Dutchy needs Infrared

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x

There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or other ways to do this?

cheers
FD

PS I have a spare 710i and (flat-battery) chest-sensor thingy and bike/speed sensor too if anyone is interested...

flyingdutch said:
Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x

There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or other ways to do this?

cheers
FD

PS I have a spare 710i and (flat-battery) chest-sensor thingy and bike/speed sensor too if anyone is interested...
hmm .. price seems about right - non-ebay options include:

http://www.dickinson.com.au/prices/polar.asp these guys have em fer $85, $5 freight

http://www.nk.com.au/Polar_heart_rate.htm have em fer $77, with $13.20 freight.

I guess you need to buy the sensor, unless you're using a laptop with a built-in IR transmitter/receiver. (I asume they might work anyway - never tried em)

Ash

flyingdutch said:
Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x

There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or other ways to do this?

Yep - a good laptop iR port will work just fine.... stay away from cheap USB to iR converters as they dont have the required drivers/settings for the Polar to work...

I use both a laptop and Polar USB iR thingy... yet the software still bugs the **** out of me...

cheers,
GPL

flyingdutch said:
Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x

There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or other ways to do this?

cheers
FD

PS I have a spare 710i and (flat-battery) chest-sensor thingy and bike/speed sensor too if anyone is interested...
got mine from a computer hardware shop for $50.

Works great.

gplama said:
Yep - a good laptop iR port will work just fine.... stay away from cheap USB to iR converters as they dont have the required drivers/settings for the Polar to work...

I use both a laptop and Polar USB iR thingy... yet the software still bugs the **** out of me...

cheers,
GPL

no iR port unfortunately :(

F"feed me stats"Dutch

gplama wrote:
> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x
> >
> > There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or
> > other ways to do this?
> >

> Yep - a good laptop iR port will work just fine.... stay away from
> cheap USB to iR converters as they dont have the required
> drivers/settings for the Polar to work...

Some do, some don't. the one you can buy from XON PCs in Lonsdale St
works (opposite the JB HiFi DVD shop). About $40, from memory.

> I use both a laptop and Polar USB iR thingy... yet the software still
> bugs the **** out of me...

You got it updated? There's lots of bugfixes along the way ...

www.polar.fi

flyingdutch said:
Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x

There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or other ways to do this?

cheers
FD

PS I have a spare 710i and (flat-battery) chest-sensor thingy and bike/speed sensor too if anyone is interested...

Dutchy,
You don't need to use the polar one, I got one for $50 new. But make sure it doesn't use the sigmatel chipset. Here's a post I made a while back on the subject or do a aus.bicycle googlegroupsearch for "sigmatel". I'd be interested in the 710i and bits. PM me if keen.

Adam
I had the same problem, and the answer was that the polar software will
not work with a USB infrared adaptor that uses the SIGMATEL chip. I took
mine back and bought a BELKIN. You can check the chipset in control
panel->system->hardware->device manager->properties

See this post on the forum at www.pursuit-performance.com.au
-------------------
The only chipset we are aware of is the SIGMATEL; it appears in the
BAFO and SPIRIT devices (both appear nearly identical), that we know
of.
We have been using for test purposes, either a BELKIN purchased from
Harvey Norman or a similar device purchased from Jaycar Electronics
(the device manager reports the manufacturer as KC Technology, Inc.)
Both of these work with no problems with any "i" model plus mobile
phones etc.

Note. We have not heard of any laptop builtin IrDA ports not working
with the "i" models.

Pursuit Performance Pty Ltd
-------------------

gplama said:
Yep - a good laptop iR port will work just fine.... stay away from cheap USB to iR converters as they dont have the required drivers/settings for the Polar to work...

I use both a laptop and Polar USB iR thingy... yet the software still bugs the **** out of me...

cheers,
GPL

gplama, check your gmail. got's some pix of my T40 which looks like it may actually ahve an IR-thingy on it?
stoopid PCs...

flyingdutch said:
gplama, check your gmail. got's some pix of my T40 which looks like it may actually ahve an IR-thingy on it?
stoopid PCs...

done and done... I'll get it working for you if required.. you'll first have to kick some butt around BV and get them to post their Sunday ITT times... :)

Emailed em.. refreshed the page 50billion times... nothing! nothing!... argh!! :run around screaming:

cheers,
GPL

a5hi5m wrote:

> I guess you need to buy the sensor, unless you're using a laptop with a
> built-in IR transmitter/receiver. (I asume they might work anyway -
> never tried em)

I recall a built-in IR transcever will work providing you're on win95.
Something about changes to the IR code in later windows that prevent the kind
of low level stuff required otherwise.

Though other posts in this thread don't imply an OS limitation, so I might
be wrong.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:53:46 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

> gplama, check your gmail. got's some pix of my T40 which looks like it may
> actually ahve an IR-thingy on it? stoopid PCs...

Thinkpad? Probably does, but a good chance it's disabled in BIOS. Try F2
or del when you first turn it on (the blue IBM screen) and look at the
settings.

I also had to slow down the port to about 9600 baud to get it to talk to a
Nokia phone

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac Asimov's got one too. It's

a5hi5m said:
Pack it up, go fer a recovery ride!

Ash

everybody better get ouuta my way at Kew tonight.
gonna be too busy staring at the stats :rolleyes:

and then crying afterwards when stats tell too much :D