E-bay madness

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Joel Crum, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    Zounds!

    My 2003 Trek 4100 ridden at least 500 miles just sold for
    177.50 on e-bay. And that doesn't count shipping. I
    mentioned all of this in the ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBa-
    yISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3664187071

    My buyer has e-mailed me back and says, "I can't believe I
    got the bike for so cheap is there anything I should know
    about it." Uh, yeah, me either. I'd better go to bat for
    this guy on shipping I want him to save *some* money over
    the store.

    Anybody knowledgeable about that sort of thing?

    --
    - Joel C.

    Tags:

  2. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Joel Crum wrote:
    > Zounds!
    >
    > My 2003 Trek 4100 ridden at least 500 miles just sold for
    > 177.50 on e-bay. And that doesn't count shipping. I
    > mentioned all of this in the ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e-
    > BayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3664187071
    >
    > My buyer has e-mailed me back and says, "I can't believe I
    > got the bike for so cheap is there anything I should know
    > about it." Uh, yeah, me either. I'd better go to bat for
    > this guy on shipping I want him to save *some* money over
    > the store.
    >
    > Anybody knowledgeable about that sort of thing?

    eBay seems to be hit or miss for bikes. I've had better luck
    selling on MTBR.com. That being said, I still look to buy
    (if so inclined) on eBay for overlooked deals like yours!

    I bet yours sold so low because it's just not a really in-
    demand bike. It would be fine for a relative newbie, and a
    lot better than a department store bike. The problem is,
    those newbies don't know the difference and see they can get
    a new bike for $200 (with full suspension) so why get yours?

    Matt

  3. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    86156.news.uni-berlin.de:

    Hi Matt,

    > That being said, I still look to buy (if so inclined) on
    > eBay for overlooked deals like yours!

    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I was actually
    thinking my bike sold for more then it should have. My LBS
    is unloading it's 2003 Trek 4100s for about $225, and
    they've never been ridden. After shipping I'm worried the
    guy I'm selling to won't be any better off then buying new.

    --
    - Joel C.

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Joel Crum wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > 86156.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > Hi Matt,
    >
    >> That being said, I still look to buy (if so inclined) on
    >> eBay for overlooked deals like yours!
    >
    > Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I was actually
    > thinking my bike sold for more then it should have. My
    > LBS is unloading it's 2003 Trek 4100s for about $225,
    > and they've never been ridden. After shipping I'm
    > worried the guy I'm selling to won't be any better off
    > then buying new.

    Well, I did no research at all, so I was guestimating it was
    like a $4-500 bike. Sounds like I was wrong.

    I guess you suckered someone into buying your worthless
    crap! Good for you! ;-)

    Matt

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Joel Crum wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > 86156.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > Hi Matt,
    >

    >>That being said, I still look to buy (if so inclined) on
    >>eBay for overlooked deals like yours!
    >

    > Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I was actually
    > thinking my bike sold for more then it should have. My
    > LBS is unloading it's 2003 Trek 4100s for about $225,
    > and they've never been ridden. After shipping I'm
    > worried the guy I'm selling to won't be any better off
    > then buying new.

    Well, at the moment he may not be able to find any better
    deals and your bike is really clean. It may be a good deal
    for both of you. I'd cut some slack on shipping for him if
    you got more than you expected.

    Greg

  6. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Well, I did no research at all, so I was guestimating it
    > was like a $4-500 bike. Sounds like I was wrong.

    It was when it was new and a current model year.

    > I guess you suckered someone into buying your worthless
    > crap! Good for you! ;-)

    I didn't mean to; I assumed it would sell for around 100
    after I posted it a second time!

    --
    - Joel C.

  7. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    Joel Crum wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de:
    >
    >> Well, I did no research at all, so I was guestimating it
    >> was like a $4-500 bike. Sounds like I was wrong.
    >
    > It was when it was new and a current model year.
    >
    >> I guess you suckered someone into buying your worthless
    >> crap! Good for you! ;-)
    >
    > I didn't mean to; I assumed it would sell for around 100
    > after I posted it a second time!

    Just giving you a hard time! My opinion on eBay is that if
    someone is going to bid an item beyond the reasonable going
    rate, it's their loss. The information is out there. All
    they have to do is look around for what similar items are
    going for before they get all caught up in the moment. I've
    sold stuff on eBay for more than I believe it's worth and I
    don't feel bad about it. It wasn't misrepresented so there
    was nothing dishonest going on. Just something stupid!

