durable cleats

qsqsqsqs

Jul 19, 2010
Hello,

My cycling shoes (for spd cleats) are coming to the end of their life and I'm having trouble finding a cheap second hand pair of properly stiff road shoes as they all seem to be designed for 3 hole cleats.

The only experience I've had with 3 hole cleats were some look plastic ones which wore out in a couple of months (I commute and have to walk too far to do it like a penguin). I also like having dual sided pedals as I go riding with the kids at the weekend in normal shoes.

So my question is are there any durable (i.e. metal) three hole cleat systems out there or am I going to have to bite the bullet and spend too much money on a new pair of spd shoes?

Cheers,
Patrick

IMO, if you know you are going to be walking more than 100 FEET (i.e., ~30 yards/meters) at a time, then you should probably get some MTB shoes.

Yes, but if you really are set on road shoes, there are also companies which make 3 hole to 2 hole adapters. Wellgo make em to suit either their or Shimano's cleats. All of the durable metal cleats are two hole.

Well, since the body-modification types have already done threaded inserts for horns and such, maybe you can just get your feet modded so you can ride barefoot :eek:

qsqsqsqs said:
Hello,

My cycling shoes (for spd cleats) are coming to the end of their life and I'm having trouble finding a cheap second hand pair of properly stiff road shoes as they all seem to be designed for 3 hole cleats.

The only experience I've had with 3 hole cleats were some look plastic ones which wore out in a couple of months (I commute and have to walk too far to do it like a penguin). I also like having dual sided pedals as I go riding with the kids at the weekend in normal shoes.

So my question is are there any durable (i.e. metal) three hole cleat systems out there or am I going to have to bite the bullet and spend too much money on a new pair of spd shoes?

Cheers,
Patrick
There are many road shoes that have the two hole and three hole pattern. I wear road shoes (pearl Izumi $70) with SPD cleats AND I walk quite a bit also; it's not that bad... Just make sure the shoe is NOT just a 3 hole pattern...

Thanks guys, just what I needed to know. I;m going to stick to the two hole spds but I can't bring myself to buy mtb shoes so I'll just have to hope I find a cheap pair on ebay before my current ones disintegrate. Thanks again.