DuraAce rear derailleur jockey wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryan Allison

I recently replaced my HG chain with SRAM 89 chain and while doing this I also pulled the jockey
wheels off my derailleur to clean them up. Unfortunately, I didn't pay too much attention during the
disassembly and it wasn't until I was putting it back together that I realized that the jockey
wheels were not the same. One of them has a rotational direction arrow on it and the teeth are
slightly feathered while the other does not. Question is, which one goes where? The shifting is not
as smooth as before and I'm wondering if it is the chain or my bungling of the RD assembly?

Thanks in advance, Bryan

"Bryan Allison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I recently replaced my HG chain with SRAM 89 chain and while doing this I
also
> pulled the jockey wheels off my derailleur to clean them up.
Unfortunately, I
> didn't pay too much attention during the disassembly and it wasn't until I
was
> putting it back together that I realized that the jockey wheels were not
the
> same. One of them has a rotational direction arrow on it and the teeth
are
> slightly feathered while the other does not. Question is, which one goes where? The shifting is
> not as smooth as before and I'm wondering if it is
the
> chain or my bungling of the RD assembly?
>

You might notice one says "G-pulley" (for Guide-pulley), or some such. This is the top, or
guide-pulley.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Bryan Allison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I recently replaced my HG chain with SRAM 89 chain and while doing this I also pulled the jockey
> wheels off my derailleur to clean them up. Unfortunately, I didn't pay too much attention during
> the disassembly and it wasn't until I was putting it back together that I realized that the jockey
> wheels were not the same. One of them has a rotational direction arrow on it and the teeth are
> slightly feathered while the other does not. Question is, which one goes where? The shifting is
> not as smooth as before and I'm wondering if it is the chain or my bungling of the RD assembly?

The top pulley has a little side to side play, or float. The bottom pulley shouldn't move side to
side at all.

Matt O.

Gotta agree on the SRAM vs. Shimano chain. I tried an 89 chain and it did not shift well on an
Ultegra setup. Especially on the front. Compare the side to side play of the SRAM vs. the
Shimano chain.

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 17:18:46 +0000, Mike Krueger wrote:

> << I recently replaced my HG chain with SRAM 89 chain and while doing this I also pulled the
> jockey wheels off my derailleur to clean them up... One of them has a rotational direction arrow
> on it and the teeth are slightly feathered while the other does not. Question is, which one goes
> where? The shifting is not as smooth as before and I'm wondering if it is the chain or my bungling
> of the RD assembly? >>
>
> The one with the arrows goes on the bottom. IME, HG chains shift better than 3rd party chains on
> Shimano drivetrains. YMMV.

"Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> IME, HG chains shift better than 3rd party chains on Shimano drivetrains.
YMMV.

Is this only so for road bikes? I had terrible luck with a Shimano chain on my mountain bike; have
used only Sachs/SRAM for years with no problems.

Bill " road bike (Ultegra Triple) is pretty new, but I'll need a new chain eventually, of course" S.

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > IME, HG chains shift better than 3rd party chains on Shimano drivetrains.
> YMMV.
>
> Is this only so for road bikes? I had terrible luck with a Shimano chain on my mountain bike; have
> used only Sachs/SRAM for years with no problems.
>
> Bill " road bike (Ultegra Triple) is pretty new, but I'll need a new chain eventually, of
> course" S.

I have just a lowly 8sp MTB drivetrain, but SRAM chains work every bit as good as Shimano chains for
me. I buy the cheapest one they'll sell me, which is usually the $15 model (PC48 or something).
Maybe the 9sp road gear is more finicky.

Matt O.

Status
Not open for further replies.