E2E ... a first thought ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    OK, I'm a few Monday beers down, and I mentioned that I want
    to do the End to End.

    I suggested that I would come on here, and see whether any
    others would be willing to do this too - on a tight budget.

    I'm looking at getting a couple of weeks off after the TdF,
    and carrying my equipment (tent etc). I will be looking to
    ride for the Kingston Cancer unit (not built yet), although
    would love some company. Though each would ride for their
    own reasons.

    I will set up a website etc but just want to get to any idea
    of anyone else who wants to "just do it".

    We could get a whole load of us, and between us we could
    make a real event of it. If not, I'll do it myself. (Anyone
    able to put me up in their back garden?)

    We could do what the UKRM (uk.rec.motorcycling) do, and set
    together a ride and a half.

    Just an idea, but if I don't do it this year, I'll struggle
    to get the enthusiasm to do it again.

    Nick Boyle

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    elyob wrote:
    > OK, I'm a few Monday beers down, and I mentioned that I
    > want to do the End to End.
    >
    > I suggested that I would come on here, and see whether
    > any others would be willing to do this too - on a
    > tight budget.
    >
    > I'm looking at getting a couple of weeks off after the
    > TdF, and carrying my equipment (tent etc). I will be
    > looking to ride for the Kingston Cancer unit (not built
    > yet), although would love some company. Though each would
    > ride for their own reasons.
    >
    > I will set up a website etc but just want to get to any
    > idea of anyone else who wants to "just do it".
    >
    > We could get a whole load of us, and between us we could
    > make a real event of it. If not, I'll do it myself.
    > (Anyone able to put me up in their back garden?)
    >
    > We could do what the UKRM (uk.rec.motorcycling) do, and
    > set together a ride and a half.
    >
    > Just an idea, but if I don't do it this year, I'll
    > struggle to get the enthusiasm to do it again.
    >
    > Nick Boyle

    I am doing E2E this year, starting the same day as Le
    Tour. Doing it in 2 weeks for some Cancer Charity and
    RNLI, hostels and B&B. My back garden is available to
    you in Leeds.

    If anyone else wants to help me with my trip please get in
    touch, offers of accommodation will be especially welcome.

    --
    Reply To is checked rarely
    http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  3. "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > OK, I'm a few Monday beers down, and I mentioned that I
    > want to do the End to End.
    >
    > I suggested that I would come on here, and see whether
    > any others would be willing to do this too - on a
    > tight budget.
    >
    > I'm looking at getting a couple of weeks off after the
    > TdF, and carrying
    my
    > equipment (tent etc). I will be looking to ride for the
    > Kingston Cancer unit (not built yet), although would love
    > some company. Though each would ride for their own
    > reasons.
    >
    > I will set up a website etc but just want to get to any
    > idea of anyone
    else
    > who wants to "just do it".

    Hmm - I've _always_ wanted to do the E2E, but finding the
    time has always been impossible. It could be nice to do in
    company although I'd be more looking to stay in hostels
    rather than carrying a tent! I wouldn't do it for charity -
    too much hassle and I don't have a wide enough circle of
    friends and relatives to touch!

    Still, I'll think about this - post the updates!

    Rich

  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    I'm going to be doing it this year, with a friend of mine.

    Due to various reasons, we'll be doing it during September.
    Middle of the month, probably

    Exact details to be discussed (tonight, actually), but B & B
    / hostels, I think.

    I'm even allowed to buy a new bike for the attempt!

    Not sure how that fits in with other people's plans...

    Mark

  5. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:28:42 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    I'm planning to make the attempt again during the last two
    weeks of July and first week of August - three weeks
    camping, no hostels or other form of cheating.

    The biggest problem I had last time (if you don't include
    getting the shits) was dew on the tent. In the humid
    heatwave last year getting the tent dry each morning
    before packing away took ages and often I couldn't get
    going until 11am.

