DuraAce 10 speed cranks chirp?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Duane Dobesh, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Duane Dobesh

    Duane Dobesh Guest

    I put a set of Dura Ace 10 speed cranks on my bike and now have a chirp
    coming from the bb area. Kind of like something is rubbing against a rubber
    seal....or ?

    Anybody have any experience with this problem?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Duane-<< I put a set of Dura Ace 10 speed cranks on my bike and now have a
    chirp
    coming from the bb area. Kind of like something is rubbing against a rubber
    seal....or ? >><BR><BR>

    We have seen a lot of these and XTR/XT that come to us making noise. Even tho
    they look whizbang and are expensive, some basic things still apply.

    MUST have the BB shell faced well. Since the big, long spindle goes into and
    thru both BB 'cups', it is as essential as a conventional BB(or more).

    Grasso, grease, lube, something everywhere you think it oughta be. Seals, metal
    to metal, anywhere.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. Duane Dobesh

    Duane Dobesh Guest

    Thanks. Will take it a part and make everything greased good. I believe
    the frame shell is faced ok, i.e. many miles on it with 9-speed.

    You are right on expensive looking whizbang. My first impressions are:
    coating on crankarm wore off on first ride. And can't tell the difference
    between my old cranks and these. Would not have put these on, outside my
    old chain rings were pretty worn and i bought these really inexpensively
    from someone that bought them and could not use them.

    Similar experince with the 960 XTR, cannot tell that it is any better than
    the 952. And the bb bearings wear out much quicker. Plus does not shift as
    well. Oh well i guess that is progess.

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Duane-<< I put a set of Dura Ace 10 speed cranks on my bike and now have a
    > chirp
    > coming from the bb area. Kind of like something is rubbing against a

    rubber
    > seal....or ? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > We have seen a lot of these and XTR/XT that come to us making noise. Even

    tho
    > they look whizbang and are expensive, some basic things still apply.
    >
    > MUST have the BB shell faced well. Since the big, long spindle goes into

    and
    > thru both BB 'cups', it is as essential as a conventional BB(or more).
    >
    > Grasso, grease, lube, something everywhere you think it oughta be. Seals,

    metal
    > to metal, anywhere.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > 'Stiffness' claims imply others are 'soft, flexy, unusable' but of

    course they
    > aren't. MANY pros succesfully use that old fashioned square taper in

    the pro
    > pelOton ranks and it doesn't slow them down, not do they break 'em.

    Pros weigh 135 lbs. and get a new bike at least every season. Many of
    us here, not just me, routinely generate _much_ larger pedal forces
    than a pro rider ever does, even on the steepest climb or the hardest
    sprint. And most of us keep our bikes for years, if not decades. Both
    these factors would tend to make a strong, stiff crank a better choice
    for most of us than it would be for a pro racer.

    This should not be considered a defense of Shimano's copy of Bullseye
    cranks, because I neither use nor trust those. But I'll ride a 'bent
    (or give up cycling altogether) before I ride another square-taper BB.
    A man has only so many teeth to give up for the sake of poor design--
    I'll keep those I still have.

    Chalo Colina

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Chalo Colina wrote:

    > ...But I'll ride a 'bent (or give up cycling altogether) before I ride another
    > square-taper BB. A man has only so many teeth to give up for the sake of poor design--
    > I'll keep those I still have.

    Despite the naysayers, riding a recumbent bicycle is better than not
    riding at all. Some of us deviants even find it more enjoyable. ;)

    Breaking a crank, BB spindle, or pedal spindle is much less dramatic on
    a recumbent than on an upright, as long as the rider keeps his/her foot
    in the air to prevent potential "leg suck".

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island