DuraAce 10 speed cranks chirp?

Duane Dobesh

Guest
I put a set of Dura Ace 10 speed cranks on my bike and now have a chirp
coming from the bb area. Kind of like something is rubbing against a rubber
seal....or ?

Anybody have any experience with this problem?

Thanks.

Duane-<< I put a set of Dura Ace 10 speed cranks on my bike and now have a
chirp
coming from the bb area. Kind of like something is rubbing against a rubber
seal....or ? >><BR><BR>

We have seen a lot of these and XTR/XT that come to us making noise. Even tho
they look whizbang and are expensive, some basic things still apply.

MUST have the BB shell faced well. Since the big, long spindle goes into and
thru both BB 'cups', it is as essential as a conventional BB(or more).

Grasso, grease, lube, something everywhere you think it oughta be. Seals, metal
to metal, anywhere.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Thanks. Will take it a part and make everything greased good. I believe
the frame shell is faced ok, i.e. many miles on it with 9-speed.

You are right on expensive looking whizbang. My first impressions are:
coating on crankarm wore off on first ride. And can't tell the difference
between my old cranks and these. Would not have put these on, outside my
old chain rings were pretty worn and i bought these really inexpensively
from someone that bought them and could not use them.

Similar experince with the 960 XTR, cannot tell that it is any better than
the 952. And the bb bearings wear out much quicker. Plus does not shift as
well. Oh well i guess that is progess.

news:[email protected]...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> 'Stiffness' claims imply others are 'soft, flexy, unusable' but of

course they
> aren't. MANY pros succesfully use that old fashioned square taper in

the pro
> pelOton ranks and it doesn't slow them down, not do they break 'em.

Pros weigh 135 lbs. and get a new bike at least every season. Many of
us here, not just me, routinely generate _much_ larger pedal forces
than a pro rider ever does, even on the steepest climb or the hardest
sprint. And most of us keep our bikes for years, if not decades. Both
these factors would tend to make a strong, stiff crank a better choice
for most of us than it would be for a pro racer.

This should not be considered a defense of Shimano's copy of Bullseye
cranks, because I neither use nor trust those. But I'll ride a 'bent
(or give up cycling altogether) before I ride another square-taper BB.
A man has only so many teeth to give up for the sake of poor design--
I'll keep those I still have.

Chalo Colina

Chalo Colina wrote:

> ...But I'll ride a 'bent (or give up cycling altogether) before I ride another
> square-taper BB. A man has only so many teeth to give up for the sake of poor design--
> I'll keep those I still have.

Despite the naysayers, riding a recumbent bicycle is better than not
riding at all. Some of us deviants even find it more enjoyable. ;)

Breaking a crank, BB spindle, or pedal spindle is much less dramatic on
a recumbent than on an upright, as long as the rider keeps his/her foot
in the air to prevent potential "leg suck".

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island