durable tires

t0mm0r

Dec 16, 2003
i'm lookin for some nice training tires that are not flat prone and will last me a good 5k miles. lookin around the 50 to 60 dollar range for a pair... anyone have any suggestions

Alistair Doe

Sep 9, 2003
Hi,

I've just bought a set of "puncture proof" tyres in the UK. They are great, slightly more rollling resistance than my normal 700Cx23 but great for winter training. Prior to using these, I was puncturing 1-2 times per training run. The company which sells them say they are about 1-2mph slower that normal tyres.

They are made by a company called GreenTyre. If you want more details then please let me know.

PS they come in different colours for the image concious.

t0mm0r

Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by Alistair Doe
Hi,

I've just bought a set of "puncture proof" tyres in the UK. They are great, slightly more rollling resistance than my normal 700Cx23 but great for winter training. Prior to using these, I was puncturing 1-2 times per training run. The company which sells them say they are about 1-2mph slower that normal tyres.

They are made by a company called GreenTyre. If you want more details then please let me know.

PS they come in different colours for the image concious.

is there somewhere where i can find them online to order. I live in the US so i would prefer a US based vendor

t0mm0r

Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by Alistair Doe
I used http://www.racingcyclist.com/

They are very helpful and may know of a US vendor.

well i found that i can order them right from the GreenTyre website. though i'm a bit weary of the whole airless thing. how does the feel of the ride compare to regular rubber tyres. also i will be riding about 200 mile weeks this summer and i don't want something that will fatigue me quickly by trying to avg at least 17 mph. i probably won't be racing so its not much of a factor. I just cycle to keep in shape and for the mere enjoyment of being on a bike that i so dearly love. Stupid winter is keepin me off from it right now. being cold just takes away all the fun :(

Corsaire

Oct 16, 2003
All Condition Armadillos 700x23C
www.specialized.com

Tough, hard to get flats and good for training since they're a bit on the heavy side, it can only make you stronger boy!
Corsaire

Alistair Doe

Sep 9, 2003
I've only done about 200 miles on the GreenTyres and find them fine. Not as comfortable as air but not as hard as you might think. They claim about 100psi and I have no reason to doubt this but I do have carbon forks which helps. Just the lack of punctures makes them great for training and winter runs.

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
i also use the specialized armadillos. they have a kevlar lining, and i also put a tire liner in them. i rarely have a flat, and when i get one, i know it was something big that i ran over.

they also wear very well, too. probably not the fastest tire, but one of the most durable i've seen. they are about $35 each in the US.

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
i also use the specialized armadillos. they have a kevlar lining, and i also put a tire liner in them. i rarely have a flat, and when i get one, i know it was something big that i ran over.

they also wear very well, too. probably not the fastest tire, but one of the most durable i've seen. they are about $35 each in the US.

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003