset with Record, but does not answer it completely, as the FSA crankset is designed to be in the 'middle' of the two.

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

more BS.....

10. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Because the Shimano crank is not likely to fail on you. Note the Record carbon crank issue. One season, no wrecks and check it carefully.

ISIS was created for a reason. HollowtechII furthers the advantage which is why FSA is going to this system. Shimano didn't patent the spacing and diameter which is great for all.

11. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Who told you that? The same FSA crank that I was using on the Shimano kit that I divorced is now doing duty on the Record stuff that I've been carousing with. I have heard, though, that it's criminal to put Record components on Roadmaster or Magna frames.

12. mikem

mikem New Member

To be specific, I was told (by LBS) that I'd have to swap for Campy rings, but I guess FSA went with a "compromise" setup, which is good for me.

So only change is for my Ksyriums I guess - I'd have to get a Campy hub no?

Other than that I assume I can just go and get Record shifters and drivetrain, keep my FSA crank. What about the brakes - will the Ultegra work with Record levers?

My reason for doing this, instead of DA/10 is I was told by a few Campy guys:

1) The shifting is much smoother than Shimano. "You know how you'll be going up a hill and shift and there's lots of grabbing and mis-shifts, etc. - not with Record!"

2) The levers have a thumb lever for downshifting and this might feel better for me (to use a diff finger since I've been having carpal issues and overuse of middle finger ;) ).

13. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

That's just alot of LBS BS and most likely just regurgitating 'what Campy says'. You won't go wrong doing it that way,but you l will likely spend more money and contrary to 'what Campy says' other stuff works perfectly. You don't even have to go with a so called compromise setup.9 speed cranks work prefectly and I even used an 8 speed (shimano :D ) crank long term with an otherwise 10 speed record/chorus setup, and the whole thing did not self destruct.

14. dhk

dhk New Member

Believe Pinarello uses the FSA carbon crankset with Record on the Dogma, so assume it works just fine. They are also using the FSA OS BB, with ISIS axle. I think it's great that Pinarello chose FSA crank BB for their top bike over Campy.

Whether ISIS has any technical advantages is a moot point. The ISIS design is "open standard", making any competitive maker like FSA can use the design drawings without paying huge royalties to Shimano or Campy.

15. mikem

mikem New Member

Thanks guys, my intention is to keep my current FSA CC (which is using an Ultegra Oct BB) and put on Record Ergo's and drivetrain. My goal in this is to simply get the Ergo shifters which seem very comfortable.

16. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

ISIS has the same basic flaw as octalink. Bigger spindle diameter = smaller bearings = faster failure.Otherwise, some say the ISIS spline is superior.

17. SDL

SDL New Member

Your LBS is full of bs. Im running an FSA crank with an otherwise Record setup and everything works fine.

18. sbeletich

sbeletich New Member

IS there anybody out there running a DuraAce-10 crank with an otherwise Record-10 driveline? If so what chain are you running?

19. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I'm not,but you can run any 10 speed chain.

20. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

The Boreas Ignis Slope www.boreas-bikes.com comes standard with DA-10 crank and Record 10 carbon everything else. There's a review of it in the October 2004 ProCycling (very favorable).