DVDs for Christmas

Captain Dondo

Guest
I'm looking for some DVDs for Christmas.

I had asked for the 2001 TDF 4 hour DVD set - but it seems that the "critics" hated it - mostly
because of the commentary (it seems that WCP has their own announcer, who is an idiot, instead of
using Phil Ligget.)

So, any suggestions? I am looking for something that will liven up those indoor training sessions,
and also motivate the less-motivated in the classes I teach. It's hard to explain the finer points
of cycling to those who have never been on a real bike...

So, I'm looking for maybe 4 hours of *great* cycling, minimal "human interest" stuff, minimal fluff,
just great videos of riders contesting sprints, hills, and their own failings (like Lance's
exhausted, dehydrated time trial, or his similar mountain climg last year).

-Dondo

--
What am I on? I'm on my bike, o__ 6 hours a day, busting my ass. ,>/'_ What are you on? --Lance
Armstrong (_)\(_)

Captain Dondo wrote:

> I'm looking for some DVDs for Christmas.
>
> I had asked for the 2001 TDF 4 hour DVD set - but it seems that the "critics" hated it - mostly
> because of the commentary (it seems that WCP has their own announcer, who is an idiot, instead of
> using Phil Ligget.)

WCP 2001 10hr set (5 DVDs) for a couple 10's more, you get Paul and Phil. Sprint stages are trimmed
to the finishes while the mountain stages get far longer treatment. Some music is dubbed, which I
personally found annoying, and there's some guy who pops up between stages with brief commentary. I
wouldn't even consider a shorter version, as 10hr seemed too brief as it was.

Considering the cost to manufacture DVDs I can't understand why WCP and OLN don't get together and
make the whole OLN coverage available. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

> So, any suggestions? I am looking for something that will liven up those indoor training sessions,
> and also motivate the less-motivated in the classes I teach. It's hard to explain the finer points
> of cycling to those who have never been on a real bike...
>
> So, I'm looking for maybe 4 hours of *great* cycling, minimal "human interest" stuff, minimal
> fluff, just great videos of riders contesting sprints, hills, and their own failings (like Lance's
> exhausted, dehydrated time trial, or his similar mountain climg last year).
>
> -Dondo

Not much human interest stuff in the version I have (10hr) race race race. Climb climb climb. Not
even Bob Roll. :-( You can pretty much pick out the stages you want to watch from the menu.

Personally I like the 99 TDF video, the one that I have is the 4 DVD set of the '99 and '00 Tours.
The mountain coverage is pretty good, but stage 9 to Sestriere (sorry for the spelling) is just one
of those inhuman performances. And all the TT's are really good, just wish the coverage would have
lasted longer...just my .02 cents worth