Earliest Post to RBM or RBR?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Colorado Bicycler, Apr 23, 2006.

  1. The earliest post I can find for myself, using the Google search
    function, is Mar 1 1999 to RBR and a bit later to RBM. I then called
    myself dfox, consistent with my then email address.

    Since AOL no longer carries USENET, I can't search there, and I don't
    know whether or not Google searches back before 1999.

    I do believe I posted prior to that time.

    Also, prior to that time I was active on a bulletin board or two, but I
    can't remember what they were!

    When was the earliest post (of anyone currently around/posting) to RBR
    or RBM?

    Tags:

  2. Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > The earliest post I can find for myself, using the Google search
    > function, is Mar 1 1999 to RBR and a bit later to RBM. I then called
    > myself dfox, consistent with my then email address.
    >
    > Since AOL no longer carries USENET, I can't search there, and I don't
    > know whether or not Google searches back before 1999.
    >
    > I do believe I posted prior to that time.
    >
    > Also, prior to that time I was active on a bulletin board or two, but I
    > can't remember what they were!
    >
    > When was the earliest post (of anyone currently around/posting) to RBR
    > or RBM?

    Looks like I go back to '92 on r.b.tech, and early '93 on r.b.misc

    - Frank Krygowski

  4. Thanks.

    Looks like Frank is the winner by far.

    I didn't start "serious" bicycling until March of 1998, so I wouldn't
    have posted in a bicycling group and he has me beat by a mile for these
    forums. However, I may be older than he is! :eek:)

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    >>
    >> When was the earliest post (of anyone currently around/posting) to RBR
    >> or RBM?

    > Looks like I go back to '92 on r.b.tech, and early '93 on r.b.misc
    >
    > - Frank Krygowski

    In a casual search of rec.bicycles.* on Google Groups, they don't seem to
    have anything earlier than fall of 1989. This could be because the
    rec.bicycles newsgroup (ancestor of the rec.bicycles.* groups) didn't start
    until then, or because Google didn't have / put up the older postings.

    I wasn't around then, but I scanned some of the messages and found Jim Dyer,
    who still posts.

    Dyer's post:
    http://groups.google.com/group/sci....:rec.bicycles.*&rnum=3&hl=en#68b1b70d06037d2f
    could have been made yesterday:

    "(In our last thrilling episode, Steve Izen calculates his commute
    costs about one watermelon and two bran muffins if done by bi-
    cycle. Mark Interrante uses Cheerios. Both calculate that it's
    cheaper to pay for gas.)

    Now add in the cost of the car payments, insurance, repairs,
    maintenance, parking, storage, and tolls. Watch the price rise!

    Longer-term costs include the costs of pollution from drilling for
    oil, oil spills, refining oil, and burning oil. The latter, of
    course, includes major contributors to the greenhouse effect.

    Other long-term costs include the massive waste of land and road
    maintenance, though I don't see bicycling to work as a way to
    address that problem anytime soon.

    Another argument in favor of bicycles are the health benefits.
    And the more your health benefits, the less it costs! Also,
    if you really want to cheapen your "fuel" costs on the bike,
    try drinking water and eating oatmeal. "

    which says something about its timeless content, or the slow pace of
    argument in newsgroups ;)

  6. Top 50 newsgroups in 1983

    Note - net.bicycle

    No. of Avg.
    Rank Articles Length Group (# of different contributers)
    1 256 10 net.jokes (143)
    2 225 17 net.misc (115)
    3 199 21 net.unix-wizards (102)
    4 198 20 net.flame (99)