    Matt

  8. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Well, at the moment he may not be able to find any better
    > deals and your bike is really clean. It may be a good deal
    > for both of you. I'd cut some slack on shipping for him if
    > you got more than you expected.

    I hope that's the case. It is a good bike. I road it 8 miles
    ( http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/Ne-
    wMexico/,Dona,Ana/ PRD_169147_4565crx.aspx ) just Saturday.

    The bike *will* be spotless when it gets to him. BTW I think
    I've found a neat trick for that. I used foaming tub and
    tile cleaner on it the other day and boy did that ever get
    off the grit! Windex is good at cleaning oil biased dirt but
    it'll leave mineral based junk behind, the tile cleaner
    removes that.

    --
    - Joel C.

  9. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Joel Crum wrote:

    > The bike *will* be spotless when it gets to him. BTW I
    > think I've found a neat trick for that. I used foaming tub
    > and tile cleaner on it the other day and boy did that ever
    > get off the grit! Windex is good at cleaning oil biased
    > dirt but it'll leave mineral based junk behind, the tile
    > cleaner removes that.

    Windex, sure. Tile cleaner sounds kinda harsh though,
    especially for Aluminum parts (on a bike you're not selling
    on e-bay :) ) Look to see if it has sodium hydroxide in it.
    Its drain cleaner. Good job on the sale BTW.

    Cheers, Shawn

  10. B A R R Y

    B A R R Y Guest

    On 8 Mar 2004 21:05:48 GMT, Joel Crum <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    >berlin.de:
    >
    >> Well, I did no research at all, so I was guestimating it
    >> was like a $4-500 bike. Sounds like I was wrong.
    >
    >It was when it was new and a current model year.

    A Trek 4100 at $4-500? <G>

    Our LBS was selling them new for $279 or so. The 4100
    replaced the 820 as Treks lowest price mountain bike with
    front suspension.

    Barry

  11. Prentice

    Prentice Guest

    > Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I was actually
    > thinking my bike
    sold
    > for more then it should have. My LBS is unloading it's
    > 2003 Trek 4100s
    for
    > about $225, and they've never been ridden. After shipping
    > I'm worried the guy I'm selling to won't be any better off
    > then buying new.
    >
    > --
    > - Joel C.

    Just goes to show you....."There's an ass for every seat".

  12. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    B a r r y <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On 8 Mar 2004 21:05:48 GMT, Joel Crum <[email protected]
    > deja.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    >>berlin.de:
    >>
    >>> Well, I did no research at all, so I was guestimating it
    >>> was like a $4-500 bike. Sounds like I was wrong.
    >>
    >>It was when it was new and a current model year.
    >
    > A Trek 4100 at $4-500? <G>
    >
    > Our LBS was selling them new for $279 or so. The 4100
    > replaced the 820 as Treks lowest price mountain bike with
    > front suspension.

    It lists for 399 and I think the new 2004's sell for
    something close to (but below) that. But, yeah, the LBS is
    selling their 2003's for $225. When I told the owner what
    mine had sold at he looked a bit jealous.

    --
    - Joel C.

  13. Joel Crum

    Joel Crum Guest

    Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]_s53:

    > Joel Crum wrote:
    >

    >> The bike *will* be spotless when it gets to him. BTW I
    >> think I've found a neat trick for that. I used foaming
    >> tub and tile cleaner on it the other day and boy did that
    >> ever get off the grit! Windex is good at cleaning oil
    >> biased dirt but it'll leave mineral based junk behind,
    >> the tile cleaner removes that.
    >>
    > Windex, sure. Tile cleaner sounds kinda harsh though,
    > especially for Aluminum parts (on a bike you're not
    > selling on e-bay :) ) Look to see if it has sodium
    > hydroxide in it. Its drain cleaner. Good job on the
    > sale BTW.

    I doesn't say it contains sodium hydroxide. Whatever
    cleaner it does have is strong enough to polish the metal
    though, so I suppose that means it might also pit if I left
    the cleaner on a long time or used it too frequently. But I
    wouldn't clean the bike that way more then once every
    couple of months.

    --
    - Joel C.