Dymotec 6 dynamo - lubing?

Andy Key

Guest
So there I was, out for a late-afternoon ride with my (excellent) new
Cateye Single Shot Plus blazing away. Hmm, I thought, I wonder how it
compares to the dynamo light? So I flicked on my faithful old B&M
Dymotec 6. A hideous screaming noise followed, and a feeling as if
someone had just slammed on the front brake for me. The resistance has
suddenly increased hugely on the dynamo, to the point where it barely
works at all. I'm guessing some water or grit has somehow got inside,
but I can't find any way of getting at the innards to lube them. The
alignment's still right, the roller and tyre are OK. The instruction
booklet that came with it doesn't help at all. Anyone know whether you
can do anything to lube/maintain these things, or is it dead?

.... Or is it just sulking because I've snubbed it for my flashy new
battery light...

Thanks

Andy

On 29/12/2007 13:11, Andy Key said,
> So there I was, out for a late-afternoon ride with my (excellent) new
> Cateye Single Shot Plus blazing away. Hmm, I thought, I wonder how it
> compares to the dynamo light? So I flicked on my faithful old B&M
> Dymotec 6. A hideous screaming noise followed, and a feeling as if
> someone had just slammed on the front brake for me. The resistance has
> suddenly increased hugely on the dynamo, to the point where it barely
> works at all. I'm guessing some water or grit has somehow got inside,
> but I can't find any way of getting at the innards to lube them. The
> alignment's still right, the roller and tyre are OK. The instruction
> booklet that came with it doesn't help at all. Anyone know whether you
> can do anything to lube/maintain these things, or is it dead?

Have you checked for any shorts in the wiring? It sounds like you're
driving a direct short when you turn the lights on, hence the massive
drag. Not sure about the squealing though!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd wrote:

> Have you checked for any shorts in the wiring? It sounds like you're
> driving a direct short when you turn the lights on, hence the massive
> drag. Not sure about the squealing though!

Yup - even with everything disconnected it's still tough to turn. Thanks
for the suggestion though.

However... I have just managed to break the dynamo while trying to
dismantle it (whoops), so it looks like it's time to go shopping for a
new one anyway.

Andy

Andy Key wrote:
> So there I was, out for a late-afternoon ride with my (excellent) new
> Cateye Single Shot Plus blazing away. Hmm, I thought, I wonder how it
> compares to the dynamo light? So I flicked on my faithful old B&M
> Dymotec 6. A hideous screaming noise followed, and a feeling as if
> someone had just slammed on the front brake for me. The resistance has
> suddenly increased hugely on the dynamo, to the point where it barely
> works at all. I'm guessing some water or grit has somehow got inside,
> but I can't find any way of getting at the innards to lube them. The
> alignment's still right, the roller and tyre are OK. The instruction
> booklet that came with it doesn't help at all. Anyone know whether you
> can do anything to lube/maintain these things, or is it dead?
>
> ... Or is it just sulking because I've snubbed it for my flashy new
> battery light...

I used to use one and I had a number of problems with it; it used to
turn itself on in daytime when I hit a bump, it slipped appallingly in
the wet and it sounded like a coffee grinder, although it worked OK.
I'm quite glad I have a dynamo hub now.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> I used to use one and I had a number of problems with it; it used to
> turn itself on in daytime when I hit a bump, it slipped appallingly in
> the wet and it sounded like a coffee grinder, although it worked OK. I'm
> quite glad I have a dynamo hub now.

I've got to say that mine never slipped at all once I cranked the
pressure up to maximum, never turned on accidentally, and just produced
a gentle whirr so long as I got the alignment EXACTLY right. Until it
broke, that is.

S6 model now ordered from Germany (where the price in Euros is the same
as the price in Sterling in the UK). We shall see how that lasts...

Andy Key wrote:
> Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>

>> I used to use one and I had a number of problems with it; it used to
>> turn itself on in daytime when I hit a bump, it slipped appallingly in
>> the wet and it sounded like a coffee grinder, although it worked OK.
>> I'm quite glad I have a dynamo hub now.

> I've got to say that mine never slipped at all once I cranked the
> pressure up to maximum, never turned on accidentally, and just produced
> a gentle whirr so long as I got the alignment EXACTLY right. Until it
> broke, that is.
>
> S6 model now ordered from Germany (where the price in Euros is the same
> as the price in Sterling in the UK). We shall see how that lasts...

For the price of the S6, why not a SON? OK, you have to add the cost of
spokes, and a wheelbuild if you don't DIY, but there's negligible
light-off drag, it will never slip or eat tyres, and it's likely to last
far longer.