E2E ... a first thought ...

On 10 Mar 2004 04:14:28 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
>berlin.de>...
>> "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:28:42 GMT, "elyob"
>> > <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > ........ no hostels or other form of cheating.
>> >
>> So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)
>
>For water he can just use the dew on the tent.

And recycle the condensation on the inside - yummy yum...

Gonzalez wrote:

> On 10 Mar 2004 04:14:28 -0800, [email protected] (Dave
> Kahn) wrote:
>
> >"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> >berlin.de>...
> >> "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> So you'll be carrying ALL food and water too. :)
> >
> >For water he can just use the dew on the tent.
>
> And recycle the condensation on the inside - yummy yum...

Which attracts the slugs :)

And don't forget the protein that will be lurking under the
groundsheet in the morning. Slurp.

John B

On 10 Mar 2004 12:48:02 -0800, [email protected] (Vince) wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>Norfolk is miles from anywhere and everywhere.

It's everywhere and nowhere baby That's where it's at Going
down a bumpy hillside In it's hippy hat...

--
Guy
===

On 10/3/04 6:48 am, in article [email protected],
"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Of course I have packed the tent while still damp on many
> occasions, but I still contend that a tent packed damp for
> several days in the trot will soon deteriorate the
> waterproofing, the fabric and the seams.

Why should it be any worse than using the tent and leaving
it up? In fact I can think of a reason or two to NOT dry
the tent if you are going to be re-pitching it later in the
day. I cannot see how normal water will damage a tent over
the course of a day packed into a bag in any significant
way at all.

> J-cloths are best for the removal of excess dew and
> condensation, but do not remove all the moisture; a tent
> will still take a good long time to dry on a warm, humid
> morning. My tent is an extremely lightweight mountain
> tent, about 2Kg, but of good quality:

And if anyone comes across a wild country Trisar with
DMAM written in big letters on the fly, please pack it up
and post it to me. It was stolen from my car about ten
years ago.

..d

Vince wrote:

> MSeries wrote:
>> When we rode across America, unsupported & self
>> sufficient...
>
> "self sufficient"? Is this what is meant by eco-tourism?

"The Good Life Roadshow"?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:06:37 +0000, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 10/3/04 6:48 am, in article
>[email protected], "Gonzalez"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Of course I have packed the tent while still damp on many
>> occasions, but I still contend that a tent packed damp
>> for several days in the trot will soon deteriorate the
>> waterproofing, the fabric and the seams.
>
>Why should it be any worse than using the tent and leaving
>it up? In fact I can think of a reason or two to NOT dry
>the tent if you are going to be re-pitching it later in the
>day. I cannot see how normal water will damage a tent over
>the course of a day packed into a bag in any significant
>way at all.

One day would not make any significant difference; indeed, I
can and do regularly pack my tent wet for the odd day. It's
packing it damp for many days on the trot which concerns me.

Gonzalez wrote:

> One day would not make any significant difference; indeed,
> I can and do regularly pack my tent wet for the odd day.
> It's packing it damp for many days on the trot which
> concerns me.

I don't really see it's *that* much of a problem, at least
on a quality tent. Aside from the inner maybe getting a
little damp from contact in the stuffsack it shouldn't
affect performance, and most of that is got round by folding
carefully when under cover (which is no problem if you have
a sensible tent that pitches fly first or all in one).

Bad idea to pack it wet for long term storage as any crumbs
or whatever may mutate horribly, but other than that, what's
the problem? A good tent with a silicone elastomer coating
can practically be shaken dry to a significant degree in any
case, and it won't actually *hold* water in the fabric.

Methinks you're being a tad over protective of it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

Gonzalez wrote:

> One day would not make any significant difference; indeed,
> I can and do regularly pack my tent wet for the odd day.
> It's packing it damp for many days on the trot which
> concerns me.

But it gets aired every day and the water 'changed'. So it's
not as though any mildew or other nasties are going to get
any chance to attack the fabric. Simply being wet isn't
going to do the tent fabric any harm at all if it's a
quality tent. I've got a North face Tadpole that's done me
sterling service for ten years which has had many trips
where it's been treated in just such a manner. In fact I
left it wet by 'accident' (I forgot about it) in it's stuff
sack for about three weeks once, it didn't seem to do any
damage at all. It's still in very good condition.

--
Alex BMW R1150GS DIAABTCOD#3 MSWF#4 UKRMFBC#6 Ibw#35 BOB#8
http://www.team-ukrm.co.uk Windy's "little soldier"

> my 6-person Galaxy

I didn't know Dawes made 'em that big?

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.619 /
Virus Database: 398 - Release Date: 10/03/2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:19:35 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Methinks you're being a tad over protective of it.

OK - so maybe I am being over protective. Still, it's a good
excuse to have a lie in.

In message <[email protected]>,
Gonzalez <[email protected]> writes
>On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:19:35 +0000, Peter Clinch
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Methinks you're being a tad over protective of it.
>
>OK - so maybe I am being over protective. Still, it's a
>good excuse to have a lie in.

That's more like it, though I don't find any need for an
excuse for this. :)

just a another quick brew.......
--
Chris French, Leeds

Richard Goodman wrote:
>I wouldn't do it for charity - too much hassle and I
>don't have a wide enough circle of friends and relatives
>to touch!

That's why local papers were invented!

d.

chris French wrote:
>If you can be arsed you can use a small sponge to remove
>some of the dew.

Or use a T-shirt borrowed off a nearby washing line (there
are always at least a few people on campsites who leave
their washing out overnight - the fools) then put it back on
the line and scoot before the owner wakes up.

> If you really are bothered, then stop a bit later on and
> spread it out on the verge, over a picnic table, the bike
> etc., it will soon dry out while you have a cuppa or
> whatever.

Sounds like excellent advice to me.

d.

Dave Larrington wrote;
> "The Good Life Roadshow"?

Sharing a tent with Felicity Kendall? Mmmmmm...

d.

Mark Thompson wrote:

> > my 6-person Galaxy
>
> I didn't know Dawes made 'em that big?