E2E ... a first thought ...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 04:14:28 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    >berlin.de>...
    >> "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:28:42 GMT, "elyob"
    >> > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > ........ no hostels or other form of cheating.
    >> >
    >> So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)
    >
    >For water he can just use the dew on the tent.

    And recycle the condensation on the inside - yummy yum...

  2. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Gonzalez wrote:

    > On 10 Mar 2004 04:14:28 -0800, [email protected] (Dave
    > Kahn) wrote:
    >
    > >"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > >berlin.de>...
    > >> "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> message
    > >> news:[email protected]...

    > >> So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)
    > >
    > >For water he can just use the dew on the tent.
    >
    > And recycle the condensation on the inside - yummy yum...

    Which attracts the slugs :)

    And don't forget the protein that will be lurking under the
    groundsheet in the morning. Slurp.

    John B

  3. Vince

    Vince Guest

    MSeries <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > When we rode across America, unsupported & self
    > sufficient...

    "self sufficient"? Is this what is meant by eco-tourism?

    V.

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 12:48:02 -0800, [email protected] (Vince) wrote
    in message <[email protected]>:

    >Norfolk is miles from anywhere and everywhere.

    It's everywhere and nowhere baby That's where it's at Going
    down a bumpy hillside In it's hippy hat...

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/3/04 6:48 am, in article [email protected],
    "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Of course I have packed the tent while still damp on many
    > occasions, but I still contend that a tent packed damp for
    > several days in the trot will soon deteriorate the
    > waterproofing, the fabric and the seams.

    Why should it be any worse than using the tent and leaving
    it up? In fact I can think of a reason or two to NOT dry
    the tent if you are going to be re-pitching it later in the
    day. I cannot see how normal water will damage a tent over
    the course of a day packed into a bag in any significant
    way at all.

    > J-cloths are best for the removal of excess dew and
    > condensation, but do not remove all the moisture; a tent
    > will still take a good long time to dry on a warm, humid
    > morning. My tent is an extremely lightweight mountain
    > tent, about 2Kg, but of good quality:

    And if anyone comes across a wild country Trisar with
    DMAM written in big letters on the fly, please pack it up
    and post it to me. It was stolen from my car about ten
    years ago.

    ..d

  6. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Vince wrote:

    > MSeries <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > berlin.de>...
    >
    >>When we rode across America, unsupported & self
    >>sufficient...
    >

    > "self sufficient"? Is this what is meant by eco-tourism?
    >
    > V.
    by self sufficient in this context I mean we carried a tent.
    !

    --
    Reply To is checked rarely
    http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  7. Vince wrote:

    > MSeries wrote:
    >> When we rode across America, unsupported & self
    >> sufficient...
    >
    > "self sufficient"? Is this what is meant by eco-tourism?

    "The Good Life Roadshow"?

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  8. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:06:37 +0000, David Martin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 10/3/04 6:48 am, in article
    >[email protected], "Gonzalez"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Of course I have packed the tent while still damp on many
    >> occasions, but I still contend that a tent packed damp
    >> for several days in the trot will soon deteriorate the
    >> waterproofing, the fabric and the seams.
    >
    >Why should it be any worse than using the tent and leaving
    >it up? In fact I can think of a reason or two to NOT dry
    >the tent if you are going to be re-pitching it later in the
    >day. I cannot see how normal water will damage a tent over
    >the course of a day packed into a bag in any significant
    >way at all.

    One day would not make any significant difference; indeed, I
    can and do regularly pack my tent wet for the odd day. It's
    packing it damp for many days on the trot which concerns me.

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Gonzalez wrote:

    > One day would not make any significant difference; indeed,
    > I can and do regularly pack my tent wet for the odd day.
    > It's packing it damp for many days on the trot which
    > concerns me.

    I don't really see it's *that* much of a problem, at least
    on a quality tent. Aside from the inner maybe getting a
    little damp from contact in the stuffsack it shouldn't
    affect performance, and most of that is got round by folding
    carefully when under cover (which is no problem if you have
    a sensible tent that pitches fly first or all in one).

    Bad idea to pack it wet for long term storage as any crumbs
    or whatever may mutate horribly, but other than that, what's
    the problem? A good tent with a silicone elastomer coating
    can practically be shaken dry to a significant degree in any
    case, and it won't actually *hold* water in the fabric.

    Methinks you're being a tad over protective of it.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

  10. Alex Ferrier

    Alex Ferrier Guest

    Gonzalez wrote:

    > One day would not make any significant difference; indeed,
    > I can and do regularly pack my tent wet for the odd day.
    > It's packing it damp for many days on the trot which
    > concerns me.

    But it gets aired every day and the water 'changed'. So it's
    not as though any mildew or other nasties are going to get
    any chance to attack the fabric. Simply being wet isn't
    going to do the tent fabric any harm at all if it's a
    quality tent. I've got a North face Tadpole that's done me
    sterling service for ten years which has had many trips
    where it's been treated in just such a manner. In fact I
    left it wet by 'accident' (I forgot about it) in it's stuff
    sack for about three weeks once, it didn't seem to do any
    damage at all. It's still in very good condition.

    --
    Alex BMW R1150GS DIAABTCOD#3 MSWF#4 UKRMFBC#6 Ibw#35 BOB#8
    http://www.team-ukrm.co.uk Windy's "little soldier"

  11. > my 6-person Galaxy

    I didn't know Dawes made 'em that big?

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.619 /
    Virus Database: 398 - Release Date: 10/03/2004

  12. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:19:35 +0000, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Methinks you're being a tad over protective of it.

    OK - so maybe I am being over protective. Still, it's a good
    excuse to have a lie in.

  13. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Gonzalez <[email protected]> writes
    >On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:19:35 +0000, Peter Clinch
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Methinks you're being a tad over protective of it.
    >
    >OK - so maybe I am being over protective. Still, it's a
    >good excuse to have a lie in.

    That's more like it, though I don't find any need for an
    excuse for this. :)

    just a another quick brew.......
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  14. Richard Goodman wrote:
    >I wouldn't do it for charity - too much hassle and I
    >don't have a wide enough circle of friends and relatives
    >to touch!

    That's why local papers were invented!

    d.

  15. chris French wrote:
    >If you can be arsed you can use a small sponge to remove
    >some of the dew.

    Or use a T-shirt borrowed off a nearby washing line (there
    are always at least a few people on campsites who leave
    their washing out overnight - the fools) then put it back on
    the line and scoot before the owner wakes up.

    > If you really are bothered, then stop a bit later on and
    > spread it out on the verge, over a picnic table, the bike
    > etc., it will soon dry out while you have a cuppa or
    > whatever.

    Sounds like excellent advice to me.

    d.

  16. Dave Larrington wrote;
    > "The Good Life Roadshow"?

    Sharing a tent with Felicity Kendall? Mmmmmm...

    d.

  17. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:

    > > my 6-person Galaxy
    >
    > I didn't know Dawes made 'em that big?

    LOL

    John B

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "david kenning" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Sharing a tent with Felicity Kendall? Mmmmmm...

    BTDT.

    Or more correctly, with Felicity Chapman, née Kendall.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  19. Just Zis Guy