E-Bay Recumbent Non-Seller Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wolverbob

Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone number
480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike. Last week, I was the successful E-Bay bidder
for a Ryan Vanguard from this person. When I sent him an e-mail asking about shipping costs, he
said that even though I had won the auction, he had found a higher "local" bidder but would
still sell me the bike if the "deal did not go through".

Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already, though E-Bay, to buy the bike.
It seems like Greg cares more about a few more dollars than keeping his word.

And yes, this situation has been turned in to E-Bay and I promptly gave Greg a bad auction
rating on E-Bay.

Bob Krzewinski

"Wolverbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone number
> 480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike.

> Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already, though E-Bay, to buy the bike.
> It seems like Greg cares more about a few more
dollars
> than keeping his word.

Luckily, Greg is the exception, not the rule on eBay. As eBay grows, the chances that they'll
actually have the manpower to deal with complaints of this type will diminish. Thankfully, out of
the 110+ transactions I've completed on eBay, only a couple have involved buyers or sellers who
weren't honorable. Most have been prompt, honest and courteous traders. Some have gone over and
above my expectations, which gives me hope.

-Barry

Just used eBay to sell my wife's first bent, an EZ Sport Limited. Sold it in 3 days, via "Buy it
Now", for $800. I've had no bad eBay experiences, but I have freinds who have. The transactions are
based on a leap of faith, unless you're close enough to to the deal in person. Luckily, it works 99%
of the time.

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:N8WEa.887720$OV.831060@rwcrnsc54...
> "Wolverbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone
number
> > 480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike.
>
> > Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already,
though
> > E-Bay, to buy the bike. It seems like Greg cares more about a few more
> dollars
> > than keeping his word.
>
> Luckily, Greg is the exception, not the rule on eBay. As eBay grows, the chances that they'll
> actually have the manpower to deal with complaints of this type will diminish. Thankfully, out of
> the 110+ transactions I've completed on eBay, only a couple have involved buyers or sellers who
weren't
> honorable. Most have been prompt, honest and courteous traders. Some have gone over and above my
> expectations, which gives me hope.
>
> -Barry

"Wolverbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Watch out for "Greg", e-mail address:[email protected], telephone number
> 480/921-9106 (Phoenix area) selling any kind of bike. Last week, I was the successful E-Bay bidder
> for a Ryan Vanguard from this person. When I sent
him
> an e-mail asking about shipping costs, he said that even though I had won
the
> auction, he had found a higher "local" bidder but would still sell me the
bike
> if the "deal did not go through".
>
> Greg did not seem to care that I had an agreement with him already, though E-Bay, to buy the bike.
> It seems like Greg cares more about a few more
dollars
> than keeping his word.
>
> And yes, this situation has been turned in to E-Bay and I promptly gave
Greg a
> bad auction rating on E-Bay.
>
I've bought a few vintage bikes on eBay and have had good experiences except for one guy who packed
the bike in the morning newspaper. I always specify LBS packing unless the seller is able to
convince me he really he knows how to properly pack a bike for shipping.

I'm guessing that "Greg" was an eBay newbie with little feed back. Maybe this auction was just a one
shot deal just to sell the Ryan. These situations can be trouble.

You did about all you could do, but at least you didn't lose money on the deal. I've seen some
nice Ryans' on eBay lately so keep looking. There is an auto search function where they will
email you if a Ryan comes up for auction again. Use the protection of the escrow service for high
dollar purchases so nobody gets burned. All arrangements need to be agreed to before the close of
the auction.

skip

Status
Not open for further replies.