E-Bay Recumbent Non-Seller Alert

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Wolverbob, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Wolverbob

    Wolverbob Guest

    Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone number
    480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike. Last week, I was the successful E-Bay bidder
    for a Ryan Vanguard from this person. When I sent him an e-mail asking about shipping costs, he
    said that even though I had won the auction, he had found a higher "local" bidder but would
    still sell me the bike if the "deal did not go through".

    Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already, though E-Bay, to buy the bike.
    It seems like Greg cares more about a few more dollars than keeping his word.

    And yes, this situation has been turned in to E-Bay and I promptly gave Greg a bad auction
    rating on E-Bay.

    Bob Krzewinski

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Wolverbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone number
    > 480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike.

    > Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already, though E-Bay, to buy the bike.
    > It seems like Greg cares more about a few more
    dollars
    > than keeping his word.

    Luckily, Greg is the exception, not the rule on eBay. As eBay grows, the chances that they'll
    actually have the manpower to deal with complaints of this type will diminish. Thankfully, out of
    the 110+ transactions I've completed on eBay, only a couple have involved buyers or sellers who
    weren't honorable. Most have been prompt, honest and courteous traders. Some have gone over and
    above my expectations, which gives me hope.

    -Barry

  3. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    Just used eBay to sell my wife's first bent, an EZ Sport Limited. Sold it in 3 days, via "Buy it
    Now", for $800. I've had no bad eBay experiences, but I have freinds who have. The transactions are
    based on a leap of faith, unless you're close enough to to the deal in person. Luckily, it works 99%
    of the time.

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Wolverbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone
    number
    > > 480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike.
    >
    > > Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already,
    though
    > > E-Bay, to buy the bike. It seems like Greg cares more about a few more
    > dollars
    > > than keeping his word.
    >
    > Luckily, Greg is the exception, not the rule on eBay. As eBay grows, the chances that they'll
    > actually have the manpower to deal with complaints of this type will diminish. Thankfully, out of
    > the 110+ transactions I've completed on eBay, only a couple have involved buyers or sellers who
    weren't
    > honorable. Most have been prompt, honest and courteous traders. Some have gone over and above my
    > expectations, which gives me hope.
    >
    > -Barry

  4. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "Wolverbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone number
    > 480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike. Last week, I was the successful E-Bay bidder
    > for a Ryan Vanguard from this person. When I sent
    him
    > an e-mail asking about shipping costs, he said that even though I had won
    the
    > auction, he had found a higher "local" bidder but would still sell me the
    bike
    > if the "deal did not go through".
    >
    > Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already, though E-Bay, to buy the bike.
    > It seems like Greg cares more about a few more
    dollars
    > than keeping his word.
    >
    > And yes, this situation has been turned in to E-Bay and I promptly gave
    Greg a
    > bad auction rating on E-Bay.

    I've bought a few vintage bikes on eBay and have had good experiences except for one guy who packed
    the bike in the morning newspaper. I always specify LBS packing unless the seller is able to
    convince me he really he knows how to properly pack a bike for shipping.

    I'm guessing that "Greg" was an eBay newbie with little feed back. Maybe this auction was just a one
    shot deal just to sell the Ryan. These situations can be trouble.

    You did about all you could do, but at least you didn't lose money on the deal. I've seen some
    nice Ryans' on eBay lately so keep looking. There is an auto search function where they will
    email you if a Ryan comes up for auction again. Use the protection of the escrow service for high
    dollar purchases so nobody gets burned. All arrangements need to be agreed to before the close of
    the auction.

    skip