DuraAce brifter and trimming the front derailer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Douglas, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Eric Douglas

    Eric Douglas Guest

    As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim. However, I remember using an double
    105 brifter (97 model, I think) and I was able to trim the front derailer. as I'm hoping to use a
    slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce brifter, I foresee needing to
    occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

    Tags:

  2. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Campy Ergo front is not indexed, you can use 9-speed Ergo levers with 9-speed Shimano cogs
    http://hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

    Or, (ewwwww, I hate this thought, but maybe you can deal with it) Ergo front lever and keep your
    Shimano rear lever - single levers available at http://www.icyclesusa.com/

    "Eric Douglas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim. However, I remember using an double
    > 105 brifter (97 model, I think) and I was able to trim the front derailer. as I'm hoping to use a
    > slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce brifter, I foresee needing to
    > occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

  3. ekdouglas-<< As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim.

    Nope, has trim in the big and middle chainring, ultegra for the middle only.

    << as I'm hoping to use a slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce
    brifter, I foresee needing to occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

    If ya use a DA triple front der it 'should'...

  4. Rb

    Rb Guest

    I have a 4 month-old Dura-Ace triple brifter and I can trim very well with it.

    Actually it's somewhat of a pain because I have to trim it so often. I'm using it with a Ultegra
    triple FD. I've seen suggestions on this newsgroup that the Dura-Ace triple FD cage is designed
    differently the Ultegra model, so maybe the FD differences contribute to my frequent trimming.

    r.b.

  5. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Peter Chisholm writes:
    > [Dura- Ace triple] has trim in the big and middle chainring...
    [snip]

    The DA triple shifter trims on all three rings.

    and "r.b." writes:
    > Actually it's somewhat of a pain because I have to trim it so often. I'm using it with a Ultegra
    > triple FD. I've seen suggestions on this newsgroup that the Dura-Ace triple FD cage is designed
    > differently the Ultegra model, so maybe the FD differences contribute to my frequent trimming.

    The DA triple FD might indeed make a difference for you here, though of course, rings and chainline
    are a consideration too.

    In my experience, the trim window on a DA triple drivetrain is relatively large, without sacrificing
    quickness or precision.

    Nicholas Grieco

  6. Eddie Flayer

    Eddie Flayer Guest

    I run DA triple front d and rear d. Chainline is somewhat extreme on my bike. However, I believe I
    get 1 trim on big ring and 1 trim on middle ring. I can trim to a point where I can get all cog and
    ring combos without rubbing. I have Ultegra triple on another bike and find it requires far less
    trimming. My next build will include double crank and mountain rear derailleur. I would like to have
    low gears and see what it is like not have to shift and trim so much. That said, my DA triple works
    well. I have considered installing an xtr bb, a little narrower than DA and Ultegra triple bb. This
    might make for less severe chainline and perhaps a bit less trimming.

    news:<[email protected]>...