DuraAce or Ultegra shifter?

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
I am purchasing a groupset to fit on a frame. And the price differential between choosing DuraAce shifters and the Ultegra shifters is about $80 to me.

As I have never used dura ace shifters before, I am wondering if this $80 or so would be well spent on the shifters.

Would appreciate some feedback from people who have actually had experienced with both shifters in the 10 spd variant.

Thanks

gclark8 said:
Ultegra + swim squad = Tomas the Tri-athlete! :)
The only sort of tri-"sport" i am doing at the moment is walk, sit and eat. Does that qualify as an athlete?

With the 10 speed shifters there isn't much difference in their shift feel (they're both unbelievably good). I'm not sure how they'll compare after a few years of use though... I only had my Ultegra-10 groupset for about six months before I ended up selling the bike it was on.

When I bought my new bike I was seriously considering swapping out its Dura-Ace stuff with the Ultegra kit I already had (to get more money when selling the old bike), they felt that similar. But doing the whole replace drivetrain and re-tape handlebars etc. sounded like too much hard work :p

Of all the parts of the drivetrain that make the shifting feel nice, the shifters are the most important part (after proper adjustment and nice clean cables and housings, of course).

I don't know about the 10sp versions but I am presuming that the main difference is the same as for the 9sp and that is longevity. The Ultegra won't last as long as the Dura ace. I have had to replace the right Ultegra levers after 15,000 to 20,000km whereas I haven't worn out the Dura ace levers that I repaced them with so far. They only have about 6,000kms so far in the last 8 months. I only paid USD$240 for my last set from the US.

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
I don't know about the 10sp versions but I am presuming that the main difference is the same as for the 9sp and that is longevity. The Ultegra won't last as long as the Dura ace. I have had to replace the right Ultegra levers after 15,000 to 20,000km whereas I haven't worn out the Dura ace levers that I repaced them with so far. They only have about 6,000kms so far in the last 8 months. I only paid USD$240 for my last set from the US.

Cheers

Geoff
How did the Ultegra shifter misbehave when it wore out?

artemidorus said:
How did the Ultegra shifter misbehave when it wore out?

The pawls didn't engage so I couldn't change gears reliably. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not. It was not a catastrophic failure though that meant I couldnt change gears at all.

I you look on ebay.com left hand levers come up regulary by themselves but never right hand levers.

Cheers

Geoff

I have 10spd Ultegra and can't fault it. Also, for what it's worth, I think that comparing either Ultegra or Dura Ace 10spd to their 9spd incarnations is to compare apple and oranges, particularly, when it comes to the levers and cranks...

If you're doing the kind of kms necessary to wear out your Ultegra levers in a hurry, I submit that you should have got Dura Ace in the first place!!!

If it were me, I'd make the somewhat cheaper yet very beneficial investment of a Dura Ace cable kit. As they say, no cables - no groupset...

Ciao 4 now,

Stanners

Stanners77 said:
I have 10spd Ultegra and can't fault it. Also, for what it's worth, I think that comparing either Ultegra or Dura Ace 10spd to their 9spd incarnations is to compare apple and oranges, particularly, when it comes to the levers and cranks...

If you're doing the kind of kms necessary to wear out your Ultegra levers in a hurry, I submit that you should have got Dura Ace in the first place!!!

If it were me, I'd make the somewhat cheaper yet very beneficial investment of a Dura Ace cable kit. As they say, no cables - no groupset...

Ciao 4 now,

Stanners
Thanks all for the input, I am leaning towards the dura ace now.

gclark8 said:
Thomas, what about the swimming? :D
Had a look at myself in the mirror in bathers ... not a pretty sight! For the sake of public welfare, I am going to hold back on swimming first.:D