    The other mistake I made was spending too much time on main
    roads and away from the hills. The best bits were the hills,
    Exmoor and the hills on the Welsh Border. My plan this time
    is to take in Bodmin Moor, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Black
    Mountains, Radnor Forest then across to the Peak District,
    Wadsworth Moor, The Dales, N. Yorks Moors, Kielder Forest,
    Cheviots, Campsie Fells and then up and over the Eastern
    Highlands - trying to keep out of the Midge Zone.

  6. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

  7. On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:46:41 +0000, in
    <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:28:42 GMT, "elyob"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >I'm planning to make the attempt again during the last two
    >weeks of July and first week of August - three weeks
    >camping, no hostels or other form of cheating.

    Oh I'll be cheating. Camping. YHAing, B&Bing, Bus-
    Sheltering, and once a week I'm checking in to a decent
    hotel. I'm going to take approx 5-6 weeks for it for two
    reasons: 1) So I can visit many places which are not
    necessarily on the direct route. 2) 'Cos it's gotta be
    easier than busting a gut to do it in 3 weeks!

    >The biggest problem I had last time (if you don't include
    >getting the shits) was dew on the tent. In the humid
    >heatwave last year getting the tent dry each morning
    >before packing away took ages and often I couldn't get
    >going until 11am.

    If you are unpacking your tent again the same or following
    day then does it matter?

    Love and guy-lines from Rich x

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything

  8. In news:[email protected],
    Richard Bates <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:46:41 +0000, in
    > <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> The biggest problem I had last time (if you don't include
    >> getting the shits) was dew on the tent. In the humid
    >> heatwave last year getting the tent dry each morning
    >> before packing away took ages and often I couldn't get
    >> going until 11am.
    >
    > If you are unpacking your tent again the same or following
    > day then does it matter?

    My question exactly.

  9. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:20:22 -0000, "MSeries" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> other form of cheating.
    >>
    >So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)

    Hmmm... That remark of mine was a bit trollish, wasn't it. I
    knew it would bait one or two people.

  10. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:07:10 +0000, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you are unpacking your tent again the same or following
    >day then does it matter?

    Not if it's once in a while - but it ain't going to do any
    favours to a £300 lightweight tent to pack it damp every day
    for 2 or three weeks.

  11. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Gonzalez <[email protected]> writes
    >On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:07:10 +0000, Richard Bates
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>If you are unpacking your tent again the same or following
    >>day then does it matter?
    >
    >Not if it's once in a while - but it ain't going to do any
    >favours to a £300 lightweight tent to pack it damp every
    >day for 2 or three weeks.

    I really don't think it's going to matter at all to modern
    tent with nylon flysheet etc., esp. as it will be pitched
    again later that day. Certainly my Spacepacker ( has never
    complained about that sort of treatment. - cotton is a bit
    different of course. If you can be arsed you can use a small
    sponge to remove some of the dew.

    If you really are bothered, then stop a bit later on and
    spread it out on the verge, over a picnic table, the bike
    etc., it will soon dry out while you have a cuppa or
    whatever. Even if you spend a bit longer on the break (2
    cuppas and an extra tea cake....) you gain the benefit of
    starting off much earlier.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  12. "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]>typed

    > In news:[email protected],
    > Richard Bates
    > <[email protected]> typed:
    > > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:46:41 +0000, in
    > > <[email protected]>, Gonzalez
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> The biggest problem I had last time (if you don't
    > >> include getting the shits) was dew on the tent. In the
    > >> humid heatwave last year getting the tent dry each
    > >> morning before packing away took ages and often I
    > >> couldn't get going until 11am.
    > >
    > > If you are unpacking your tent again the same or
    > > following day then does it matter?
    > >
    > My question exactly.

    I have packed up really wet tents without harm. Separate
    inner from outer, pack separately, keep inner tent dry and
    pitch ASAP on reaching next campsite. The important point is
    to clean and dry all the gear before long-term storage.

