Dyno with USB outlet?

"Colin Reed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In
>> David Lloyd <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
>> us:

>>> Does this fit the bill?
>>>
>>> http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/03/pedal_power.php
>>>

>> And allegedly available from Bikefix.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Larrington
>> <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
>> und keine Eie.
>>

> Allegedly, although I couldn't find it on the site. You can get it at
> EcoGadgets though.
> http://shop.ecogadgets.com/index.php?cat=Pedal_and_Power I've not tried
> this shop so can't speak about its reliability and service. Less than £25
> seems pretty good for this, and I might give one a go myself.
>
> Colin

I have ordered one of these but as ecogadgets have aparently no stock I got
it from
http://www2.cat.org.uk/shopping/pro...d=873&osCsid=0ce5431eb44e24f241397fcf075246db
but they too now appear to be out of stock (Imust have got the last one).

I do intend to go out for a ride with a multimeter attached just to see what
readings I get.

Having done a bit of research there are plenty of projects out there that
should do the job. MintyBoost being the most common but I also found a site
that uses the mintyboost but replaces the 2 AA batteries with bike dynamo
and a few components that allow you to cycle and keep the minty boost
powered for short periods whilst stationary by using a large capacitor.

Dave

On 21 Feb, 08:27, Duncan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has seen or used a bike dyno that would
> trickle charge a smart-phone/pocket-pc via the standard mini USB
> cable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Duncan

Following the original post, I came across a big exhibition press
release from early 2007 announcing that Motorola was developing a
bike charger system for mobile phones in developing countries.

http://blogs.reuters.com/blog/2007/02/15/green-power-and-mobile-phones
<<<
Green power and mobile phones
February 15th, 2007, filed by Lucas van Grinsven

Efforts by the mobile industry to save the planet do not end with
support for biodiesel and windmills.

Here's Motorola's new idea in mobile phone charging: a bicycle dynamo.
OK, it's not so new. Bike power is about as old as Motorola itself
(1928).

Yet Motorola thinks this could do well in emerging economies where a
mobile phone is the only electronic device in some households. There
must be a pretty big market in the Netherlands and Denmark, too, but
Motorola should figure out a way to easily detach the holder or
inadvertently create a market in stolen chargers. Watch video

I contacted Motorola to ask if it had come to market yet. Their
response was :

<<<
Thank you for contacting Motorola.

We do not have any information about this product being available in
the near future. We would like to advise you to keep checking our web
site for new products updates

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Kind regards,

Motorola Mobile Devices Contact Centre (UK)

Seems that the original idea may have been greenwash - or perhaps
their boffins couldn't manage it after all !