DX frame is too heavy!!!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by manon1wheel, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    my new torker dx frame is too heavy... i can barely hop. im thinking of
    buying a different one. which opne will fit the torker bearing
    holders.. can a KH fit it?
    i would like an extremely light frame to make it as light as it can
    be.. thank you all

    p.s. its a 20" frame

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley Crosby

    getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
    -.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  2. Michea

    Michea Guest

    I'm pretty sure that the newest KH frame won't fit the torker bearings.
    I think the KH is meant for bearings of the 42mm OD dimension, whereas
    The Torker DX bearing has a 40mm OD and a 20mm ID. I could be wrong,
    but my sources were unicycle.com for the kh frame specs, and some other
    old thread here for the dx info. I'm pretty sure the Nimbus 2 would
    fit. You could ask unicycle.com to find out for sure. (1-800-unicycle
    would be best as they're not great about emailing).

    --
    Michea

    KH trials: 12.46 lbs.
    Onza: 13.23 lbs. Qu-Ax Splined: 14.44 lbs.
    Koxx-one Devil: 13.23 lbs.
    Landing that new trick for the first time: Weightless.
    For taking a crap there's Sitting Down. For everything else, there's
    Unicycle.
    Michea's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11044

  3. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    manon1wheel wrote:
    > my new torker dx frame is too heavy... i can barely hop.

    Are you blaming your inability to hop on the weight of your frame?

    Try this:
    Hold the unicycle off the ground, maybe hold it by the frame. Jump.
    Did you make it off the ground? How high can you jump with the
    unicycle in your hands? I'd say you could do some pretty big jumps.

    What's the point? The weight of the unicycle _isn't_ the reason you
    can "barely hop"...

    Practice more! You can hop on a torker no prob... you just need to
    learn how!

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  4. Brian O.

    Brian O. Guest

  5. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    "i can barely ho" is a figure of speach... i can hop 28 inches but on my
    freinds unicycle i can hop way more!!!... i just need it lighter to
    control my hop more

    --
    manon1wheel

    Riley Crosby

    getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
    -.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  6. Arking

    Arking Guest

    I tend to agree, instead of buying a new frame, take the time you would
    have spent paying it off and practice hopping. Not only will you
    probably build your hight up as high or higher than a lighter frame
    would have, you build strength and skill which can pay off later when
    you get a lighter uni.

    I watched Alex Toms jump 85cm with an old style steel summit (I think)
    frame. They weigh a ton, same frame he did the 130cm pedal grab with as
    far as I know.

    Rob

    --
    Arking

    "Wanna give us a demo?" - 4 Police patroling outside Redfern station
    after riots
    Arking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5612

  7. DK

    DK Guest

    step 1- acquire drill and 1/2'' drill bit
    step 2- drill holes in frame

    Shazam your frame is lighter!

    --
    DK

    *\"faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of
    death.\" - hunter s. thompson*
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

  8. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    DK wrote:
    > step 1- acquire drill and 1/2'' drill bit
    > step 2- drill holes in frame
    >
    > Shazam your frame is lighter!

    Step 3: ruin your frame.
    don't do that.
    build some muscle. Sorry if it sounds mean, it's not supposed to... as
    was said earlier: when you get a new lighter uni, it'll be easier to
    hop.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  9. abbabibble wrote:
    > Step 3: ruin your frame.
    > don't do that.

    Well, you're right, in a way, but wrong on principle. I rode a 20"
    united frame with 5/8" holes in the legs for about a month before I got
    my aluminum frame set up. However, anyone who reccomends using a 1/2"
    drill bit in 4130 steel with a hand held drill, no predrilling, and no
    cutting fluid has never drilled a frame before, or has wasted many 1/2"
    bits. That's just not feasible.

    The frame isn't too heavy. Weight savings are an expensive attempt at
    improved hop height, when a couple of hours of practice are an adaquate
    replacement. Rob and Jason have it right... So what if you can jump
    some 2" higher on your friend's unicycle? Will that actually open up
    any more trials lines, or will it just mean more bragging rights? you
    get the picture.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  10. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

  11. pdc

    pdc Guest

    How much do those DX 20's weigh? That's one of the few trials uni
    weights I don't know.

    Trials weigh in:
    '05 KH - 12 lbs
    '05 Onza - 13.22 lbs
    '05 Qu Ax - 14.44 lbs
    Summit - 14.87 lbs
    '06 Torker DX - ?

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  12. pdc wrote:
    > How much do those DX 20's weigh? That's one of the few trials uni
    > weights I don't know.
    >
    > Trials weigh in:
    > '05 KH - 12 lbs
    > '05 Onza - 13.22 lbs
    > '05 Qu Ax - 14.44 lbs
    > Summit - 14.87 lbs
    > '06 Torker DX - ?

    Thats what I would like to know aswell.

    I'm just wondering, how accurate are those figures? No one rides a
    unicycle with the same seatpost height.... so most of te time the uni
    will end up slightly lighter.

    Allthough that doesnt really matter...:p

    --
    forrestunifreak

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
    it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
    and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

  13. pdc

    pdc Guest

    forrestunifreak wrote:
    > Thats what I would like to know aswell.
    >

    > I'm just wondering, how accurate are those figures? No one rides a
    > unicycle with the same seatpost height.... so most of te time the uni
    > will end up slightly lighter.
    >
    > Allthough that doesnt really matter...:p

    The Onza and the Summit I weighed on our shipping scale, the others I
    got off UDC. I'll weigh my '05 KH and see if it's the same as the UDC
    info.

    --
    pdc

    "What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
    mother"
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

  14. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    Why does it has to be the frame?
    And not the pedals, crankarms, hub, saddle, seatpost?
    And most of all, why not all of them?
    It's not one part you need to change to save lots of weight..

    Why don't you cut your seatfoam, and save 100 grams, and above that,
    makes your saddle much more confty to hold on to..

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  15. Tim

    Tim Guest

    girlon1wheel? I've used a summit my whole trials life. Get used to the
    weight thats what I did. If you weigh 250 lbs dont blame the frame for
    being heavy. I lost 40 lbs and that hasn't helped much -yet- because I
    haven't practiced much resently. The DX can't weigh more then the
    summit either.

    I wouldn't drill I would mill slots. haha. Beavan is right about the
    drilling 1/2 holes bad idea to just straight drill through. Working in
    a maching shop is awesome.

    --
    Tim

    Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)

    Smoking Jagurs old pipe.

  16. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

  17. manon1wheel wrote:
    > lol.. you know the dx is a half a pound heavier... figures...

    ..than what?

    --
    forrestunifreak

    warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
    it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
    it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
    and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

  18. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > Well, you're right, in a way, but wrong on principle. I rode a 20"
    > united frame with 5/8" holes in the legs for about a month before I got
    > my aluminum frame set up. However, anyone who reccomends using a 1/2"
    > drill bit in 4130 steel with a hand held drill, no predrilling, and no
    > cutting fluid has never drilled a frame before, or has wasted many 1/2"
    > bits. That's just not feasible.
    >
    > The frame isn't too heavy. Weight savings are an expensive attempt at
    > improved hop height, when a couple of hours of practice are an adaquate
    > replacement. Rob and Jason have it right... So what if you can jump
    > some 2" higher on your friend's unicycle? Will that actually open up
    > any more trials lines, or will it just mean more bragging rights? you
    > get the picture.

    Bevs right, If you do deside to drill holes youl need a proper
    clamp/vise and a drill press or a milling machine.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367