Ear splitting horn for dog protection?

still just me wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 08:42:31 -0700 (PDT), datakoll <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> moist dog brain-sensory nuerons are smell/nose related not ear related

> So try skipping the shower.

My dog freaks out at the sound of the vacuum cleaner... she'd probably
jump out of her skin if someone blew one of those air horns at her... of
course she's never off leash, only chases squirrels and cats; bike
riders and joggers are only of interest if they stop to pet her.

Ben Kaufman wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:07:38 -0500, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> I've never seen a dog, as far as I can recall, that wasn't
>>> _intentionally_ "running into my way". Yesterday, a pop on the nose
>>> with my front wheel (me off bike) was enough to deter a pit bull
>>> puppy. There were two of them. A little young yet for the circling,
>>> two-pronged attack, but I didn't know that for sure and thats' one
>>> reason I dismounted. --D-y

>> When an adult dog starts to circle behind you while growling, assume it
>> WILL bite if given the chance. Pepper spray is good, pepper spray and a
>> steel baton are better, and both the former and a gun are the best.
>>
>> I do not feel sorry for the dog owner for what may happen. Dogs that
>> aggressive should NEVER be lets off the leash in public spaces.

> When I was doing some online research about some behavioral problems my dog has
> I read one posting from a woman who was trying to find a way to prevent her dog
> from biting people. Apparently, this moron's dog had already nipped four people
> when off leash in various parks. She was just lucky that no one had ever called
> the authorities on her.

Or filed a civil lawsuit.

That is why I suggest a hardwood walking stick/staff. If a dog attacks,
you have a good weapon for self defense.

The worst is more than one dog, since if one is aggressive, the others
follow suit - wolf behavior still lurks below the surface.

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:51:42 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Unfortunately, what may cause one dog to run for cover might provoke an
>> attack
>> by another. And of course, it is the thoughtless and sometimes down
>> right
>> inconsiderate owners' fault, not the dogs. You might want to try
>> complaining to
>> the appropriate authorities about this, pointing out the danger,
>> especially to
>> "the children" (think of the children).
>>

>> Ben

>I totally reject the argument that it's not the dog's fault. That dog is
>making a decision to attack and to bite. It's his brain and his teeth, after
>all. Sure, the owner is an idiot, but when I see this sort of argument, the
>next line is always "don't hurt the poor doggie!" or "don't make the poor
>puppy suffer from the actions of a thoughtless owner."
>
>No. It's the dog who bites and that's the one from whom I need protection.
>
>Pat in TX

Chasing moving objects and biting are well known qualities of dog behavior. Dog
bites man is not news. When its instincts are stimulated a dog is driven by
ancestral behaviors not anything close to thoughtful decision making process.
When an owner lets his dog off leash he is greatly increasing the chances of an
undesirable outcome, much like leaving 6 year olds to play unsupervised in a
kitchen.

Ben

On Apr 8, 7:51 am, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, what may cause one dog to run for cover might provoke an
> > attack
> > by another.    And of course, it is the thoughtless and sometimes down
> > right
> > inconsiderate owners' fault, not the dogs.  You might want to try
> > complaining to
> > the appropriate authorities about this, pointing out the danger,
> > especially to
> > "the children" (think of the children).

> > Ben

> I totally reject the argument that it's not the dog's fault. That dog is
> making a decision to attack and to bite. It's his brain and his teeth, after
> all. Sure, the owner is an idiot, but when I see this sort of argument, the
> next line is always  "don't hurt the poor doggie!" or "don't make the poor
> puppy suffer from the actions of a thoughtless owner."
>
> No. It's the dog who bites and that's the one from whom I need protection.
>
> Pat in TX

Dogs don't kill people, people do?