DX frame is too heavy!!!

manon1wheel

Guest
my new torker dx frame is too heavy... i can barely hop. im thinking of
buying a different one. which opne will fit the torker bearing
holders.. can a KH fit it?
i would like an extremely light frame to make it as light as it can
be.. thank you all

p.s. its a 20" frame

--
manon1wheel

Riley Crosby

getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
-.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

I'm pretty sure that the newest KH frame won't fit the torker bearings.
I think the KH is meant for bearings of the 42mm OD dimension, whereas
The Torker DX bearing has a 40mm OD and a 20mm ID. I could be wrong,
but my sources were unicycle.com for the kh frame specs, and some other
old thread here for the dx info. I'm pretty sure the Nimbus 2 would
fit. You could ask unicycle.com to find out for sure. (1-800-unicycle
would be best as they're not great about emailing).

--
Michea

KH trials: 12.46 lbs.
Onza: 13.23 lbs. Qu-Ax Splined: 14.44 lbs.
Koxx-one Devil: 13.23 lbs.
Landing that new trick for the first time: Weightless.
For taking a **** there's Sitting Down. For everything else, there's
Unicycle.
Michea's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11044

manon1wheel wrote:
> my new torker dx frame is too heavy... i can barely hop.

Are you blaming your inability to hop on the weight of your frame?

Try this:
Hold the unicycle off the ground, maybe hold it by the frame. Jump.
Did you make it off the ground? How high can you jump with the
unicycle in your hands? I'd say you could do some pretty big jumps.

What's the point? The weight of the unicycle _isn't_ the reason you
can "barely hop"...

Practice more! You can hop on a torker no prob... you just need to
learn how!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

"i can barely ho" is a figure of speach... i can hop 28 inches but on my
freinds unicycle i can hop way more!!!... i just need it lighter to
control my hop more

--
manon1wheel

Riley Crosby

getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
-.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

I tend to agree, instead of buying a new frame, take the time you would
have spent paying it off and practice hopping. Not only will you
probably build your hight up as high or higher than a lighter frame
would have, you build strength and skill which can pay off later when
you get a lighter uni.

I watched Alex Toms jump 85cm with an old style steel summit (I think)
frame. They weigh a ton, same frame he did the 130cm pedal grab with as
far as I know.

Rob

--
Arking

"Wanna give us a demo?" - 4 Police patroling outside Redfern station
after riots
Arking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5612

DK wrote:
> step 1- acquire drill and 1/2'' drill bit
> step 2- drill holes in frame
>
> Shazam your frame is lighter!

Step 3: ruin your frame.
don't do that.
build some muscle. Sorry if it sounds mean, it's not supposed to... as
was said earlier: when you get a new lighter uni, it'll be easier to
hop.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

abbabibble wrote:
> Step 3: ruin your frame.
> don't do that.

Well, you're right, in a way, but wrong on principle. I rode a 20"
united frame with 5/8" holes in the legs for about a month before I got
my aluminum frame set up. However, anyone who reccomends using a 1/2"
drill bit in 4130 steel with a hand held drill, no predrilling, and no
cutting fluid has never drilled a frame before, or has wasted many 1/2"
bits. That's just not feasible.

The frame isn't too heavy. Weight savings are an expensive attempt at
improved hop height, when a couple of hours of practice are an adaquate
replacement. Rob and Jason have it right... So what if you can jump
some 2" higher on your friend's unicycle? Will that actually open up
any more trials lines, or will it just mean more bragging rights? you
get the picture.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

How much do those DX 20's weigh? That's one of the few trials uni
weights I don't know.

Trials weigh in:
'05 KH - 12 lbs
'05 Onza - 13.22 lbs
'05 Qu Ax - 14.44 lbs
Summit - 14.87 lbs
'06 Torker DX - ?

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

pdc wrote:
> How much do those DX 20's weigh? That's one of the few trials uni
> weights I don't know.
>
> Trials weigh in:
> '05 KH - 12 lbs
> '05 Onza - 13.22 lbs
> '05 Qu Ax - 14.44 lbs
> Summit - 14.87 lbs
> '06 Torker DX - ?

Thats what I would like to know aswell.

I'm just wondering, how accurate are those figures? No one rides a
unicycle with the same seatpost height.... so most of te time the uni
will end up slightly lighter.

Allthough that doesnt really matter...:p

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

forrestunifreak wrote:
> Thats what I would like to know aswell.
>

> I'm just wondering, how accurate are those figures? No one rides a
> unicycle with the same seatpost height.... so most of te time the uni
> will end up slightly lighter.
>
> Allthough that doesnt really matter...:p

The Onza and the Summit I weighed on our shipping scale, the others I
got off UDC. I'll weigh my '05 KH and see if it's the same as the UDC
info.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

Why does it has to be the frame?
And not the pedals, crankarms, hub, saddle, seatpost?
And most of all, why not all of them?
It's not one part you need to change to save lots of weight..

Why don't you cut your seatfoam, and save 100 grams, and above that,
makes your saddle much more confty to hold on to..

--
lleberg

I <3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

girlon1wheel? I've used a summit my whole trials life. Get used to the
weight thats what I did. If you weigh 250 lbs dont blame the frame for
being heavy. I lost 40 lbs and that hasn't helped much -yet- because I
haven't practiced much resently. The DX can't weigh more then the
summit either.

I wouldn't drill I would mill slots. haha. Beavan is right about the
drilling 1/2 holes bad idea to just straight drill through. Working in
a maching shop is awesome.

--
Tim

Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)

Smoking Jagurs old pipe.

manon1wheel wrote:
> lol.. you know the dx is a half a pound heavier... figures...

..than what?

--

gerblefranklin wrote:
> Well, you're right, in a way, but wrong on principle. I rode a 20"
> united frame with 5/8" holes in the legs for about a month before I got
> my aluminum frame set up. However, anyone who reccomends using a 1/2"
> drill bit in 4130 steel with a hand held drill, no predrilling, and no
> cutting fluid has never drilled a frame before, or has wasted many 1/2"
> bits. That's just not feasible.
>
> The frame isn't too heavy. Weight savings are an expensive attempt at
> improved hop height, when a couple of hours of practice are an adaquate
> replacement. Rob and Jason have it right... So what if you can jump
> some 2" higher on your friend's unicycle? Will that actually open up
> any more trials lines, or will it just mean more bragging rights? you
> get the picture.

Bevs right, If you do deside to drill holes youl need a proper
clamp/vise and a drill press or a milling machine.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367