1. I know - I'm a heretic!!
    I just bought a Schwinn labelled Currie I-Zip bike from Canadian Tire.
    The first one had some minor damage from being a "floor model", was
    way out of adjustment (brakes and gears) and after about 8 miles the
    throttle went open circuit, killing the system.

    I returned it and bought one "in the box" and assembled it myself,
    installing a set of fenders at the same time. I also put on a slightly
    modified "disk brake" carrier rack on the back.

    Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
    Anyone know where I can buy a rear wheel (or even just the hub and
    sprockets) for a project bike?
    Also, anyone know what batteries are inside the slide-out case? I'll
    likely get around to opening it up before long to satisfy my
    curiosity. I'm also hoping to install a set of Genesis EPs on the rack
    for extended range (and thinking 36 volts for better performance while
    I'm at it)

  2. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    Batteries are sealed lead acid 12 volt 12 amp hour. (Times 2)I had the battery dimensions here somwhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right now.
    Batteries are readilly available, not so for your rear wheel or the hub with which it is encumbered. That is a left hand thread freewheel on the left side. Not very common, so I would keep that hub well maintained.
    Dan Burkhart
    www.boomerbicycle.ca

  3. On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:56:41 +1000, Dan Burkhart
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada Wrote:
    >> I know - I'm a heretic!!
    >> I just bought a Schwinn labelled Currie I-Zip bike from Canadian Tire.
    >> The first one had some minor damage from being a "floor model", was
    >> way out of adjustment (brakes and gears) and after about 8 miles the
    >> throttle went open circuit, killing the system.
    >>
    >> I returned it and bought one "in the box" and assembled it myself,
    >> installing a set of fenders at the same time. I also put on a slightly
    >> modified "disk brake" carrier rack on the back.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
    >> Anyone know where I can buy a rear wheel (or even just the hub and
    >> sprockets) for a project bike?
    >> Also, anyone know what batteries are inside the slide-out case? I'll
    >> likely get around to opening it up before long to satisfy my
    >> curiosity. I'm also hoping to install a set of Genesis EPs on the rack
    >> for extended range (and thinking 36 volts for better performance while
    >> I'm at it)

    >Batteries are sealed lead acid 12 volt 12 amp hour. (Times 2)I had the
    >battery dimensions here somwhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right
    >now.
    >Batteries are readilly available, not so for your rear wheel or the
    >hub with which it is encumbered. That is a left hand thread freewheel on
    >the left side. Not very common, so I would keep that hub well
    >maintained.
    >Dan Burkhart
    >www.boomerbicycle.ca

    I intend to!! I have a geared motor I'd like to install on another
    bike, and the left hand freewheel would be just the ticket, which is
    why I'd be looking for one.

  4. On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:56:41 +1000, Dan Burkhart
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada Wrote:
    >> I know - I'm a heretic!!
    >> I just bought a Schwinn labelled Currie I-Zip bike from Canadian Tire.
    >> The first one had some minor damage from being a "floor model", was
    >> way out of adjustment (brakes and gears) and after about 8 miles the
    >> throttle went open circuit, killing the system.
    >>
    >> I returned it and bought one "in the box" and assembled it myself,
    >> installing a set of fenders at the same time. I also put on a slightly
    >> modified "disk brake" carrier rack on the back.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
    >> Anyone know where I can buy a rear wheel (or even just the hub and
    >> sprockets) for a project bike?
    >> Also, anyone know what batteries are inside the slide-out case? I'll
    >> likely get around to opening it up before long to satisfy my
    >> curiosity. I'm also hoping to install a set of Genesis EPs on the rack
    >> for extended range (and thinking 36 volts for better performance while
    >> I'm at it)

    >Batteries are sealed lead acid 12 volt 12 amp hour. (Times 2)I had the
    >battery dimensions here somwhere, but I can't lay my hands on it right
    >now.

    >www.boomerbicycle.ca

    Sounds like a UB12120
    Length 5.94
    Width 3.86
    Height 3.86

  5. ChrisRider

    ChrisRider New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    You can get electric bike parts individually, i recommend only lithium batteries, and if you want to go one better, you can buy Panasonic lithium batteries for electric bikes now too.