Dutch culture

On Tue, 25 May 2004 00:03:39 +0200, Mark South wrote:

> Unless I contend that it's obvious that the "gezelligheid" implies context that
> is specifically loaded by it's Dutch origin, but that it's unlikely the context
> cannot be expressed in English (which is considered an expressively rich
> language) and so the OP's idea that the concept expressed by "gezelligheid"
> exists only to Dutch people sinks slowly into the semantic sea, weighed down by
> a pile of syntax.

The OP didn't have any such idea. He only quoted from a book and not even
the book implied what you are suggesting. See below:

>> The Dutch thrive on "gezelligheid". It is such a highly valued and
>> aspired concept that there is no foreign word that equals it. Roughly,
>> it means a warm, cosy and homely feeling that you are doing the right
>> thing by contributing to the wellbeing of one and all.

It doesn't say that the concept of 'gezelligheid' doesn't exist in other
cultures. It only claims that other languages don't have a word for it.

--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I have never killed a man, but I have read many

> On Tue, 25 May 2004 00:04:58 +0200, Mark South wrote:
> > Quite right. Stick to the beer, Mijnheer.

> You keep giving me ****, I really don't understand it.

That's strange, I thought we were playing quite nicely.

> Bye bye, asshole.

Whatever floats your cleats.