e-bike

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

Guest
I know - I'm a heretic!!
I just bought a Schwinn labelled Currie I-Zip bike from Canadian Tire.
The first one had some minor damage from being a "floor model", was
way out of adjustment (brakes and gears) and after about 8 miles the
throttle went open circuit, killing the system.

I returned it and bought one "in the box" and assembled it myself,
installing a set of fenders at the same time. I also put on a slightly
modified "disk brake" carrier rack on the back.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
Anyone know where I can buy a rear wheel (or even just the hub and
sprockets) for a project bike?
Also, anyone know what batteries are inside the slide-out case? I'll
likely get around to opening it up before long to satisfy my
curiosity. I'm also hoping to install a set of Genesis EPs on the rack
for extended range (and thinking 36 volts for better performance while
I'm at it)

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada said:
[...]

Batteries are sealed lead acid 12 volt 12 amp hour. (Times 2)I had the battery dimensions here somwhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right now.
Batteries are readilly available, not so for your rear wheel or the hub with which it is encumbered. That is a left hand thread freewheel on the left side. Not very common, so I would keep that hub well maintained.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca

On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:56:41 +1000, Dan Burkhart
<[email protected]> wrote:

>clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada Wrote:
>> I know - I'm a heretic!!
>> I just bought a Schwinn labelled Currie I-Zip bike from Canadian Tire.
>> The first one had some minor damage from being a "floor model", was
>> way out of adjustment (brakes and gears) and after about 8 miles the
>> throttle went open circuit, killing the system.
>>
>> I returned it and bought one "in the box" and assembled it myself,
>> installing a set of fenders at the same time. I also put on a slightly
>> modified "disk brake" carrier rack on the back.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
>> Anyone know where I can buy a rear wheel (or even just the hub and
>> sprockets) for a project bike?
>> Also, anyone know what batteries are inside the slide-out case? I'll
>> likely get around to opening it up before long to satisfy my
>> curiosity. I'm also hoping to install a set of Genesis EPs on the rack
>> for extended range (and thinking 36 volts for better performance while
>> I'm at it)

>Batteries are sealed lead acid 12 volt 12 amp hour. (Times 2)I had the
>battery dimensions here somwhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right
>now.
>Batteries are readilly available, not so for your rear wheel or the
>hub with which it is encumbered. That is a left hand thread freewheel on
>the left side. Not very common, so I would keep that hub well
>maintained.
>Dan Burkhart
>www.boomerbicycle.ca

I intend to!! I have a geared motor I'd like to install on another
bike, and the left hand freewheel would be just the ticket, which is
why I'd be looking for one.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada Wrote:
>> I know - I'm a heretic!!
>> I just bought a Schwinn labelled Currie I-Zip bike from Canadian Tire.
>> The first one had some minor damage from being a "floor model", was
>> way out of adjustment (brakes and gears) and after about 8 miles the
>> throttle went open circuit, killing the system.
>>
>> I returned it and bought one "in the box" and assembled it myself,
>> installing a set of fenders at the same time. I also put on a slightly
>> modified "disk brake" carrier rack on the back.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
>> Anyone know where I can buy a rear wheel (or even just the hub and
>> sprockets) for a project bike?
>> Also, anyone know what batteries are inside the slide-out case? I'll
>> likely get around to opening it up before long to satisfy my
>> curiosity. I'm also hoping to install a set of Genesis EPs on the rack
>> for extended range (and thinking 36 volts for better performance while
>> I'm at it)

>Batteries are sealed lead acid 12 volt 12 amp hour. (Times 2)I had the
>battery dimensions here somwhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right
>now.

>www.boomerbicycle.ca

Sounds like a UB12120
Length 5.94
Width 3.86
Height 3.86

You can get electric bike parts individually, i recommend only lithium batteries, and if you want to go one better, you can buy Panasonic lithium batteries for electric bikes now too.