DuraAce 10-speed chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Rodgers, May 10, 2004.

  1. Tom Rodgers

    Tom Rodgers Guest

    I'm having persistent problems with the new Shimano DuraAce
    7800 10-speed chain. The link connector does NOT want to
    stay in. I've popped this link on two new chains in a row,
    this after six years and 40-50 of the older, nine-speed
    Shimano chains never having a problem.

    I'm looking at Wipperman, about the only other 10-speed
    chain out there, and i"m wondering which model works with
    DuraAce. The 1011 lightweight actually SAYS it is compatible
    on the performancebike.com site, but other sites seem to say
    there is no difference between this and the 10X1 model other
    than weight.

    Anyone out there using after-market vendors for DuraAce 10-
    speed? Wipperman has a very good reputation as a Campy 10-
    speed replacement. I'm willing to pay the extra money if it
    is more reliable.

    Tags:

  2. I answered over in rec.bicycles.misc; in general, if
    you're going to cross-post (which should be avoided in
    most situations), you should do so in a manner that all
    replies to go all groups you posted in. If you're using
    Outlook or Outlook Express, in the newsgroups section you
    would simply type

    rec.bicycles.misc;rec.bicycles.tech

    if you wanted it to go to both groups. That way people don't
    have to filter through separate messages; what they've read
    in one place shows up in the other (and will be indicated as
    having already been read). Saves time and puts all relevant
    info into one thread.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Tom Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm having persistent problems with the new Shimano
    > DuraAce 7800 10-speed chain. The link connector does NOT
    > want to stay in. I've popped this link
    on
    > two new chains in a row, this after six years and 40-50 of
    > the older, nine-speed Shimano chains never having a
    > problem.
    >
    > I'm looking at Wipperman, about the only other 10-speed
    > chain out there,
    and
    > i"m wondering which model works with DuraAce. The 1011
    > lightweight
    actually
    > SAYS it is compatible on the performancebike.com site, but
    > other sites
    seem
    > to say there is no difference between this and the 10X1
    > model other than weight.
    >
    > Anyone out there using after-market vendors for DuraAce
    > 10-speed?
    Wipperman
    > has a very good reputation as a Campy 10-speed
    > replacement. I'm willing to pay the extra money if it is
    > more reliable.

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:41:52 GMT, "Tom Rodgers"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm having persistent problems with the new Shimano DuraAce
    >7800 10-speed chain. The link connector does NOT want to
    >stay in. I've popped this link on two new chains in a row,
    >this after six years and 40-50 of the older, nine-speed
    >Shimano chains never having a problem.

    You can buy a Wipperman 10 sp connector for the Shimano
    chain. KMC now has a 10 sp link, which is not removable,
    which should work fine. I use a Sram Powerlink II/Gold link
    with my IRD 10sp chain in a Campy 10 cassette w/o problem.
    I've been very pleased with the cost and longevity of the
    IRD Sport chain, which comes with a link.

  4. ironman-<< I'm having persistent problems with the new
    Shimano DuraAce 7800 10-speed chain. The link connector does
    NOT want to stay in. >><BR><BR>

    Installing it on the proper link/ The one facing forward?

    Use a Wipperman or Mavic 10sd chain, they say it'll work. Or
    perhaps a wipperman 10s snap link.

    << I'm willing to pay the extra money if it is more
    reliable. >><BR><BR>

    Cheaper than a DA 10s chain, considering it also comes with
    a $7 connector.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"