durability of speedplay zero cleats

djlance

May 17, 2005
i currently use speedplay zero pedals. I live in south texas so the weather is really humid. I use my speedplay pedals on my schwinn indoor spinner. I ride everyday for about and hour to an hour and a half. I use wedges on my left shoe (about 6 stack on ontop of the other to help with my leg length difference). I purchased the pedals about 2 to 3 months ago. I lubricated them properly and cleaned them often. Today before i started my training routine i looked at the plastic base plate and realized that the nut that the long screw for the metal plate screws into on the plastic base plate was broken. Thinking nothing of it i ordered replacement cleats and continued my routine. About 30 minutes into the ride i felt the plastic base plate crack. I took off the metal plate and the wedges and realized that the plastic holding the nut had broken off and the nut was still attached to the screw. BY this time i was seriously upset. My question though is, if i tightened the screw to much, how much should i tighten the screw to the plastic base plate. Also i do alot of climbing in and out of the saddle, if this has anyhthing to do with it should i just stick to my old spd cleats or should i have an extra pair of cleats ready. By using this them everyday under strenous training routines, about how long should a normal pair of speedplay zero cleats last. I know it says about every 3000 miles or so but should i buy a pair as soon as i see the plastic base plate screws start to warp. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

sincerely,
P*SSED OFF SPINNER

Ive used speedplays for about 5 years now, and the pair I had before I got my zeros lasted about 4 years, and never had a problem with the cleats. What i did was tighten all of the screws slightly, then went back and tightened them up until they where tight, but not so much that it was even a slight struggle to get it back off, just more than enough to stop things from moving. Lube them ever month or two, and have never had a plate cracking problem......and same as you im in georgia and its very humid here and as well do a good bit of climbing.