  13. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Gonzalez wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:07:10 +0000, Richard Bates
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >If you are unpacking your tent again the same or
    > >following day then does it matter?
    >
    > Not if it's once in a while - but it ain't going to do any
    > favours to a £300 lightweight tent to pack it damp every
    > day for 2 or three weeks.

    My Spacepacker and my 6-person Galaxy have undergone such
    treatment with no problems whatsoever for many years.

    It is always best to keep the inner dry - easy if you have
    an outer first pitching tent - and to give the outer a bit
    of a shake. The inner can then be packed away seperately,
    perhaps in a pannier while the outer is best kept away from
    anything dry. I keep the outer on top of the rear rack.

    Main drawback of a wet tent on an extended trip is the extra
    weight of the water :-(

    John B

  14. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:46:08 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gonzalez wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:07:10 +0000, Richard Bates
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >If you are unpacking your tent again the same or
    >> >following day then does it matter?
    >>
    >> Not if it's once in a while - but it ain't going to do
    >> any favours to a £300 lightweight tent to pack it damp
    >> every day for 2 or three weeks.
    >
    >My Spacepacker and my 6-person Galaxy have undergone such
    >treatment with no problems whatsoever for many years.
    >
    >It is always best to keep the inner dry - easy if you have
    >an outer first pitching tent - and to give the outer a bit
    >of a shake. The inner can then be packed away seperately,
    >perhaps in a pannier while the outer is best kept away from
    >anything dry. I keep the outer on top of the rear rack.

    Pannier space is at a premium for me on a long tour. Of
    course I have packed the tent while still damp on many
    occasions, but I still contend that a tent packed damp for
    several days in the trot will soon deteriorate the
    waterproofing, the fabric and the seams. J-cloths are best
    for the removal of excess dew and condensation, but do not
    remove all the moisture; a tent will still take a good
    long time to dry on a warm, humid morning. My tent is an
    extremely lightweight mountain tent, about 2Kg, but of
    good quality:

    http://www.snowandrock.com/products/index.asp?product_sku=M-
    M8HU&category_id=472

    >Main drawback of a wet tent on an extended trip is the
    >extra weight of the water :-(

    Last summer I was often carrying three litres, an extra
    fluid ounce or two would make little difference.

  15. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > In news:[email protected],
    > Richard Bates
    > <[email protected]> typed:
    >
    >>On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:46:41 +0000, in
    >><[email protected]>, Gonzalez
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>>The biggest problem I had last time (if you don't include
    >>>getting the shits) was dew on the tent. In the humid
    >>>heatwave last year getting the tent dry each morning
    >>>before packing away took ages and often I couldn't get
    >>>going until 11am.
    >>
    >>If you are unpacking your tent again the same or following
    >>day then does it matter?
    >>

    > My question exactly.

    When we rode across America, unsupported & self sufficient,
    we didn't worry about packing the tent up whilst it was wet.
    Later that day, once errected it soon dried out.

    --

  16. MSeries wrote:
    > "Gonzalez" wrote:
    >> ........ no hostels or other form of cheating.
    >>
    > So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)

    Or living off the land:

    First catch your pheasant / rabbit / sheep / root
    vegetable...

    :)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  17. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > MSeries wrote:
    >
    >>"Gonzalez" wrote:
    >>
    >>>........ no hostels or other form of cheating.
    >>>

    >>So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)
    >

    > Or living off the land:
    >
    > First catch your pheasant / rabbit / sheep / root
    > vegetable...
    >
    > :)

    So roadkill is out then too !

    --
    Reply To is checked rarely
    http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

  19. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Gonzalez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:20:22 -0000, "MSeries"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> other form of cheating.
    > >>
    > >So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)
    >
    > Hmmm... That remark of mine was a bit trollish, wasn't it.
    > I knew it would bait one or two people.

    I know a few cyclists who think that doing it on anything
    other than a fixed-gear would be cheating.

  20. Sam