DVD V clips questions RECUMBENT RELATED

Bill B

Guest
I have been using my Sony digital camera for recording Video clips
while riding my bent. Works great and the clips are entertaining to
watch. I have been uploading these clips into my puter and with the
help of Inter video WinDVD creator made and burned several recumbent
ride DVD's. I can play these DVDs on both my computer and my Hitachi
DVD player. A couple of other pals can also play their copy on both
their computer and player. Now there are two other pals that can not
play the DVD recumbent disk on their players but can play it on their
computers.The DVD disks are Imation DVD+R. Anybody know whaz-zup?

I doubt it's because of the brand of disks but more on what DVD format you
are using, currently 2 types are available DVD+R and DVD-R. DVD-R is
currently the most compatible although by a very slight margin now. Early
generation DVD players can have problems playing burned disks of either
format.

I have a DVD-R and so far my disks have played on everything except one very
old Creative Labs DVD player.

news:[email protected]...

In article <y_QZc.280124$eM2.109897@attbi_s51>, Mark Leuck
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I doubt it's because of the brand of disks but more on what DVD format you
> are using, currently 2 types are available DVD+R and DVD-R. DVD-R is
> currently the most compatible although by a very slight margin now. Early
> generation DVD players can have problems playing burned disks of either
> format.
>
> I have a DVD-R and so far my disks have played on everything except one very
> old Creative Labs DVD player.
>
> "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have been using my Sony digital camera for recording Video clips
> > while riding my bent. Works great and the clips are entertaining to
> > watch. I have been uploading these clips into my puter and with the
> > help of Inter video WinDVD creator made and burned several recumbent
> > ride DVD's. I can play these DVDs on both my computer and my Hitachi
> > DVD player. A couple of other pals can also play their copy on both
> > their computer and player. Now there are two other pals that can not
> > play the DVD recumbent disk on their players but can play it on their
> > computers.The DVD disks are Imation DVD+R. Anybody know whaz-zup?

Mark is right. DVD-R is better for video and +R for data..or so i have
been told. That being said, DVD standalone players are finicky and
will flake out if they don't like how the disk was written or if one of
your bitrates are off on the audio or video. You may have done
everything right but the player might still gimp out.

Feel free to post a link to a low res version of one of your
videos...i'd be interested to see it.
Cheers

Slugger <[email protected]> wrote in
news:030920040042512417%[email protected]:

> In article <y_QZc.280124$eM2.109897@attbi_s51>, Mark Leuck
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I doubt it's because of the brand of disks but more on what DVD
>> format you are using, currently 2 types are available DVD+R and
>> DVD-R. DVD-R is currently the most compatible although by a very
>> slight margin now. Early generation DVD players can have problems
>> playing burned disks of either format.
>>
>> I have a DVD-R and so far my disks have played on everything except
>> one very old Creative Labs DVD player.
>>
>> "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I have been using my Sony digital camera for recording Video clips
>> > while riding my bent. Works great and the clips are entertaining to
>> > watch. I have been uploading these clips into my puter and with the
>> > help of Inter video WinDVD creator made and burned several
>> > recumbent ride DVD's. I can play these DVDs on both my computer and
>> > my Hitachi DVD player. A couple of other pals can also play their
>> > copy on both their computer and player. Now there are two other
>> > pals that can not play the DVD recumbent disk on their players but
>> > can play it on their computers.The DVD disks are Imation DVD+R.
>> > Anybody know whaz-zup?

> Mark is right. DVD-R is better for video and +R for data..or so i have
> been told. That being said, DVD standalone players are finicky and
> will flake out if they don't like how the disk was written or if one
> of your bitrates are off on the audio or video. You may have done
> everything right but the player might still gimp out.
>
> Feel free to post a link to a low res version of one of your
> videos...i'd be interested to see it.
> Cheers

I've had to copy a DVD-R I made to a DVD+R for a friend whose
portable player wouldn't read the DVD-R. I think it just depends on the
brand of player you're using. Also, DVD+R supports something called
"bitsetting", read more here;

http://www.bobhudson.com/bitsetting/

-D

"David Jillefsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Slugger <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:030920040042512417%[email protected]:
>
> I've had to copy a DVD-R I made to a DVD+R for a friend whose
> portable player wouldn't read the DVD-R. I think it just depends on the
> brand of player you're using. Also, DVD+R supports something called
> "bitsetting", read more here;
>
> http://www.bobhudson.com/bitsetting/
>
> -D

Much of the compatibility issues with DVD+R drive came from the first
generation drives which weren't very compatible with stand alone players,
these issues have for the most part been resolved. Technically the +R drives
do NOT follow the DVD standard from Phillips while the DVD-R drives do (you
will see the official DVD logo on those drives)

These days tho it is rare you will find issues with either standard although
I personally prefer -R drives however with the new DL (Dual Layer) drives I
might switch to +R in the near future.

My guess is the original poster's problems with those couple of drives is
due to those drives being older models and I doubt either DVD standard would
work in them. It is also possible either his drive or the drives in question
have tracking issues cause by slight head mis-alignments, I've seen that on
occasion with standard CD players