DuraAce brifter and trimming the front derailer

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Douglas, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Douglas

Eric Douglas Guest

As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim. However, I remember using an double
    105 brifter (97 model, I think) and I was able to trim the front derailer. as I'm hoping to use a
    slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce brifter, I foresee needing to
    occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

Tags:

2. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Campy Ergo front is not indexed, you can use 9-speed Ergo levers with 9-speed Shimano cogs
    http://hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

Or, (ewwwww, I hate this thought, but maybe you can deal with it) Ergo front lever and keep your
    Shimano rear lever - single levers available at http://www.icyclesusa.com/

"Eric Douglas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim. However, I remember using an double
    > 105 brifter (97 model, I think) and I was able to trim the front derailer. as I'm hoping to use a
    > slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce brifter, I foresee needing to
    > occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

3. ekdouglas-<< As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim.

Nope, has trim in the big and middle chainring, ultegra for the middle only.

<< as I'm hoping to use a slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce
    brifter, I foresee needing to occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

If ya use a DA triple front der it 'should'...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

4. Rb

Rb Guest

I have a 4 month-old Dura-Ace triple brifter and I can trim very well with it.

Actually it's somewhat of a pain because I have to trim it so often. I'm using it with a Ultegra
    triple FD. I've seen suggestions on this newsgroup that the Dura-Ace triple FD cage is designed
    differently the Ultegra model, so maybe the FD differences contribute to my frequent trimming.

r.b.

5. Nicholas

Nicholas Guest

Peter Chisholm writes:
    > [Dura- Ace triple] has trim in the big and middle chainring...
    [snip]

The DA triple shifter trims on all three rings.

and "r.b." writes:
    > Actually it's somewhat of a pain because I have to trim it so often. I'm using it with a Ultegra
    > triple FD. I've seen suggestions on this newsgroup that the Dura-Ace triple FD cage is designed
    > differently the Ultegra model, so maybe the FD differences contribute to my frequent trimming.

The DA triple FD might indeed make a difference for you here, though of course, rings and chainline
    are a consideration too.

In my experience, the trim window on a DA triple drivetrain is relatively large, without sacrificing
    quickness or precision.

Nicholas Grieco

6. Eddie Flayer

Eddie Flayer Guest

I run DA triple front d and rear d. Chainline is somewhat extreme on my bike. However, I believe I
    get 1 trim on big ring and 1 trim on middle ring. I can trim to a point where I can get all cog and
    ring combos without rubbing. I have Ultegra triple on another bike and find it requires far less
    trimming. My next build will include double crank and mountain rear derailleur. I would like to have
    low gears and see what it is like not have to shift and trim so much. That said, my DA triple works
    well. I have considered installing an xtr bb, a little narrower than DA and Ultegra triple bb. This
    might make for less severe chainline and perhaps a bit less trimming.

[email protected] (Eric Douglas) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > As I understand it, the triple DuraAce brifter dues not trim. However, I remember using an double
    > 105 brifter (97 model, I think) and I was able to trim the front derailer. as I'm hoping to use a
    > slightly mismatched setup, a 48 tooth large chainring with a DuraAce brifter, I foresee needing to
    > occasionally trim the front. Will this be possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.