Dutchy needs Infrared

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x

    There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or other ways to do this?

    cheers
    FD

    PS I have a spare 710i and (flat-battery) chest-sensor thingy and bike/speed sensor too if anyone is interested...

    Tags:

  2. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    hmm .. price seems about right - non-ebay options include:

    http://www.dickinson.com.au/prices/polar.asp these guys have em fer $85, $5 freight

    http://www.nk.com.au/Polar_heart_rate.htm have em fer $77, with $13.20 freight.

    I guess you need to buy the sensor, unless you're using a laptop with a built-in IR transmitter/receiver. (I asume they might work anyway - never tried em)

    Ash

  3. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    Yep - a good laptop iR port will work just fine.... stay away from cheap USB to iR converters as they dont have the required drivers/settings for the Polar to work...

    I use both a laptop and Polar USB iR thingy... yet the software still bugs the crap out of me...

    cheers,
    GPL

  4. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    got mine from a computer hardware shop for $50.

    Works great.

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    no iR port unfortunately :(

    F"feed me stats"Dutch

  6. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    gplama wrote:
    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > Polar USB Irda thingy to get my stats-fix off my Polar 725x
    > >
    > > There's one on eBay for $75 is that reasonable or is there others or
    > > other ways to do this?
    > >

    > Yep - a good laptop iR port will work just fine.... stay away from
    > cheap USB to iR converters as they dont have the required
    > drivers/settings for the Polar to work...

    Some do, some don't. the one you can buy from XON PCs in Lonsdale St
    works (opposite the JB HiFi DVD shop). About $40, from memory.

    > I use both a laptop and Polar USB iR thingy... yet the software still
    > bugs the crap out of me...

    You got it updated? There's lots of bugfixes along the way ...

    www.polar.fi

  7. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004

    Dutchy,
    You don't need to use the polar one, I got one for $50 new. But make sure it doesn't use the sigmatel chipset. Here's a post I made a while back on the subject or do a aus.bicycle googlegroupsearch for "sigmatel". I'd be interested in the 710i and bits. PM me if keen.

    Adam
    I had the same problem, and the answer was that the polar software will
    not work with a USB infrared adaptor that uses the SIGMATEL chip. I took
    mine back and bought a BELKIN. You can check the chipset in control
    panel->system->hardware->device manager->properties

    See this post on the forum at www.pursuit-performance.com.au
    -------------------
    The only chipset we are aware of is the SIGMATEL; it appears in the
    BAFO and SPIRIT devices (both appear nearly identical), that we know
    of.
    We have been using for test purposes, either a BELKIN purchased from
    Harvey Norman or a similar device purchased from Jaycar Electronics
    (the device manager reports the manufacturer as KC Technology, Inc.)
    Both of these work with no problems with any "i" model plus mobile
    phones etc.

    Note. We have not heard of any laptop builtin IrDA ports not working
    with the "i" models.

    Pursuit Performance Pty Ltd
    -------------------

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    gplama, check your gmail. got's some pix of my T40 which looks like it may actually ahve an IR-thingy on it?
    stoopid PCs...

  9. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    done and done... I'll get it working for you if required.. you'll first have to kick some butt around BV and get them to post their Sunday ITT times... :)

    Emailed em.. refreshed the page 50billion times... nothing! nothing!... argh!! :run around screaming:

    cheers,
    GPL

  10. a5hi5m wrote:

    > I guess you need to buy the sensor, unless you're using a laptop with a
    > built-in IR transmitter/receiver. (I asume they might work anyway -
    > never tried em)

    I recall a built-in IR transcever will work providing you're on win95.
    Something about changes to the IR code in later windows that prevent the kind
    of low level stuff required otherwise.

    Though other posts in this thread don't imply an OS limitation, so I might
    be wrong.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622
    <http://counter.li.org>

  11. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:53:46 +1100, flyingdutch wrote:

    > gplama, check your gmail. got's some pix of my T40 which looks like it may
    > actually ahve an IR-thingy on it? stoopid PCs...

    Thinkpad? Probably does, but a good chance it's disabled in BIOS. Try F2
    or del when you first turn it on (the blue IBM screen) and look at the
    settings.

    I also had to slow down the port to about 9600 baud to get it to talk to a
    Nokia phone

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac Asimov's got one too. It's

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    working! working!

    gee. HR is a bit high...
    selfhelpdesk is stressful!!!

    cheers all

  13. a5hi5m

    a5hi5m New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Pack it up, go fer a recovery ride!

    Ash

  14. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    everybody better get ouuta my way at Kew tonight.
    gonna be too busy staring at the stats :rolleyes:

    and then crying afterwards when stats tell too much :D